PDA

View Full Version : Watch Lists

XL-entLady
02-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Would anyone be interesting in posting ETFs in their current watch lists?

Right now, my watch list has several candidates, but the only ones I'm watching closely are SLV and IHI ....

Lady

teknobucks
02-05-2009, 11:16 PM
http://tinyurl.com/d75fsg

XL-entLady
02-06-2009, 02:20 AM
http://tinyurl.com/d75fsg
Most sincere thanks! Learning from the master here! :bigsmile:

Lady

teknobucks
02-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Most sincere thanks! Learning from the master here! :bigsmile:

Lady

chum on....jus a drunk on red wine who had a great day...lol

good night

etftalk
03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
What's on the watch lists? I guess it depends which way the market is going next.

There's a pretty good consensus that financials won't lead the next bull market. What will it be? Technology? Commodities? Energy, solar, agriculture?

What's new in 2009, ala the internet in the 1990's, that could spark a new wave of growth and production?

JTH
03-12-2009, 03:35 PM
What's on the watch lists? I guess it depends which way the market is going next.

There's a pretty good consensus that financials won't lead the next bull market. What will it be? Technology? Commodities? Energy, solar, agriculture?

What's new in 2009, ala the internet in the 1990's, that could spark a new wave of growth and production?

I won't make any predictions for a leader. However, people always need a few basic things to sustain life.

McDonald's crack fries
IPOD
Shelter
3G Wireless
ITUNES
Transportation
TOM TOM

Technology may not lead the way, but I'd be surprised if it were'nt the winner by the time it's all said and done.

XL-entLady
03-12-2009, 04:35 PM
That Rhodes EFT newsletter thing says that XLI looks interesting because industrials is the next big thing.

Lady

Bullitt
03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
You guys who are looking to benefit from gold/silver/platinum prices and believe oil is going to rise, think outside the box here. What countries have big mines? What about black gold?

We get a good deal of our oil from Canada and they've got some gold mines as well. EWC might be something to think about. Maybe an inverted H&S on a small pullback, upside to around 17.50 in the ST. IT-LT, upside 21-25.

XL-entLady
03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
You guys who are looking to benefit from gold/silver/platinum prices and believe oil is going to rise, think outside the box here. What countries have big mines? What about black gold?

We get a good deal of our oil from Canada and they've got some gold mines as well. EWC might be something to think about. Maybe an inverted H&S on a small pullback, upside to around 17.50 in the ST. IT-LT, upside 21-25.
Excellent thought! Great to have your suggestions, very cool!

Lady

XL-entLady
03-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Bullitt, one quick question. Does it give you a bit of pause that at least 15% of EWC is bank stock?

Lady

Bullitt
03-15-2009, 07:22 PM
No, not really because of the differences between the Canadian banking system and the US banking system. Even so, 2/3 of the fund is still natural resource and energy stocks. The chart is really a mess like most country ETF's but it's one of those ETF's that's going to move if one believes oil is going higher.

The canadian economy is overly reliant on the natural resources and oil sectors. Remember when the CAD was worth 1.03 USD or so last summer due to the oil bubble?

It's on my watch list and appears to be forming a base here. Definitely something that's on my radar.

XL-entLady
03-15-2009, 09:47 PM
No, not really because of the differences between the Canadian banking system and the US banking system. Even so, 2/3 of the fund is still natural resource and energy stocks. The chart is really a mess like most country ETF's but it's one of those ETF's that's going to move if one believes oil is going higher.

The canadian economy is overly reliant on the natural resources and oil sectors. Remember when the CAD was worth 1.03 USD or so last summer due to the oil bubble?

It's on my watch list and appears to be forming a base here. Definitely something that's on my radar.
Thanks for the quick explanation. :) I think this one will go on my watch list too. :bigsmile:

Lady

alevin
03-16-2009, 03:04 AM
Back of my brain has been telling me to look over the north border for several weeks now, for similar reasons, just hadn't gotten as far as figuring out if there was an ETF. I'm not sure how to go about buying single stocks on the TSE (CanXchange), which is what my little brain was chewing on. thanks for giving me a couple better angles to mull.

I'm planning on going into IBB tomorrow, plus a little DDG, based on buy signals given at AmBulls.com Friday for Amex biotech and sell signals on oil and oil services index. I may even dip into IMA as single stock this week (a component of IBB-charts look good, fundamentals look decent too so far but more due diligence to do there).

I'm watching the Dow and SP500 for turning points the next week or so, at which time I'll grab a few bites of DOG to hold til around 4/3, and take a deep breath on "oh-SH** to hold til around 4/17-those are based on something I read somewhere since Friday-xtrends or Slope of Hope or some such.

Lady, I was looking at IHI today, based on a buy-confirm signal for med-suppliers index at AmBulls Friday, but after looking into it, I just can't get there yet. I may go PIO one of these days for same reason, but it didn't convince me yet, nor did key component companies. :suspicious:

XL-entLady
03-16-2009, 03:39 AM
...I'm planning on going into IBB tomorrow, plus a little DDG, based on buy signals given at AmBulls.com Friday for Amex biotech and sell signals on oil and oil services index. I may even dip into IMA as single stock this week (a component of IBB-charts look good, fundamentals look decent too so far but more due diligence to do there)....
Lady, I was looking at IHI today, based on a buy-confirm signal for med-suppliers index at AmBulls Friday, but after looking into it, I just can't get there yet. I may go PIO one of these days for same reason, but it didn't convince me yet, nor did key component companies. :suspicious:
Yeah, Alevin, I watch the biotech industry closely for personal reasons and there are some exciting things on the horizon. {crossing fingers} I looked hard at IBB and IHI myself this weekend. And semiconductors (XSG and IGW) and DBB and, yes, MOO again. :toung: I'm still looking hard at semiconductors. It's written into my game plan for tomorrow, if XSG gets the pullback I'm looking for.

Good luck with IBB!

Lady

Marty
03-17-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm watching VTI and UNG.

etftalk
03-17-2009, 03:38 PM
When buying UNG, you will get a K-1 form to file with your taxes, instead of a 1099 because they are considered as partnerships for tax purposes. Just thought I'd share that. I'm sure there are other ETF's doing something similar.

XL-entLady
03-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Bullitt just suggested PXJ, which is on my watch list. And that reminded me to post that I'm also looking hard at UGA. For what it's worth,

Lady

XL-entLady
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Did you know that there is an S&P Dividend SPDR? I didn't until today. SDY closed at $32.55 today and is above its 5 and 10 DMAs, but with a 50 DMA of $33.62. It declared a quarterly divvie on 1/2/09, has a 6.8% yield, and it's going on my watch list.

Anyone know something about this EFT that I should know?

Lady

JTH
03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
That's pretty cool, I see it was paying out every 3 months up until last September. I may have to start collecting some for the long-term. Perhaps I'll get some in the 20s :eek:

Marty
03-18-2009, 04:58 AM
Bullitt just suggested PXJ, which is on my watch list. And that reminded me to post that I'm also looking hard at UGA. For what it's worth,

Lady

PXJ looks interesting.

Marty

Marty
03-18-2009, 05:30 AM
I'm going to add ILF to my watch list. Morningstar has it rated at 4 stars with an above rated return with a low overall risk.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Marty

alevin
05-11-2009, 05:00 AM
Sorry Marty, don't think any of us saw your question til now. No opinion on ILF personally. I'm working on sector rotation at the moment, both for stocks and ETF selection, myself, but volume is key. If volume is low, it's a real danger signal that the ETF may be dying and get delisted in the not too distant future. I always look for avg. volume =>$100K/day-tip I picked up somewhere along the way the last few months. You can get the avg. volume assessment via BigCharts, maybe other places. Relative volume vs. other ETFs indicates it isn't moving much at least last trading day. I found relative volume heat maps here tonight...

http://finviz.com/map.ashx?t=etf&st=relvol