PDA

View Full Version : Justbizness45's Account

justbizness45
02-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Is this my new home?? Please come on in and enjoy.

justbizness45
02-12-2009, 04:53 AM
As I stated earlier in another thread, I failed to complete my first ever ETF purchase today. Couldn't get someone to sell. I will try again tomorrow. Tried to buy SLV @13.05.

etftalk
02-12-2009, 05:29 AM
Good luck JB45!

wwwtractor
02-12-2009, 05:45 AM
http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:SLV
The low was $13.11

XL-entLady
02-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey there, JB45! Thought I'd drop by and welcome you to your new home. Love what you've done with the place! :bigsmile:

Lady

justbizness45
02-13-2009, 02:01 AM
OK, finally! A new chapter in my life has been completed!! My first purchase of a ETF. I got SLV @ 13.32 today. This is a long term position.

Put in a limit GTC order for ICO (International Coal Group) @ 2.30 hopefully it will fill tomorrow. I want this for another long term position.

It's a shame I can't do this at work.:suspicious: Darn computer Nazi's.

etftalk
02-13-2009, 05:34 AM
OK, good luck again. Now you're addicted. :D

It's a shame I can't do this at work.:suspicious: Darn computer Nazi's.
How about an iphone or something? I don't go anywhere without my laptop and Verizon card - just in case.

justbizness45
02-13-2009, 01:05 PM
OK, good luck again. Now you're addicted. :D

How about an iphone or something? I don't go anywhere without my laptop and Verizon card - just in case.

I work in a secure area. No camera's on phone, no persoonal computers or anything that information can be downloaded onto. Blackberry's must be issued by the org. and I am not high enough on the foodchain to rate one.

etftalk
02-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Don't tell me anymore, or you'll probably have to kill me. :D

justbizness45
02-14-2009, 06:02 AM
Don't tell me anymore, or you'll probably have to kill me. :D

Thats OK, they don't do that anymore....:eek:

justbizness45
02-14-2009, 07:04 AM
Since the stimulus bill is going to pass, I am thinking about a clean energy ETF for a long position. ILCN, GEX, KWT or PBW. ICLN has the lowest expense ratio @ 0.48 but is global vice U.S. Anyone already holding a clean energy ETF?

justbizness45
02-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Tom/Lady or anyone else. How do you determine when to sell? Technical analysis, a set percentage or a combination of both? What method do you use on an upward trend? Limit Sell?

XL-entLady
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Tom/Lady or anyone else. How do you determine when to sell? Technical analysis, a set percentage or a combination of both? What method do you use on an upward trend? Limit Sell?
JB, with the caveat that I'm just learning this stuff myself, here is the way I decide. And it depends from trade to trade. I make myself write down a trading plan before I ever enter a trade, including the entry point I want and the exit strategy. Sometimes that exit strategy will include a stop or trailing stop. (If I use a stop I try to set that stop just off of technical indicators, or it will be triggered the same time that everyone else's stops are and I'll get trampled.) Sometimes my position just has an expected exit price.

I always include in my plan the reason why I entered the trade, to keep the goal in mind as I look back at the plan afterwards. Then I exit according to my plan. :) Or if the market doesn't move according to my plan I exit as soon as I see my plan sucked. :embarrest:

And if things are moving too fast for me to take 5 minutes to write up a plan, then they are moving too fast for me to be in that trade in the first place. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth,
Lady

etftalk
02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Lady got it. A plan is a good idea. Is it a swing trade (days), a long term hold ( weeks, months, etc), or a scalp / day trade?

I also watch the market for overbought / oversold readings and sentiment to know if we could be seeing a reversal any time soon.

As Oscar (livewithoscar.com) says, it's never too soon to take a profit. But he is a day trader so he closes out all trades by the close. While I do make day trades occasionally, I'm not a day trader, but if I see a 20% profit in a position, I start thinking about exiting, or raising my stop.

Selling is a tough decision. I think Revshark has a chapter in his book about that.

justbizness45
02-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Thanks Lady & Tom, I will have to chew on that awhile.

I bought SLV the other day at 13.32. Today's high was 14.19. I haven't got a plan on when to sell so I guess I need to figure one out.

I've gotten killed on my ICO. No stop. My only recourse is to hold long term. It should come back up when the energy sector comes back. I hope...:unsure:

JTH
02-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Good luck on you SLV trade, I keep waiting for it to pull back, but I've yet to find an opportunity to pull the trigger.

If I had to venture a guess???

When Gold hits 1,000 we might get some profit taking, perhaps SLV will follow. But hey, it's just a guess...

justbizness45
02-19-2009, 02:57 AM
After reading Lady's 4 page post on ETF&Markets my plan is the following. SLV is above it's 200DMA so I am going to set an 8% trailing stop and let it ride.

http://www.etftalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=834#post834

justbizness45
02-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks Lady & Tom, I will have to chew on that awhile.

I bought SLV the other day at 13.32. Today's high was 14.19. I haven't got a plan on when to sell so I guess I need to figure one out.

I've gotten killed on my ICO. No stop. My only recourse is to hold long term. It should come back up when the energy sector comes back. I hope...:unsure:

I just looked at ICO with the 200 EMA, it looks like the S&P 500 chart. I think I may sell and chalk the transaction up to experience. I don't think it's coming back for awhile.

XL-entLady
02-19-2009, 03:17 AM
I just looked at ICO with the 200 EMA, it looks like the S&P 500 chart. I think I may sell and chalk the transaction up to experience. I don't think it's coming back for awhile.
Yeah, I've have ones like that too. Took a position too fast just to put my money to work, then will hold it to at least try to make my commission costs back. :wacko: I'm coming around to thinking that maybe it's better to find somewhere else to put my funds where they have a better chance of making money than to get caught in the "buy-n-pray" type of buy and hold scenario. :)

Lady

JTH
02-19-2009, 04:10 AM
I had to make a similar type loss on AIG, mostly because I just don't have the patience to watch myself lose money :bigsmile:

That coal chart looks ugly!!! Darn thing took a nose dive the previous time the STO hit under 20

Have you looked at USO lately? Embedded STO since Feb... :huh:

Here$14U
02-19-2009, 05:16 AM
SCO is the inverse ETF of USO. Unbelievable move in SCO, wish I had some of that! How much higher can it go?

justbizness45
02-19-2009, 12:58 PM
SCO is the inverse ETF of USO. Unbelievable move in SCO, wish I had some of that! How much higher can it go?

Hey H14FU, nice to see you over here. It's outside it's upper Bollinger band and hasn't stopped. I wish I had seen that run coming.:bigsmile:

justbizness45
02-21-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm up 6% and change on my SLV. I tried to set a trailing stop but since I have <100 shares Zecco wouldn't let me. As long as it stays above it's 200EMA I will continue to hold as a long position.

Since my ICO has gone south I am thinking about doubling down my position to lower my overall cost. I'd love to hear any opinions on that thought.:rolleyes:

Here$14U
02-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Hi Justbizness45;
I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way, we are all here to learn, including myself.
I looked at a chart of ICO at stockcharts.com. These are the indicators I put on it. Bollinger Bands, 5dy moving average, 10dymoving average, CCI20, slow stochastics, and MACD.
$1.50 is a key support area, and you may get a bounce off that as you have had 6 down days in a row. If that bounce comes I would sell 1/3 of your position at the 5dy moving average level, 1/3 of your position at the 10 day moving average level, and 1/3 of your position at the 20 day moving average level if it gets there. Why?
1) Volume was very heavy on the sell off indicating a massive amount of sellers, on the way back up, there will be many more sellers getting out to salvage what they can.
2) The MACD is now below zero and falling indicating a very weak picture going forward.
3) The 5dy moving average is below the 20 dy moving average indicating the sellers are in control.
The good news is the CCI20 and Slow Stochastics are oversold so there should be some sort of a pop coming up soon. Take advantage of it and sell as mentioned above. It's never easy taking a loss but its worse getting locked into a bad situtation and throwing good money after bad. Never average down when the 20daymoving average is declining. Hope this helps. This is what I would do in this situation. 14U:)

JTH
02-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Since my ICO has gone south I am thinking about doubling down my position to lower my overall cost. I'd love to hear any opinions on that thought.:rolleyes:

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but I was interested in doing some quick research myself.

March, April & May are the strongest months, but I'm not sure those same rules apply during a bear market. But still, those months did well for 2008.
My main concern would be the Conference Call on Feb 12. That's when the stock went into a landslide. I'd want to listen to that call and see what their projections are.

I noticed the 3 insider trading events just after the conference call. I'm not sure how to analyze those events. It could be an attempt to show faith in their stock, or it could be that they have the time and money to go long at these levels.

Regardless, I'm not sure I'd do anything until the stochastic gets above 20. Just looking at the last time they embedded is enough to keep me away.

But do keep in mind, I'm not long on anything, including shorts.

Best of luck.

justbizness45
02-21-2009, 04:17 PM
14U and JTH, thank you for your analysis!!:bigsmile: This is how we learn and I am very appreciative of your opinions. I will do some reasearch this weekend and reset my stops and we will see what happens. Thanks again for the insight.

justbizness45
02-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Found this on ICO, stock went up 9.4% today. They did an SEC filing of form a 8-K. Looks like they renegotiated their loan terms. I am going to just take a long term position and not panic.:huh:

Using my 20/20 hindsight I would not have made the purchase, but since I did and there isn't a large amount of cash involved I think I will let it ride.

14U I added your last sentence of sage advice about doubling down to my notes. Thanks again!!:)

justbizness45
02-25-2009, 12:23 AM
My ICO position was made @ 2.17 still holding :wacko:(I bought the day before I started this thread). My SLV position is still @ 13.32.

justbizness45
02-28-2009, 02:59 AM
Thinking about moving into GDX or increasing SLV position on Monday. I like what I am reading and seeing. With this drawback I may get a good entry point on Monday.

XL-entLady
02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Thinking about moving into GDX or increasing SLV position on Monday. I like what I am reading and seeing. With this drawback I may get a good entry point on Monday.
Looks like GDX started coming off its lows Friday afternoon. I'm going back in on the first pullback after open Monday. SLV isn't showing any signs of life. Not sure why. I already have a - for my small account - fairly heavy postion there so I'm not going to add to it. For what it's worth,

Lady

justbizness45
03-01-2009, 04:18 AM
Here's a little diddy on silver:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/video/10466919/35-silver-in-2-years.html?cm_ven=YAHOOV&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA&s=1#14375381001

I'll post it on the silver thread also

justbizness45
03-02-2009, 02:02 AM
Based on the HSBC reports, financials will probably get hammered tomorrow. From 350Z's thread on the other site:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/trading-halted-hsbcs-stock-hong/story.aspx?guid=%7BE11E544D-D871-4D17-A992-4F60B1065ECB%7D&siteid=bulletrss#comments

Time to go to short ETFs again??

justbizness45
03-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Decision Moose is staying in gold for another week. Enlightening analysis of last week's decisions.

http://www.decisionmoose.com/Moosecalls.html

etftalk
03-02-2009, 04:42 AM
Perfect! But it looks like it is going to be a Monday morning gap open and anyone long gold (or silver) and/or short financials may want to use a trailing stop once the market opens. Those gaps tend to get filled pretty quickly.

Gumby
03-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Perfect! But it looks like it is going to be a Monday morning gap open and anyone long gold (or silver) and/or short financials may want to use a trailing stop once the market opens. Those gaps tend to get filled pretty quickly.

Tom, your decision to hold FAZ over the weekend was a great one!
Do you think GDX will move up or will just GLD soar this morning?

SDS will open about 4 bucks higher is the futures level holds.

etftalk
03-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Do you think GDX will move up or will just GLD soar this morning?
I still like the chart on GDX. I'll be moving my stop up to just below Friday's close.

etftalk
03-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I still like the chart on GDX. I'll be moving my stop up to just below Friday's close.
Friday's low was taken out on GDX. All bets are off.

justbizness45
03-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Bought more SLV today. Unfortunately I had to place the order pre-market as I am not able to trade at work. As a result my order filled first thing this morning @ 13.00 for a total position in SLV @ 13.11.:suspicious: I need to figure out a better way..........

justbizness45
03-17-2009, 12:52 AM
Sorry I haven't been posting much. After 3 failed attempts to buy GE last week and the resulting loss of gain because the transactions didn't happen I was frustrated. Today I did put in a pre-market order for C @ 1.95 before I went to work. When I saw C up 33% today I tried to log on and see if it the order has closed so I could sell and couldn't get on the site due to work's security. The buy did close @ 1.95. Now I have to decide if I want to hold or sell tomorrow before I go to work.:huh: Still holding my SLV.

justbizness45
03-17-2009, 01:12 AM
From Denniger on the Market-Ticker:

Floating around DC from little birds tweeting (a piece of which apparently got caught up by CNBC this afternoon) is an idea that would actually work to jumpstart investment and private capital flows.
Exempt any purchase made this year only from capital gains tax no matter when it is sold.
Now this year that will not likely cost much if anything, because there are little in the way of capital gains right now (among houses, etc.)
It will have back end costs, but it will also drive capital into the markets in a major way.
We currently have a crisis of confidence. To fix it you can either lock up all the fraudsters or you can put raw, red meat in front of the tiger - that is, crank up the "greed" dial.
The former is hard, the latter is easy.
This would be easy.
President Obama, here's the proposal:

Any asset purchased by 12/31/2009 is exempt from capital gains tax no matter when it is sold.
Exempt instruments include machinery, equipment, real estate and improvements to same (both commercial and residential) and any security traded on a listed exchange with a central clearing counterparty.
Explicitly NOT included are OTC private-party securities such as CDS.
This will:

Drive capital out of "the mattress"; if you don't buy by 12/31, too bad so sad. This focuses the stimulus on both the time and place where it is needed.
Is non-discriminatory as to where you put the capital, but if you sell and buy after 12/31, you likewise lose the exemption, so this provides incentives for long term buy and hold transactions, which are precisely what you want.
Specifically provides an incentive for capital formation in small business; the potential gains here are monstrous, but of course so are the risks. Since small business creates most jobs, this is a good thing to provide incentives for.
Incents people to buy both stocks and bonds - that is, to re-enter the capital markets.
This would immediately reverse the funds flow out of mutual funds, it would provide funds to business via bond sales, it would provide incentives to buy common stocks and it would promote long-term ownership.
While "traders" (myself included) would benefit this trader would have to seriously consider sticking a good chunk of my available funds into an account intended not to be touched for 20 years spread across various investments; this would provide people with a one-time way to get themselves what amounts to an infinite-size 401k or IRA, yet you have to do it now when the economy clearly needs it.
You want to fix the capital markets?
That would do it.
(Yes, it would hit cap gains tax receipts in forward years, but hopefully economic growth would cover the shortfall. This much I know - it's a hell of a lot better idea than "spray and pray" with government spending, and wouldn't require Treasury issuance. Even better if President Obama was to propose this not one Republican could oppose it, given their claimed propensity to support "tax cuts". Hubba hubba.)

http://market-ticker.denninger.net/

It has potential!!:rolleyes:

justbizness45
03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Sold C position @ 2.95. Purchased 3/16 @ 1.95. First profit trade:nuts:!!

JTH
03-18-2009, 07:39 PM

Congrats! Ch Ching, that there is a nice profit :)

justbizness45
03-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks JTH.:) I put the limit order in a few days ago and didn't expect it to run up so fast. It might have been smarter to put in a trailing stop but that probably would have triggered in the voltility. Made out ok but might have been able to do better. I'm still learning the ropes and glad I finally made a profit. Still holding SLV waiting for commodities to ramp up. :sick::embarrest:

etftalk
03-19-2009, 04:29 PM
You and Rod were all over that one. I was too chicken to play. Good for you!

XL-entLady
03-19-2009, 04:40 PM

I put the limit order in a few days ago and didn't expect it to run up so fast. It might have been smarter to put in a trailing stop but that probably would have triggered in the voltility. Made out ok but might have been able to do better. I'm still learning the ropes and glad I finally made a profit.
Very nice job, my friend! I was being too much of a chicklet to buy C when you and Rod jumped in. You guys get a gold star!

I'm just in the beginning stages of learning whether to choose a limit order or a trailing stop for my safety net. But one thing that FAZ taught me is that on large positions I have to have a net of some kind because that ground is d***n hard! Paid some tuition to ETF University for that lesson! :toung:

Lady

justbizness45
03-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Very nice job, my friend! I was being too much of a chicklet to buy C when you and Rod jumped in. You guys get a gold star!

I'm just in the beginning stages of learning whether to choose a limit order or a trailing stop for my safety net. But one thing that FAZ taught me is that on large positions I have to have a net of some kind because that ground is d***n hard! Paid some tuition to ETF University for that lesson! :toung:

Lady
Rod gets a double gold star, got in earlier than me.

I lost 40% on my first trade with ICO. :embarrest: ETFU is almost as expensive a my daughter's college.:eek:

justbizness45
03-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Lady, I like the look of CVY right now. Thanks for sharing. I put in a limit order for it at 11.00. We will see if it fills.:rolleyes:

XL-entLady
03-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Lady, I like the look of CVY right now. Thanks for sharing. I put in a limit order for it at 11.00. We will see if it fills.:rolleyes:
Good luck with it, my friend. :)

Lady

justbizness45
03-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Good luck with it, my friend. :)

Lady

CVY trade didn't happen. My C trade hadn't closed so the new trade was rejected. Good news is I found what I am supposed to look at "Buying Power" amount not my account value. :embarrest: Maybe for the best, CVY went down on Friday.

justbizness45
03-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Since I am still going long right now, or trying to and I already am in SLV. I was thinking of getting into some oil. A lot of you track and trade USO, does anyone follow UOY? It was up 2.9% on Friday vice 1.32% for USO. It is a smaller fund but the price is 1/10th of USO.

Here$14U
03-23-2009, 12:57 AM
JB45: I'd be careful of ETF's trading less than 100K shares a day. Show-Me might be able to shed some light on this one. I know he was warning folks that some thinly traded ETF's may be discontinued. He had a list, I believe somewhere of these thinly traded ETF's that may be discontinued. USO has more volume and safer, a better one might be UCO up 2.68% Friday. Trade well!:bigsmile:

alevin
03-23-2009, 03:34 AM
JB45: I'd be careful of ETF's trading less than 100K shares a day. Show-Me might be able to shed some light on this one. I know he was warning folks that some thinly traded ETF's may be discontinued. He had a list, I believe somewhere of these thinly traded ETF's that may be discontinued. USO has more volume and safer, a better one might be UCO up 2.68% Friday. Trade well!:bigsmile:

I'm with 14U on that one, JB. One of my main weed-out criteria is the $100K avg. monthly volume threshold. I saw and copied for use that same Seeking Alpha article when it came out in January. It was Technobucks who posted the link in the Watch Out for these ETFs thread down below.

UOY is on the list. Take a look at this article.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/118125-macroshares-undergo-ridiculous-4-1-split

justbizness45
03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Alevin, H14U, As a newb I have learned to ask before leaping. Great info.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Just bought UCO @ 10.11

Still holding SLV @ 13.11

justbizness45
03-26-2009, 03:35 AM
Put in a limit order for FAZ @ 19.30. We will see if it fills tomorrow. Still holding SLV and UCO. I think financials will turn bearish very soon and want to be in for the fun.

justbizness45
03-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Put in a limit order for FAZ @ 19.30. We will see if it fills tomorrow. Still holding SLV and UCO. I think financials will turn bearish very soon and want to be in for the fun.

FAZ order filled @ 18.73. I will probably hold it for awhile.

justbizness45
03-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Put in a limit sell on my FAZ @ $20.50. I've got to start remembering to do that. I could have been out of it today as the high was $20.60 but I didn't set a sell limit.:embarrest: The 3X makes me nervous to stay in long term.:confused:

XL-entLady
03-27-2009, 02:53 AM
Put in a limit sell on my FAZ @ $20.50. I've got to start remembering to do that. I could have been out of it today as the high was $20.60 but I didn't set a sell limit.:embarrest: The 3X makes me nervous to stay in long term.:confused:
First of all, my friend, thanks for your visit to my home and for the kind words!

I know what you mean about staying in FAZ, or any leveraged EFT for that matter. The fact that each day is a clean slate up or down, rather than having it be a simple compounding of the 1x ETF over time, is a different concept to wrap our heads around.

And I get the feeling that "FAZ" is going to become one of our MB family history words. You know ... those things that have added meaning to us because of a backstory? For the moment, it seems to be a learning opportunity for us all. :nuts:

Lady

justbizness45
03-27-2009, 04:45 AM
First of all, my friend, thanks for your visit to my home and for the kind words!

I know what you mean about staying in FAZ, or any leveraged EFT for that matter. The fact that each day is a clean slate up or down, rather than having it be a simple compounding of the 1x ETF over time, is a different concept to wrap our heads around.

And I get the feeling that "FAZ" is going to become one of our MB family history words. You know ... those things that have added meaning to us because of a backstory? For the moment, it seems to be a learning opportunity for us all. :nuts:

Lady

I know what you mean. UCO is double leveraged, but the 3Xs with me not being able to trade at work, I need to be very careful. I want to minimize paying more tuition to ETF University.

justbizness45
03-30-2009, 04:02 AM
Decision Moose stayed in gold for another week. Weekly commentary at the link:

http://decisionmoose.com/Moosecalls.html

I'll post on gold page also.

justbizness45
03-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Changed my FAZ sell from 20.50 to 23.00. It is currently 22.50 premarket. I thought about going to 25.00 but decided to not get greedy. Bought at 18.73. UCO is getting killed and my SLV is also down early but both are long term position for me. :unsure:

etftalk
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm surprised silver and gold are not reacting better today. I guess the strength in the dollar is hurting them.

justbizness45
03-31-2009, 03:52 AM
I'm surprised silver and gold are not reacting better today. I guess the strength in the dollar is hurting them.

I was surprised also at GLD/SLV. My FAZ did sell @ 23.00 today for 22.8% profit. UCO is down 19% from my purchase price so I am break even between the two. I will probably hold UCO until the dollar starts dropping. FAZ and UCO are both the wife's ROTH account.

justbizness45
04-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Video on leveraged ETFs from Coolhand's TSPTalk thread. Must watch if trading leveraged ETFs.

http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?t=6317

justbizness45
04-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Video on leveraged ETFs from Coolhand's TSPTalk thread. Must watch if trading leveraged ETFs.

This also from his thread.

http://www.indexuniverse.com/sections/newsinfocus/5614-direxion-files-for-41-new-etfs-tied-to-monthly-returns.html

justbizness45
04-02-2009, 01:34 AM

This should work better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEYW2CPWHYE&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEYW2CPWHYE&feature=related)

justbizness45
04-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muz4HmFYrHs

XL-entLady
04-02-2009, 02:17 AM

http://www.indexuniverse.com/sections/newsinfocus/5614-direxion-files-for-41-new-etfs-tied-to-monthly-returns.html
Thanks for spreading the news. I had heard the rumor this was coming but hadn't seen anything official until now.

Lady

etftalk
04-02-2009, 03:03 AM

"If you were to assume that based on this cumulative return of the index, the bull fund would have experienced a 27% loss and the bear fund would've experienced a 27% gain, you would unfortunately be incorrect," wrote the company in the document. "In fact, for that time frame, the bull and bear funds returned -34.46% and 6.32%, respectively."

So, does that mean we should be shorting the bull fund (FAS) rather than buying the bear (FAZ)?

Actually, after listening to the videos about the daily compounding, it sounds like we should always be shorting the opposite fund with every trade during a volatile market. If you think financials are going down, short FAS. If you think they are going up, short the FAZ. At least until they change to monthly compounding.

Is there a flaw in my thinking?

etftalk
04-02-2009, 03:12 AM
I think this is so important, that I copied these last few threads over to the ETF trading forum... http://www.etftalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430

justbizness45
04-02-2009, 03:54 AM
That's why I posted it. It explains a lot about why I have gotten my posterior kicked more often than not with the leveraged ETFs and I just got lucky with my last FAZ trade. I had a gross conceptual error in how they operate. It also tells me that holding a losing Bear Leveraged ETF is a poor choice in most cases. I will sell my UCO tomorrow and chalk it up to tuition to ETF University.:suspicious:

Uptrend
04-02-2009, 05:24 AM
I have known how leveraged ETFs work and have always been leery of them. I will only use FAZ or FAS in a rapidly falling or rising market, and just hold for a few days.

justbizness45
04-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Got out of UCO 2X leveraged today @ 9.33. Good day for oil so I only lost 8%. I was down a lot more yesterday. Learned my lesson on leveraged ETFs.:wacko:

Bought some F today on a long term hold. Putting it away and forgetting about it.

Thanks to everyone for all the good discussion.:)

XL-entLady
04-03-2009, 02:47 AM
....Learned my lesson on leveraged ETFs.:wacko:
....Thanks to everyone for all the good discussion.:)
Boy, do I hear that! No leveraged ETFs for me either for a while. Got to learn to walk before I can run.

Thanks for hosting this discussion. :)

Lady

JTH
04-03-2009, 04:32 AM
Got to learn to walk before I can run.Lady

More like running with scissors. :toung:

I never had plans on holding these ETFs for more than a few days. From now on I'll have to use stops, release quicker, and look for stronger opportunities.

justbizness45
04-03-2009, 05:12 AM
More like running with scissors. :toung:

I never had plans on holding these ETFs for more than a few days. From now on I'll have to use stops, release quicker, and look for stronger opportunities.

For me it's like taking the grandkids to the park, if I can't watch they can't go. I can't trade at work so these leveraged ETFs are only for use if I am not working, which seems like never..:nuts:

justbizness45
04-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Oscar's video today, the market's going UP!!:nuts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i46gxnIDfRI

justbizness45
04-07-2009, 03:27 AM
Got out of UCO 2X leveraged today @ 9.33. Good day for oil so I only lost 8%. I was down a lot more yesterday. Learned my lesson on leveraged ETFs.:wacko:

Bought some F today on a long term hold. Putting it away and forgetting about it.

Thanks to everyone for all the good discussion.:)

Well so much for putting away and forgetting about it. Buy price was 2.90. Today it hit 4.00 and I didn't have a stop in. :embarrest: 26% up at close I guess I am going to sell. I didn't expect this much this fast, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, sooo put in a sell order for 3.70. I may revise it in the A.M. depending on the futures.

justbizness45
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Put in a buy order for dbb @ 13.80. Sell order for F is in @ 3.65.

Still holding SLV.

justbizness45
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Put in a buy order for dbb @ 13.80. Sell order for F is in @ 3.65.

Still holding SLV.

Too high a percentage tied up in SLV. Placed a sell for half @ 12.00

justbizness45
04-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Final stats from this mornings orders:
F sale closed @ 3.65 (+25.8%) bought @ 2.90
Bought DBB @ 13.65
Sold 50% of my SLV @ 12.00 (-8.5%) bought @ 13.11

justbizness45
04-07-2009, 11:54 PM
I have to wait for sales to close, but I may look to get some FAZ if this downtrend continues to the end of the week.

JTH
04-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Nice gains on Ford, and perhaps you timed it just right. OBTW we had 4 Bearish Haramis within the S&P 500 and Ford was one of them. :toung:

justbizness45
04-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks JTH :) I got lucky. May have sold early, but I am more than happy with the gains. I hate to get greedy.....

DBB is up 4.18%
SLV is down -6.88%. Everything else is in cash. I am going to spend some time this weekend trying to decide where to go next. My tiny account is starting to grow and I have made back my losses from ICO earlier this year.

justbizness45
04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Still holding SLV (13.00) and DBB (13.65).

Bought PFF @ 25.48 yesterday. Probably should have held out for a lower price.:suspicious:

justbizness45
04-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Buy order in for FAZ @ 11.75 hope it fills.:unsure:

XL-entLady
04-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Still holding SLV (13.00) and DBB (13.65).

Bought PFF @ 25.48 yesterday. Probably should have held out for a lower price.:suspicious:
I'm holding SLV, DBB and PFF too. I'm getting really tired of the SLV and thinking the money could be in something that will earn more in the short term. But I'm loving my DBB and think it still has lots of upside, and PFF is still paying huge divvies. :)

Lady

justbizness45
04-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Buy order in for FAZ @ 11.75 hope it fills.:unsure:

My dad always told me, be careful what you ask for. Buy order closed at 11.66 and FAZ closed at 9.30......Ouch....

justbizness45
04-23-2009, 01:51 AM
FAZ has shot straight up and closed above it's 200EMA. With the sell off in financials today it may gap up again tomorrow. There is alot of voltility out there. Set a sell limit at 14.00. Maybe I will get lucky and fill it.

SLV is still down 6%. Bought @ 13.00
DBB is up a couple of percent and maintaining it's own. Bought @ 13.65

I didn't realize it but on the 15th my stop triggered and my PFF sold @ 26.00. :embarrest: Guess I need to watch a little closer.

justbizness45
04-24-2009, 03:55 AM
FAZ has shot straight up and closed above it's 200EMA. With the sell off in financials today it may gap up again tomorrow. There is alot of voltility out there. Set a sell limit at 14.00. Maybe I will get lucky and fill it.

SLV is still down 6%. Bought @ 13.00
DBB is up a couple of percent and maintaining it's own. Bought @ 13.65

I didn't realize it but on the 15th my stop triggered and my PFF sold @ 26.00. :embarrest: Guess I need to watch a little closer.

Took the cash and bought more FAZ today at 8.85.:unsure:

justbizness45
04-25-2009, 04:28 AM
Anyone subscribe to Morningstar on YouTube? Interesting vid on dividend stocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-edY_yrasw

Here is an interesting vid on Bonds vs. Stock Market by flaskofcoffee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFsRqME9GMw

justbizness45
04-29-2009, 01:30 AM
I am breaking my 3X ETF rule and continuing to hold FAZ. I have 2 FAZ positions 8.85:) and 11.66:suspicious:. I am having a hard time believing all the c^%& coming out and that the financials haven't tanked. I still believe it will happen so I am continuing to hold.

XL-entLady
04-29-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm not getting JB45's videos. Just a big blank space where they are supposed to be. :( Anyone else having the problem? Or is it my Norton software "overprotecting" me again?!:suspicious:

Lady

justbizness45
04-29-2009, 04:24 AM
I'm not getting JB45's videos. Just a big blank space where they are supposed to be. :( Anyone else having the problem? Or is it my Norton software "overprotecting" me again?!:suspicious:

Lady

I came in as a visitor and was able to access them. You can also get to them on YouTube by looking at recent Morningstar and FlaskofCoffee vids.

XL-entLady
04-29-2009, 10:21 AM

Lady

I came in as a visitor and was able to access them. You can also get to them on YouTube by looking at recent Morningstar and FlaskofCoffee vids.
Thanks for checking, JB. It was my Norton. It seems like every time it installs an update, I have to go in and dial something down before it works the way I need it too.:wacko:

Lady

justbizness45
04-30-2009, 01:12 AM
I work for DON, we get McAfee for free home use as part of the contract for using it Navy wide. It doesn't change setting on updates. I really like it myself.

justbizness45
05-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Decision Moose stayed in cash through 5/10.

http://decisionmoose.com/Moosecalls.html

justbizness45
05-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Sold my FAZ this morning for a loss. Looking at the news I should have held on for a few more days. KD has news on the banks and GM that I probably would not have sold if I had known this morning.

http://market-ticker.denninger.net/

On a better note my other positions in PBB and SLV are doing well.