PDA

View Full Version : JTH's Account

etftalk
02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Good luck JTH. I got your message:

JTH: Bought SDS @ 86.39

JTH
02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks Tom that was fast, you're da heat!

Bought SDS @ 86.39

JTH
02-19-2009, 02:49 AM
Good evening's folks.

Feel free to chime in anytime, I love to hear other's perspectives.

I just wanted to post some quick thoughts on my position in SDS @ 86.39. I didn't enjoy missing out on Tuesday's gains, but at the same time I wasn't up to accepting risk, until we got confirmation of a direction.

I plan on holding SDS long enough to make a profit, nothing more, nothing less. If par chance the markets test November's lows, then I'll likely bail to the sidelines, and wait 3 days for my funds to settle, while researching my next move.

etftalk
02-19-2009, 03:15 AM
I like the short as I am suspecting next week could be ugly, but that we could see an options related bounce Thurs. or Friday of this week.

JTH
02-19-2009, 03:55 AM
I like the short as I am suspecting next week could be ugly, but that we could see an options related bounce Thurs. or Friday of this week.

Thanks for posting that. I saw someone else post something similar in a blog. This serves to remind me that there may be a head fake coming...

http://ew-indextrader.blogspot.com/
"We're getting to the point that the selling should kick in. It could be that the market makers are just trying to get us past option expiration week (Friday). We'll see."

JTH
02-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Good evening everyone.

I'm a bit nervous about SDS. Why you might ask?

Because every single source, blog, and forum member I follow are all in full-on bear mode. When too many people lean too far to one side, can the boat flip over?

Honestly, I don't know, I'm just treating this trade one day at a time.

etftalk
02-20-2009, 01:07 PM
It looks like you can take some profits this morning if you are getting nervous. Cool! :)

Gumby
02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Good evening everyone.

I'm a bit nervous about SDS. Why you might ask?

Because every single source, blog, and forum member I follow are all in full-on bear mode. When too many people lean too far to one side, can the boat flip over?

Honestly, I don't know, I'm just treating this trade one day at a time.

JTH,

If you are worried about it, I suggest putting in a trailing stop of say 2%. Then just back away and don't worry about it. If SDS goes up you make money. If SDS goes down and triggers the stop.....you make money.:)

JTH
02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Copy that, guys, I'll put in a stop here shortly, as I've got other matters to attend to. Perhaps It's just weird to see everything you read, plan and watch actually come true?

JTH
02-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks Tom that was fast, you're da heat!

Bought SDS @ 86.39

Sold SDS @ 91.40 for a profit of 5.79% (not including transaction fee)

etftalk
02-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Nice trade, and good thinking - taking profits. I am thinking Monday could be a big up day, based on pre/post options historical action. Big down day on Thurs/Fri of options week tends to get reversed the following Monday.

XL-entLady
02-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Good job! Giant happy face!

Lady

Gumby
02-20-2009, 09:24 PM

Great job! Just think how long it would have taken to have made that in CD's. :)

JTH
02-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks everyone.

Tom, I certainly agree and I'd rather not be invested over the weekend. And as much as I like SDS, I'd rather see this market take a breather. I've also taken a position in stocks in TSP, so this will gove me something else to concentrate on, while I wait the 3 days for the funds to settle.

Lady, thank you for inviting me, I'm glad to have a new place with friendly familiar people to sharpen the o'l ETF skills. :)

Gumby!!! We almost got 95, I should have bailed in the 94s, but hey, either ways, your right. At lease I'm not tied up in CDs right now. :bigsmile:

Gumby
02-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks everyone.

Tom, I certainly agree and I'd rather not be invested over the weekend. And as much as I like SDS, I'd rather see this market take a breather. I've also taken a position in stocks in TSP, so this will gove me something else to concentrate on, while I wait the 3 days for the funds to settle.

Lady, thank you for inviting me, I'm glad to have a new place with friendly familiar people to sharpen the o'l ETF skills. :)

Gumby!!! We almost got 95, I should have bailed in the 94s, but hey, either ways, your right. At lease I'm not tied up in CDs right now. :bigsmile:

I generally set a limit order to buy or sell at the price I want. 20/20 hindsight, I should have just sent market orders in for SDS and SSO. I really thought SDS had a good chance of touching 95 yesterday and only missed it by 20 cents. Oh well, there is always next week.:)

justbizness45
02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
so this will gove me something else to concentrate on, while I wait the 3 days for the funds to settle.

OK, newbie question: 3 days for funds to settle?? Is that due to options trading or is that any sell? Thanks, JB

JTH
02-21-2009, 05:55 PM
OK, newbie question: 3 days for funds to settle?? Is that due to options trading or is that any sell? Thanks, JB

I'm not really sure what it is and I can't seem to find any information on it. I came across the reference in Show-Me's account talk ( I think)

It might be some kind of ROTH IRA rule that prevents you from day trading multiple times within a day.

Anyways, after I sell a stock, I have to wait about 3 days before I can use that money again. I can use other money in the account, just not the money That came from that stock.

etftalk
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Once you buy an ETF (or stock, etc.) and sell it, you can buy another right away, but you can't sell that one until the prior sale has settled. Otherwise it is considered a "free ride" trade and the SEC does not allow that.

Assuming you don't have other funds in the account to cover the new trade, you can be given a margin call and they will ask you to deposit money in your account to cover it (you can't sell something to meet the call).

With Scottrade, you have to have day trader status and a $25,000 minimum balance to waive the 3 day settlement rule.

I found this out the hard way when I had my $25K in my Scottrade account, but withdrew some to put into a futures trading account. All of a sudden I was not allowed to day trade anymore and I had a margin call. :eek:

JTH
02-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Once you buy an ETF (or stock, etc.) and sell it, you can buy another right away, but you can't sell that one until the prior sale has settled. Otherwise it is considered a "free ride" trade and the SEC does not allow that.

I don't think I have a margin account, and I've notice USAA won't let me use the SDS cash for anything, until the funds have settled. I guess they made it idiot proof?

justbizness45
02-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Assuming you don't have other funds in the account to cover the new trade, you can be given a margin call and they will ask you to deposit money in your account to cover it (you can't sell something to meet the call).

With Scottrade, you have to have day trader status and a $25,000 minimum balance to waive the 3 day settlement rule.

I found this out the hard way when I had my $25K in my Scottrade account, but withdrew some to put into a futures trading account. All of a sudden I was not allowed to day trade anymore and I had a margin call. :eek:

Thanks Tom!!

JTH
02-25-2009, 06:47 AM
The funds have settled :)

I don't believe for a minute we have any upside left. How do I know this? I don't, I don't know anything, I'm as dumb as a box of rocks. :wacko:

I haven't put in for a position yet, but if I do, I may go short SDS, gold, silver, or oil. I'm not in a hurry, so I may sit this out for a few days and see if the market picks a direction.

Regarding TSP, I'm getting frustrated with my timing. I'm almost convinced a drunken blind monkey could do better than me. :huh: The more I try, the more damage I do. I think it's time for me to take a long-term approach with that account.

Is there a 20 dollar stock that shorts S&P500? SDS is a bit expensive for me, but I haven't found anything better.

Best of trades...:)

XL-entLady
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
...I don't believe for a minute we have any upside left. How do I know this? I don't, I don't know anything, I'm as dumb as a box of rocks.

That's how yesterday made me feel! I'm trying to chalk it up to tuition on my ETF lessons. :toung:

I haven't put in for a position yet, but if I do, I may go short SDS, gold, silver, or oil. I'm not in a hurry, so I may sit this out for a few days and see if the market picks a direction.

I want to make sure that I'm tracking with you. You're thinking about going short the S&P index by purchasing SDS, right? And also thinking about the possibility of buying gold, silver or oil?

Regarding TSP, I'm getting frustrated with my timing. I'm almost convinced a drunken blind monkey could do better than me. The more I try, the more damage I do. I think it's time for me to take a long-term approach with that account.

Different forum, I know, but I think the problem with our TSP accounts is that the rules and lag time have put us in a straitjacket. Makes me nuts. Which is why I'm here in this forum! :) If I ever figure out what I'm doing with ETF's, I'm moving my TSP accounts (first spouse's and then mine) to an IRA so that I can ditch the restrictions!

Is there a 20 dollar stock that shorts S&P500? SDS is a bit expensive for me, but I haven't found anything better. ...
Re the question of a cheap stock that shorts S&P, have you considered shorting SSO (the ultra S&P bull) instead of going long SDS? I've never tried that, but am curious as to how it might work to accomplish what you're thinking.

Lady

JTH
02-25-2009, 06:55 PM
I have an order placed for SSO @ 18.02 for the day only.

Will it get filled in the last hour? I doubt it, but I gotta go and I can't watch the markets right now.

Best of trades...JTH

etftalk
02-26-2009, 02:25 PM

I want to revisit this as I may have mispoke. I just got off the phone with Scottrade and apparently you can sell within the 3-day settlement period in a margin account. I misstated that. You can't in a non-margin account.

But you can not buy and sell the same stock in the same day more than 4 times in a 5 day period (I believe) without having day trader status, which requires a $25K margin account.

I have gotten a few margin calls in the past and I never know why. I see buying power in the account and I use it. They slap my hand when I do something wrong. I guess I better learn the rules of the game.

JTH
02-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Re the question of a cheap stock that shorts S&P, have you considered shorting SSO (the ultra S&P bull) instead of going long SDS? I've never tried that, but am curious as to how it might work to accomplish what you're thinking. Lady

I havn't considered full-on shorting yet, I may aith for awhile on that one.

JTH
02-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Bought SLV @ 12.83

JTH
02-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Opps

Bought SLV @ 12.84 (not 12.83) :suspicious:

Also, Bought SSO at 18.64

JTH
02-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Opps

I hope every one is trading well.

Ya know, last night I looked at a lot of different ETFs & stocks and could'nt seem to find a decent entry point on anything. I have found myself to be thinly divided between the bull & bear camp, so perhaps this makes it more difficult for me. :(

So much to learn...

etftalk
02-26-2009, 10:39 PM
You're not alone. There's a lot of confused investors out there right now.

alevin
02-27-2009, 05:02 AM
you can sell within the 3-day settlement period in a margin account. You can't in a non-margin account.

But you can not buy and sell the same stock in the same day more than 5 times (per month I believe he said) without having day trader status, which requires a $25K margin account.

I have gotten a few margin calls in the past and I never know why. I see buying power in the account and I use it. I guess I better learn the rules of the game.

Roger that, Tom. My paper trading account activity yesterday included 2 buy-sell pairs on 2 ETFs, not even thinking about those kinds of limits. I'm posting results of the paper trades over in my acccount talk thread. It wasn't all bad, but it sure wasn't al good, neither.

JTH
02-27-2009, 05:18 AM
Good evening everyone.

Of all the blogs I read, not one of them is a bull and they all seem to think we are about to fall off a cliff. :unsure:

I generally don't use stops, but with all this volatility we've been getting I'm using them now. I have loose 10% stops on IO, SLV, & SSO. I may adjust them later.

Take care... :)

JTH
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Bought SSO at 18.64

Got stopped out of SSO and IO :(

Oh well, I should have picked a better position on SSO, and I should have dropped IO about 2 weeks ago. :embarrest:

etftalk
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Good luck JTH. I agree, there are a lot of folks looking for a precipitous drop, although there are a lot of bottom callers as well. This is a tough market 4 sure.

JTH
02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Bought SSO @ 19.26 (Total Basis)

Stopped out at 17.30

JTH
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
For those of you that don't know, I'm getting killed on my transaction cost.
If cost 13.95 a trade, so if I buy & sell something, I have to to gain 27.90 before I start to make profit. :mad:

For those of you who think I'm crazy, I chose this account because it cost 50 dollars to open it, and I already do all my banking with USAA.

The good news it says once I "Execute 25+ trades/90 days" the price goes down to 5.95

In the meantime, I'm getting killed here trying to pick positions...

Gumby
02-27-2009, 03:14 PM
If cost 13.95 a trade, so if I buy & sell something, I have to to gain 27.90 before I start to make profit. :mad:

For those of you who think I'm crazy, I chose this account because it cost 50 dollars to open it, and I already do all my banking with USAA.

The good news it says once I "Execute 25+ trades/90 days" the price goes down to 5.95

Scottrade just charges $7 each way from the start.
Twenty years ago, before computer trading, when I used AG Edwards, they charged about $100 each way to buy 100 shares through a broker. So I only bought big companies like Walmart and IBM and held onto them. A person just couldn't afford to trade back then.

Now $27.90 is pretty steep for a round trip trade if entered via the web.

JTH
02-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Now $27.90 is pretty steep for a round trip trade if entered via the web.

Wow, I didn't know it use to cost that much!

You're right, I'm getting shanked right now. With the amount of money I have in my account, I need to be super right on picking positions, or I get hammered, like I did today.

I need 10 more trades, then I'll be charged 5.95 1-way

JTH
03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Good morning everyone :)

Jan recap: Crappy

Feb recap: Crappier :(

My plan for March is to stay nimbal and only focus on a handful of ETFs. Last month I was too impulsive and that doesn't make me a good trader under these volitile markets.

My best to everyone!!!

etftalk
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Good luck JTH! Here's to a positive trading month in March!

justbizness45
03-03-2009, 12:10 AM

Zecco $4.50 per trade free if >$25000 or after 50 trades in a month.

JTH
03-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Zecco $4.50 per trade free if >$25000 or after 50 trades in a month.

Thanks JFB

I've gotten them to reduce the cost from 13.95 to 11.95

JTH
03-04-2009, 06:31 PM
It doesn't look like I'll be buying anything today. I slept in late, and it seems we have already picked a direction and rallied. Will tomorrow be a resumption of the current down-trend?

Here is my current watch list.

Long : SLW SLV XME PCU USO ERX MLN PCY PHB

Short: ZSL GLL SDS RSW DUG ERY 3X

etftalk
03-04-2009, 06:52 PM
It's one of those days where you feel you missed the best prices on the long side, but it's probably too soon to short.

JTH
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Bought SSO @ 14.91

Gumby
03-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Bought SSO @ 14.91

That should be a good play.

JTH
03-05-2009, 09:47 PM
That should be a good play.

I'd certainly like it to be. The way I figure it, the Job number may already be priced in. I lost track of how many times I heard on CNBC about how bad the market was going to be tomorrow because of the job numbers.

At these levels I may go in long, and/or buy some more if we continue with the landslide.

Gumby
03-06-2009, 12:25 PM
I'd certainly like it to be. The way I figure it, the Job number may already be priced in. I lost track of how many times I heard on CNBC about how bad the market was going to be tomorrow because of the job numbers.

At these levels I may go in long, and/or buy some more if we continue with the landslide.

Just remember how the market jumped after the poor December numbers.

JTH
03-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Good morning :)

Bought ERX @ 17.26 (Energy Bulls 3x)

Limit order placed for the day... SSO @ 14.14 (not filled yet)

etftalk
03-06-2009, 06:36 PM

Nice ETF. I will keep an eye on it.

Technically, the chart looks bearish, and there could be a little downside left, but a bounce back to the neckline (30) is possible in the intermediate-term.

http://www.etftalk.com/images/forum/030609a.gif

JTH
03-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks Tom and thanks for posting the chart. Most of my buying this week has been early, mostly because I'm off work this week.

I've thrown in the towel and given up trying to pick a bottom or catch a bounce. The most important thing is that my stops are in place and I sleep well at night.

JTH
03-06-2009, 06:53 PM
(30) is possible in the intermediate-term.

That's too funny, I hadn't noticed the H & S, but my sell target is @ 30

JTH
03-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Limit order placed for the day... SSO @ 14.14 (not filled yet)

Looks like I missed this order by .02 as SSO's low was 14.16

Looks like the market may finish in the green...

etftalk
03-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Rats! Nice try, though.

JTH
03-09-2009, 03:21 AM
Jason's weekly status

18.75% Cash
41.14% SLV (Filled @ 12.84)
23.19% SSO (Filled @ 14.91)
16.84% ERX (Filled @ 17.26)

It's Fugly out there...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/Kendlefox/8MARSLV.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/Kendlefox/8MARSSO.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/Kendlefox/8MARERX.jpg

JTH
03-09-2009, 07:12 AM
FAS Limit Order @ 2.49 (for the today only)

JTH
03-09-2009, 02:39 PM
FAS Limit Order @ 2.49 (for the today only)

FAS Filled @ 2.49

JTH
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
FAS Filled @ 2.49

FAS Sold/Stopped @ 2.75

I'm not a patient man, I took the money and ran... :bigsmile:

JTH
03-09-2009, 06:38 PM
FAS Sold/Stopped @ 2.75

Not that it matters much... The stop was @ 2.75 but it closed @ 2.76

etftalk
03-09-2009, 07:19 PM
FAS Sold/Stopped @ 2.75

A quick 10%, nice!

JTH
03-09-2009, 07:26 PM
A quick 10%, nice!

Thanks Tom, I was fortunate to pick a decent limit price. This morning FAS jumped down to 2.45 and my limit was 2.49, so before I woke up, the order was executed.

I didn't see the top-side action I wanted @ 2.99, so I placed the stop in anticipation of a late afternoon selloff.

JTH
03-10-2009, 05:13 AM
My stop on SLV was 12.60 and the low for the day was 12.61 :toung:

etftalk
03-10-2009, 05:38 AM
You obviously knew that 12.61 would hold. :D

JTH
03-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Opps

Stopped out of SLV @ 12.59

I knew it could happen, and I could have lowered the stop, but I haven't been impressed with SLX's action after the pullback from the recent uptrend.

Best of luck.

JTH
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Big Gap ups today in stocks lead to my big gap down in SLV. This was something I've noticed in the past. When the market takes off like a rocket, SLV takes a nose dive.

This is all alright, this market needs a break and I need a better entry point in metals. :)

JTH
03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
It was incredibly difficult not to sell for profit today. If the SLV hadn't had not gotten stopped out for a loss, I may have taken some profits off the table.

Had no stop/limits in the morning, changed them to stops after the open, then limits later on.

SSO's limit was 16.40, today's high was 16.38 (2 lousy cents)

ERX's limit was 21.99, today's high was 21.57

The fun part is re-evaluating the game plan tonight. :bigsmile:

JTH
03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Humm, I'm debating on where to put stops or limits on SSO & ERX :)

I've been doing some research on ERX & FAS

ERX tracks over 80 Stocks, Russel 1000 Energy, and some AIM Treasury thingy I can't find.

FAS tracks over 180 stocks, Russel 1000 Finance, and the same AIM thingy I can't seem to find anywhere. :huh:

JTH
03-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Big Gap ups today in stocks lead to my big gap down in SLV. This was something I've noticed in the past. When the market takes off like a rocket, SLV takes a nose dive. :)

SLV just spiked and the market's falling, what gives?

etftalk
03-11-2009, 05:01 PM
maybe reality kicked in? :)

Show-me
03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
SLV just spiked and the market's falling, what gives?

My two cents is everyone rotated out of metal and into equities slash financials to catch the momentum. Now like Tom said reality sets in. SLV is on the 50dma and dollar is looking toppy, both positive for precious metals.

JTH
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Perhaps that 12.60 Stop I had on SLV was a bit too tight...

Regardless, I've got tight stops on ERX & SSO just below the current levels. :suspicious: If the market holds, I'll hold.

JTH
03-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Placed Limit order for FAZ @ 54.00 (Not filled)

JTH
03-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Good morning :)

ERX Stop Order filled @ 20.24

JTH
03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Bought SSO @ 14.91

SSO Stop Order filled @ 16.35

JTH
03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
SSO Stop Order filled @ 16.35

Sorry, make that @ 16.34

etftalk
03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Nice day JTH!

JTH
03-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Nice day JTH!

Thanks Tom, I've had to hold stops close to my chest today. :eek:

JTH
03-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Placed Limit order for FAZ @ 54.00 (Not filled)

Revoked

Gumby
03-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Revoked

That is a great price if you can get a fill.

JTH
03-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Bought FAZ @ 56.48

JTH
03-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Bought FAZ @ 56.48

Market Order

That is a great price if you can get a fill.

I'd agree, but after further review I didn't think the order would fill, and I want to take a position for tomorrow.

JTH
03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Bought FAS @ 4.18 (Market Order Hedge)

JTH
03-11-2009, 08:08 PM
To Summarize today's action...

Bought SSO @ 14.91

SOLD @ 16.34

Bought ERX @ 17.26

SOLD @ 20.24

Bought FAZ @ 56.48

Bought FAS @ 4.18 (Market Order Hedge)

Whew... :wacko:

Gumby
03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
To Summarize today's action...

SOLD @ 16.34

SOLD @ 20.24

Whew... :wacko:
You had a great day...go home and have a cold one! 21

JTH
03-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Bought more FAZ @ 46.38

It's busy today, so I'll crunch the average price later

JTH
03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
bought fas @ 4.18 (market order hedge)

sold @ 4.78

etftalk
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Way to go JTH. You've really been hitting these scalp trades.

JTH
03-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Way to go JTH. You've really been hitting these scalp trades.

Thanks Tom

My preference would be not to scalp, but I'm still working up a big snowball, so I can invest in multiple directions and hold longer. Untill then, I'll have to take my gains where I can get them.

Besides, I'll need the extra money to caplitalize on the next bear-trend :)

JTH
03-13-2009, 01:58 PM
My kingdom for a good exit on FAZ.

It reminds me of that time I drank too much and spend most the the night hovered over the toliet.

"Please Lord if you just make me feel better, I promise I won't drink this much again" :toung:

JTH
03-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Bought more FAZ @ 46.38

It's busy today, so I'll crunch the average price later

Bought FAZ @ 56.48

Average buy price of 54.46 (55.41 with commissions)

Gumby
03-13-2009, 03:32 PM
My kingdom for a good exit on FAZ.

It reminds me of that time I drank too much and spend most the the night hovered over the toliet.

"Please Lord if you just make me feel better, I promise I won't drink this much again" :toung:

JTH,
Be right, sit tight.
I am under on the FAZ currently to a 4 figure number. I am not going to sweat to much unless it goes to 5 figures.....then I'll buy more. I have been away from the computer today and I see there is still weakness in the FAZ. This is probably a good time to buy more. The strength in the financial is very overblown.
Atilla is still holding....that is a good sign.

I am putting in a buy order in for FAZ @ $38.00

350Z
03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
JTH,
Be right, sit tight.
I am under on the FAZ currently to a 4 figure number. I am not going to sweat to much unless it goes to 5 figures.....then I'll buy more. I have been away from the computer today and I see there is still weakness in the FAZ. This is probably a good time to buy more. The strength in the financial is very overblown.
Atilla is still holding....that is a good sign.

I am putting in a buy order in for FAZ @ $38.00

Europe is looking bad. If they close at or near the the lows of the day, in about 20 mins, they would end today with a shooting star. That would be bearish for Monday.

JTH
03-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the pep talk guys, it does make me feel better. :) It's not that I feel bad about FAZ, it's that my position is a bit heavy and I can't buy anything with my unsettled funds, so I'm stuck here with nothing to do but wait.

Yea I'm still working on that patience thing (not) :toung:

JTH
03-16-2009, 06:12 AM
Good morning

Here is Monday morning's status

ROTH IRA Account:
20% Cash (Unsettled as of Sunday night)
80% FAZ No Stop (currently down -27.46%)

Regular Brokerage account: 100% Cash with a Limit order placed on AIRN Airspan Networks Inc) @ .16

This weeks plan: Make money...

It should be a fun week :)

JTH
03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Limit order placed on AIRN Airspan Networks Inc) @ .16

Too funny, I place a limit order @ .16 and so far today's low is @ .1601 :toung:
This is a limit order for today only so if it doesn't get filled so be it. I'm not going to chase this one, if will have to come to me.

Sometimes I feel like the kid who is trying to make friends with the mean dog. I offer him a piece of meat, he takes it, then runs away... :rolleyes:

alevin
03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
fuuuny. I put limit orders in for IBB and DDG this morning. Will look to verify fill status when I get home tonight. Did virtual limit order last night on DDG based on yesterdays prices and overnight spread, virtual DDG filled higher than actual spread this am. So I adjusted my real limit price down accordingly before I submitted it. IBB, won't know about it til tonight.

JTH
03-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Ya know Alevin, sometimes it's just one of those bla days. :noworry:

Nothing in the market is is giving me inspiration. I've already nixed the AIRN limit order. I've decided to wait till it hits the .13s again. So now I'm just watching FAZ and waiting for it to react to it's previous lows.

I swear watching paint dry is more fun...:rolleyes:

JTH
03-18-2009, 03:47 PM
GLD & SLV are both down over 3%

Money does not just vanish does it? Perhaps the markets are posied for a takeoff?

JTH
03-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Bought FAZ @ 56.48

Bought more FAZ @ 46.38

Bought more FAZ @ 33.26

Total Basis 50.94

I'm either a very brave man, or a very stupid man. Only the end game to tell the true tale. :toung:

Gumby
03-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Bought more FAZ @ 33.26

Total Basis 50.94

I'm either a very brave man, or a very stupid man. Only the end game to tell the true tale. :toung:

Hang in there!

JTH
03-19-2009, 03:46 AM
Hang in there!

Thanks Gumby I am hanging in there, but I wouldn't consider this a winning trade. To quote the great one "I've manged this trade poorly" :rolleyes:

JTH
03-19-2009, 03:58 AM
In case anyone hasn't noticed (from my manic chart posting) I've signed up as a member of Stockcharts. Just a year ago I wouldn't have even considered paying for a charting service, but people change.

If I can quit smoking and throwing my money down the toilet, then I can quit trading and throwing my money down the toilet too. Most of my trades have been profitable, but a few trades weren't. Those few negative trades have been ugly and they are off-setting the good trades.

It's time for me to start taking this stuff seriously, filter out the noise, develop a sound strategy and implement that strategy. In the meantime, I'll be tweaking my charts until I find the right combination that suits my style.

My best to everyone who is holding FAZ and getting bled to death. I'm not a patient person, so holding this 3X monster for more then a few hours is not my style. :wacko:

XL-entLady
03-19-2009, 12:04 PM
In case anyone hasn't noticed (from my manic chart posting) I've signed up as a member of Stockcharts. Just a year ago I wouldn't have even considered paying for a charting service, but people change.

I'm a member of Stockcharts too. I think I get enough 'at a glance' information that it's worth it, especially considering all the charts I look at these days. But I haven't spent as much time playing with the settings as it looks like you have. Good for you! I like the way your moving averages show up. I'll have to play with stuff to get a better feel for those visuals.

If you find something in the program that makes you say, "Wow!" share okay? :) TIA,

Lady

JTH
03-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm a member of Stockcharts too. I think I get enough 'at a glance' information that it's worth it, especially considering all the charts I look at these days.

Hi Lady :)

So far I'm finding the charts (and the 34.90 monthly) to be worth it. Just looking at the different time frames (5min, 15min 60min ect) is opening up different perspectives and helping me to grasp the "time" concept.

I started off with the basic package, but after a day I was already looking for more. The "Extra + Real Time package is leaps ahead the basic package. Ayone with a long-term perspective doesn't need any of this frilly stuff, but it is nice to have some new toys to play with. :toung:

XL-entLady
03-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I started off with the basic package, but after a day I was already looking for more. The "Extra + Real Time package is leaps ahead the basic package. ...it is nice to have some new toys to play with. :toung:
Yep, me too, what you said exactly. I just need to spend more time on the visuals. I've been concentrating on looking at the different timeframes in beaucoup de grande nombre charts. :bigsmile:

Lady

JTH
03-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Jason's Weekend Review

100% FAZ, Cost Basis 51.32 (includes Buy/Sell trading cost)

I'm down -31.30% but let me tell you, I sleep well at night :)

More hourly charts of FAS vs. FAZ

Take care, and enjoy your weekend :)

Here$14U
03-21-2009, 03:08 AM
JTH thanks for posting those neat charts. I'm also in FAZ. Started to buy it around 43, bought 3 more times and averaged it down to 33. I sold 2/3's of it today, but if it should come down a few points I'll be back in it fully again. Good LUck!:bigsmile:

Corepuncher
03-21-2009, 03:11 PM
BOught my faz at 41.30, thought about doubling down when it got to 27, but I would have had to sell my other holdings in order to raise cash...and I was not about to go "all in" such a risky ETF considering how crappy I felt after it fell 30% !!! Nice charts below. I am basing my holdings of these short ETF's and sell targets on the S&P...I think we easily come back to 740's, in which case FAZ should be at or above my buy price. I will be happy just to get back to 41. I don't think there is much fundamental reason for financials to rally further...but then again you have TurboTimmy coming out with a toxic asset plan. That, and the bonus issue...that is really weighing heavily on them and I believe is the main reason why FAZ has rallied last two days. If it looks like the senate will not pass such a draconian bonus tax bill as the house passed, and/or TurboTimmy comes out with a decent plan, FAZ could really tank. However, if it takes several more days into next week before there is any clarity, then, FAZ could go up hard in the meantime.

JTH
03-23-2009, 02:17 AM
I am basing my holdings of these short ETF's and sell targets on the S&P

You bring up a great point there Core Puncher. All these ETFs and individual stocks really don't mean a hill of beans if we don't watch what the S&P 500 is doing. :)

JTH
03-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Bought GGP @ .69 (regular brokerage account)

JTH
03-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Backfill: I've been thinking about buying physical silver since hurricane Katrina, when my extended family was left with nothing but government failures in epic proportions on all levels.

Since that time, I've made it a point to stock preparation type items. Now I don't have an underground bunker (yet :rolleyes:) but I do keep extra water, food, gas, guns & ammo. I just spend a little here, and a little there it's nothing extravagant, but it builds up over time.

So today, I was fortunate to have found a nice coin store and purchased my first Silver American Eagle. :) My son has been collecting coins with his grandpa for years, so it was more for my son's own benefit than my own.

OBTW The customer in front of me dropped some serious cash (5 grand) for some Gold eagles.

A co-worker of mine walked in and dropped 1100 on gold. He says he spends all his extra money on gold and silver.

alevin
03-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Wow, JTH, now I know why you're into preparedness for the whatever. Me, I've just been reading Denninger the last year 1/2, and commentary from his trader associates. I've been slowly stocking up too, seed, tools, am within a mile of a river, got quite a few buckets, Chlorox slowly accumulating for sterilization along with water filter for drinking, got the security system about 8 months ago after an attempted breakin Nov before last, got my list going, checking things off slowly. One of the next moves is security film for windows. It was designed for hurricane country, to help people reduce window breakage. It's good for preventing breakage from other sources as well. I got all the window measurements today finally. Will order this coming week.

I'm also boosting practical skills and info, like my vet neighbor today told me he used to build solar hot water heaters. Told him I want him to teach me how this year. Also got designs for solar oven, easy to make, just need to get an oven thermometer from kitchen store. Am prepping for getting chickens next year, infrastructure this year, chickens next. got friends with layers and roosters, so I know I can get chicks/fertile eggs from them if no other source available. Want to get roof replaced this year, plus insulation. Canning supplies. Build up on prescription meds for asthma that I only need now and then.

Not sure how long we've got til things fall apart and can't get the materials or the companies I'm looking at may go out of business if I don't get things done now. It will wipe out my cash cushion tho if I do all that now. I don't want to take on new debt TSP or new mortgage, in case the gov decides can't afford me any more in a couple years time. It's cash crunch time for me, can't save enough fast enough to spend fast enough on things I need and soon. JMO.

I don't like feeling like chicken little. Weapons and ammo are on the list. Just down a little. I have an LEO (law enforcement) coworker who has said he'd be happy to go shooting with me for practice. I need to get CCW permit tho when I get one of the weapons on my list. So much to do, so little time, so little cash flow. going to cut off the cable TV next to improve cash accumulation. already dropped the health club membership back in December. Planning on getting a burn barrel this year too, once I get enough trees taken out that I have safe overhead space for burn barrel. Serious about compost pile buildup too. Reduce, recyle, reuse. Garbage service is one of first things to go when society falls apart.

justbizness45
03-29-2009, 03:39 AM
Alevin, if you are serously considering a firearm and ammo you might want to move it up the list a little. In my area it is getting difficult to find ammo to buy. I went into the local sportsman store the other day and they only had 13 handguns in stock (and they weren't the 9MMs or highly desireable calibers). They usually have 50-60. They also had no shotgun shells, no 9MM, .357, .38Spec, .44spec or 44mag ammo. They told me they can't keep it on the shelf. JMO.

I have been stocking up some also. My problem right now is that my wife thinks I'm nuts and there is no way things can go that far south. I on the other hand give it a 15 - 20% chance and I think I need to hedge for the possibility. Not go nuts just hedge the possibilty.

Corepuncher
03-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I went ahead and got a remmington 870 tactical shotgun and a few hundred shells. The gun store I went to was booming and they said gun prices were rocketing up. AK47's are about double what they were several months ago. I like my shotgun, but may need a hand gun or rifle.

alevin
03-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Alevin, if you are serously considering a firearm and ammo you might want to move it up the list a little. In my area it is getting difficult to find ammo to buy. I went into the local sportsman store the other day and they only had 13 handguns in stock (and they weren't the 9MMs or highly desireable calibers). They usually have 50-60. They also had no shotgun shells, no 9MM, .357, .38Spec, .44spec or 44mag ammo. They told me they can't keep it on the shelf. JMO.

I have been stocking up some also. My problem right now is that my wife thinks I'm nuts and there is no way things can go that far south. I on the other hand give it a 15 - 20% chance and I think I need to hedge for the possibility. Not go nuts just hedge the possibilty.

I'm afraid we're on or close to the Black Swan fattail econ-socio wise. Other sources give us 10% MadMax, 20-40% just serious hard times. I'm preparing more for the 10-40% scenario right now I guess. Things I was already planning on doing-roofing, big garden, reducing grocery bills, composting, insulation, cutting utility bills, before this ever hit.

Things I wasn't planning on previously as possibility = local services crashing-water-sewer, police, fire, electrical shortages. We're already in jeopardy from fire service standpoint, rural fire district tax negotiations stalled past several years, tax base-residents only- half renters; tax increase requires 50% of residents voting (not property owners), and majority of that required for tax increase to go forward to pay increased contract costs. Stalemate Solution: fire service contractor (city fire dept), cut staff-that was a couple years ago. :eek:, and won't swear they'll keep your house from burning down, will only promise to keep it from spreading to neighbors houses.

On the firearm situation, maybe I've been hiding head in sand, knew about sales velocity in bigger population areas, have been hoping (not a strategy :rolleyes:, I know I know), wasn't same in small-town rural areas, where percentage wise more people already armed to begin with. But I haven't checked to know if true or not. If its a supplier capacity deficit, then I'm probably SOL. Good thing is, most of surrounding neighbors are armed, and we all are acquainted and nobody on bad terms with anyone, now the crazy is gone, so think we could develop neighborhood defence plan if we had to go there.

CP, you're ahead of the curve. Better to have no regrets on that one. Good work.

justbizness45
03-29-2009, 06:14 PM
My next purchase is clean 55 gal drums for water storage and propane tanks for cooking. I have a well and a generator to run it but gas may become scarce so I will only run to refill drinking water from the well if it comes to that.

JTH
03-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Looking back, I'd much rather have 2 firearms and 20,000 rounds, than 10 firearms and 1,000 rounds. But at the same time I have to leave something behind for my kids.

If I could only own 1, it would be a shotgun with a wide variety of ammo.

If I could only own 2, I'd add the .22 because it's cheap and quiet to shoot. 80

For all practicality, IMHO the AK-47 is overrated for anything short of a Zombie invasion. It's too expensive, damm heavy, the demand is extremely high, and over penetration in urban areas is a concern. This is the second one I've owned and I still kick myself for having sold my first one. I just need two more so I can pass them on to my 3 kids.

I never shoot the AK, it's for one hell-of-a rainy day...

JTH
03-29-2009, 09:37 PM
I have a well and a generator to run it but gas may become scarce so I will only run to refill drinking water from the well if it comes to that.

Back in my 20s, I lived on property that had a well. I happen to think a well is the MOST important thing you can have. With Summer on the horizon I need to build up more water. We have 108 gallons on hand, but I won't feel good about that until I can get 4 of those water drums. I wish I had a well, if I did I'd be a happy camper :)

I had an old 70s RV once. It had a small propane/electric fridge. I'll have to make one someday. :rolleyes:

Some of you backwoods folks are lucky! The next time I move I'll be sure to move out into the boonies where I can set up a self-sufficient home. I am very lucky that my wife is aware and very adaptive. We both want to have a ranch and raise some our own food.

JTH
03-29-2009, 09:49 PM
On the firearm situation,

Here's the thing. Most people spend way too much money on firearms just to protect their 1 bag of beans! At least you have your priorities in order. I tell folks just starting off, to start off by getting .22lr ammo now, it will only go up in value and later on it may become a form of currency. A 200 dollar Wall mart .22lr rifle 22 rifle will take care of 99% of your problems. The fact is people don't like gun fights and they don't stop to ask what caliber you are using. :toung:

A brick (500-550 rounds) of .22lr ammo cost less than 20 dollars.

JTH
03-29-2009, 09:56 PM
I went ahead and got a remmington 870 tactical shotgun and a few hundred shells. The gun store I went to was booming and they said gun prices were rocketing up. AK47's are about double what they were several months ago. I like my shotgun, but may need a hand gun or rifle.

I swear by shotguns. It's the only firearm that stays loaded and is by my bedside at all times. It is the swiss army knife of firearms...

JTH
03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
One thing that doesn't always get mentioned is COMM. I started out as an F-16 Comm guy before I moved over to computers, so my views are somewhat biased.

Scanner: We keep a hand-held analog scanner (radio shack 100 bucks) that works great for my local area since we are not trunked or encrypted. Afterwards, We bought an external antenna and we're able to pick up everything within a 20-40 mile range. I can listen to the local police, state police, the Feds, fire department, Medics, Boarder patrol, trains, weather, and some local HAMS.

Short Wave Radio: Another radio shack item that cost less than 50 bucks. It depends on the time of day and the atmospheric conditions, but this 2AA battery hand held radio has picked up Taiwan, England, Canada, and several others I can't figure out.

GMRS: Hand held walkie Talkies are cheap and useful for road trips.

Batteries: A boat load of disposable batteries and even more rechargeables.

Things I'd like: I'd like to get my kids their HAM license and a digital/analog HAM setup.

I'd like to have Satellite internet to decrease our chances of getting cut off from the outside world. :rolleyes:

momac
03-30-2009, 02:25 AM

Ammo and hand guns are hard to find here also. Especially the ammo.

alevin
03-30-2009, 03:25 AM
I've been trying to warn my dad to be thinking ahead, mainly on the finances. Got him reading Denninger several months ago at least. Am afraid he's still too complacent tho, he thinks he amd mom 'll be fine since govt pension, SS, cash mainly in CDs, a few stocks (he's a B&H'er, almost recouped his Nokia losses from 2002, right when this hit). :sick:

I know he thinks I get a little too wound up at times about what's happening. Haven't even tried to get him to think about urban survival, I know he'll play the Father knows Best card on me. Unfortunately they live 800 miles from me, so not much I can do other than keep him reading in hopes things will begin to sink in harder and harder while there is still time to make some preparations at least. They live in a western town, bigger than mine, but still not that big, but more liberal than my community. Not him! the community! :rolleyes:

Considering he and mom were both born in the heart of the Depression...well, I'm just hoping they don't have to go through it all over again in their elder years. It didn't impact my dad's family as much as my mom's family the first time round, but they both remember as young children what life was like in small town and farm country. Grandparents both sides had big gardens and still canned, even up into the late 60s-early 70s.

alevin
03-30-2009, 03:36 AM
My next purchase is clean 55 gal drums for water storage and propane tanks for cooking. I have a well and a generator to run it but gas may become scarce so I will only run to refill drinking water from the well if it comes to that.

:cool: My area was almost that rural a few years before I moved in (septic system, backyard irrigation well and pump), but things changed before I got here. Now on city water, city sewer, rural electric. I still have a pump house out back that's now my tool shed, used to be able to use it for yard watering (shortly before my time) unfortunately a big local businessman/LDS bishop lives between me and the river.

He raises horses and hay, sank an ag irrigation well deeper than the backyard residential wells further from the river and drew down all the backyard residential wells dry around me, mine included. would start a shooting war or something almost as bad if tried to sink a new well deeper than his, probably.

I keep looking at my natural gas insert, wondering if I should convert it back to regular firewood fireplace. Sure is nice not to have to worry about chimney fires tho, been there done that. As far as water storage goes, been pricing rainwater collectors, haven't bought yet but researched the state water laws and found out its ok to do it, some western states its not ok.

justbizness45
03-30-2009, 04:11 AM
:cool: My area was almost that rural a few years before I moved in (septic system, backyard irrigation well and pump), but things changed before I got here. Now on city water, city sewer, rural electric. I still have a pump house out back that's now my tool shed, used to be able to use it for yard watering (shortly before my time) unfortunately a big local businessman/LDS bishop lives between me and the river.

He raises horses and hay, sank an ag irrigation well deeper than the backyard residential wells further from the river and drew down all the backyard residential wells dry around me, mine included. would start a shooting war or something almost as bad if tried to sink a new well deeper than his, probably.

I keep looking at my natural gas insert, wondering if I should convert it back to regular firewood fireplace. Sure is nice not to have to worry about chimney fires tho, been there done that. As far as water storage goes, been pricing rainwater collectors, haven't bought yet but researched the state water laws and found out its ok to do it, some western states its not ok.

JTH I hope you don't mind this discussion on your thread.

I like the drums, you can keep in your shed. Fill with a touch of bleach and it will keep for several years if needed. JMO.

JTH
03-30-2009, 04:12 AM
JTH I hope you don't mind this discussion on your thread.

I like the drums, you can keep in your shed. Fill with a touch of bleach and it will keep for several years if needed. JMO.

Not at all, this is a Free Tin Foil Hat zone :)

justbizness45
03-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Not at all, this is a Free Tin Foil Hat zone :)

The other thing I am doing is upside down gardening and canning. Since the plants hang they could be transported with minimal damage if I needed to leave the property for some reason.

Should we start a be prepared thread somewhere??

JTH
03-30-2009, 03:45 PM
So here is a question for the masses.

How do you plan an exit strategy for a 3x ETF you bought @ 51.32 and it's now in the low 20s?

I'm thinking when it hits 30 than I'll place a 5 dollar stop below whatever the current price may be. I suppose I could keep doing this until I get stopped out. Any other ideas?

XL-entLady
03-30-2009, 03:51 PM
How do you plan an exit strategy for a 3x ETF you bought @ 51.32 and it's now in the low 20s?

I'm thinking when it hits 30 than I'll place a 5 dollar stop below whatever the current price may be. I suppose I could keep doing this until I get stopped out. Any other ideas?
I bought at $66.60. :sick: This morning I put a 15% trailing stop on it. I used a large stop to keep it from stopping out in the wild fluctuations. And I'm keeping an eye on the $BKX to see when the trend appears to be reversing and I'll tighten the stop up then.

That's probably exactly the wrong way to do it, though. So I'll be reading with interest to see how others are doing it.

Lady

alevin
03-31-2009, 03:16 AM

Pray a lot? For a big downturn on the opposite ETF? I read something earlier today that made me really stop and think whether I ever want to do a 3x short in a bear market. If a bear rally comes along and you don't react fast enough, the 3x short can go to zero. Whereas a 3x long, well, it will eventually recover-someday, will never go to zero, unless the entire market dies. Good luck you all. I'm blundering away with my mix of cash, commods, gold and biotech. all long or sidelines.

And JTH, thanks for your tinfoil tolerance yesterday. We probably should start another thread and not use yours further. Although-I got book in mail yesterday how to make a good solar food dehydrator and just had my little handpowered mini-washing machine and dryer delivered today for the times when electricity is unavailable or rationed. ;)

etftalk
03-31-2009, 03:52 AM

I'll let you know when I come up with my own. :)

justbizness45
03-31-2009, 04:46 AM
Made a new thread under The Economy to continue our discussion if interested.

JTH
03-31-2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks JB it should be an interesting place :)

JTH
03-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Bought GGP @ .69 (regular brokerage account)

Bought Hero @ 1.65 (regular brokerage account)

I have a brokerage account that I call "emergency funds."

Every pay day I take 50 bucks, put it in this account, and buy some random stock. I don't manage the account or watch the price action on a daily basis. It is a basic buy and hold account.

JTH
04-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Bought the GGP @ .69 and it's now sitting at 1.05 :wacko: It was nothing more then bottom picking luck, but I'll keep it for now.

Have a stop on FAZ @ 15

Gumby
04-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Bought the GGP @ .69 and it's now sitting at 1.05 :wacko: It was nothing more then bottom picking luck, but I'll keep it for now.

That was a great pick!:bigsmile:

JTH
04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Bought FAZ @ 51.32

Got Stopped out @ 14.12 for a 72.48% loss.

This is what can happen when you trade off the backs of others (Attilla) instead of following your own personal guidlines. Nobody to blame but myself on this one.

The good news is that now I can focus on better trading opportunitites. :)

XL-entLady
04-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Bought FAZ @ 51.32

Got Stopped out @ 14.12 for a 72.48% loss.

This is what can happen when you trade off the backs of others (Attilla) instead of following your own personal guidlines. Nobody to blame but myself on this one.

The good news is that now I can focus on better trading opportunitites. :)
Yeah, J, I lost about 10% of my entire account in FAZ before I finally gave up on it.

That was a good money management lesson. Since then I've read several pieces that say you should never be able to have more than 2% account risk on any one trade. After I learned a bit about how to figure risk levels, I found out how badly I screwed up the FAZ trade. I have a feeling that there are some of us that will know exactly what is meant when someone says, "That ETF is doing a 'FAZ'." :nuts:

Lady

JTH
04-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Bought FAZ @ 11.54

When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose.

JTH
04-13-2009, 04:29 AM
FAZ @ 11.54

Stop @ 8.91 (15%)

1st Target 12.15

Afterwards stops will be placed in .25 cent increments until stopped out. I'll be watching to see what the overall market tone is, but most likely I'll be in cash by day's end.

JTH
04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Bought FAZ @ 11.54

Stopped out @ 9.49

JTH
04-13-2009, 06:48 PM
The good news is I had a plan and it was executed properly with stops in place.

The bad news is the plan sucked. With 3 days for folks to linger the financial news, I was banking on a gap up this morning. Instead we got a gap down. We know that fundamentally these banks are in horrible shape. But what we know doesn’t mean a thing if it doesn’t make us money. I didn’t want to be involved in the last hour of trading, so I’ll take my lumps now.

JTH
04-15-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm posting this chart because I'd like others to chime in on it. :)

etftalk
04-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Looks like a pennant (bullish) but I don't really look at intraday charts unless I am trading intraday (day trading).

XL-entLady
04-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Tom knows more about chart reading than I do but I thought it was a bull pennant too. Coiling for some kind of a move anyway.

Good luck if you decide to go in.

Lady

JTH
04-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Guess what?

I was wondering why my GGP intraday chart wasn't working. Turns out they filed chapter 11 today. Hey Tom, there goes my bullish pennate. They are also held by FAS.

Does this mean I lost my money? :huh:

JTH
04-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Bought FAZ @ 8.81

This trade is based specifically on the SPX 848 pivot point I've been watching for the last 2 weeks.

The pulple Line

etftalk
04-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Good luck JTH. CNBC is getting a little exuberant over this rally saying the bears have and will continue to miss the boat. Could be a sign that we're about to get a hit to the downside. Of course I've been saying that for a month. :wacko:

XL-entLady
04-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Bought FAZ @ 8.81

And to think that a month ago I bought it at over $66 and thought I was getting a great deal. :eek: Good luck, J!

Lady

JTH
04-17-2009, 08:46 PM
And to think that a month ago I bought it at over $66 and thought I was getting a great deal. :eek: Good luck, J!

Lady

I only know of one person who lost more on FAZ than I did, but percentage wise I probably got Slope Of Hope Beat.

JTH
04-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Bought Hero @ 1.65 (regular brokerage account)

Opps, my HERO limit order filled @ 3.00

This is freaking hilarious...:rolleyes:

XL-entLady
04-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Opps, my HERO limit order filled @ 3.00

This is freaking hilarious...:rolleyes:
Wow, how did a limit order fill at twice the specified cost??

Lady

JTH
04-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Wow, how did a limit order fill at twice the specified cost??

Lady

Opps I can see the confusion I caused.

I bought @ 1.65 and had a sell limit order for 3.00 that was filled today. :)

The funny part was that I just picked a random ERX held stock, bought it, and forgot about it. 2 weeks later it nearly doubled. Basically meaning I got lucky...

XL-entLady
04-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Gotcha. Congratulations! :bigsmile: Good screen!

Lady

JTH
04-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Bought FAZ @ 8.81

This trade is based specifically on the SPX 848 pivot point I've been watching for the last 2 weeks.

The pulple Line

Sold FAZ @ 10.40

JTH
04-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Bought the GGP @ .69

Sold GGP @ .615 for a loss

They went bankrupt, so I bailed. I should have sold it last week when it had doubled. Little did I know that meant it was going to double over and fall down... :toung:

JTH
04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Bought SIRI @ .57

The bottom feeders have been showing interest in it since last week. Whatever, it's a trade...

JTH
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm very excited about today's action! Crazy Eddie is back and he's slashing prices! Everything MUST GO DOWN! :toung:

Sirus (SIRI) isn’t going away (says the guys who bough GGP and they went bankrupt.)

I’ve scalped pennies off of it before and the last time I owned it was @ .17 and now it’s in the .50s

The thing I ask myself is this. Do I know people with satellite radio and are any of them canceling their subscriptions? No & no because once you get hooked on crack you can never be satisfied with Maryjane…

Anyone you know feel like dropping their cable/sat TV and going back to the rabbit ears? I didn’t think so. :toung:

For an Energy/Tech play I like IO and I’ll be a buyer below 1.50

Uptrend
04-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Sold FAZ @ 10.40

Hey JTH You chickened out like me! I always sell too early, and as much as I don't like to use t-stops on volatile ETF's, I should have put one on because it shot up over $13 this AM before crashing. There was gap fill from about 10 down to about 9.70, so now looking for another entry point. The problems with the financial sector are not over.

JTH
04-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Hey JTH You chickened out like me! I always sell too early, and as much as I don't like to use t-stops on volatile ETF's, I should have put one on because it shot up over $13 this AM before crashing. There was gap fill from about 10 down to about 9.70, so now looking for another entry point. The problems with the financial sector are not over.

Yes I agree, selling early sucks even when you make a profit. :) If I could set up a rising auto adjusting stop, I would have left it alone. What's killing me more is waiting 3 days for my funds to settle. :mad:

JTH
04-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Bought FAZ @ 9.97

JTH
04-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Bought SDS @ 69.71

etftalk
04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Bought FAZ @ 9.97
Good luck. I hope the stress tests results are legit and not fluffed up like some earnings we've seen.

JTH
04-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Bought SLW @ 7.68

JTH
04-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Good luck. I hope the stress tests results are legit and not fluffed up like some earnings we've seen.

Lol legit? I'm counting on that. :toung:

JTH
04-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Bestfreecharts.com

JTH
04-24-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm position sizing now, which means I'm trading a slimer profit margin for safety. The truth is I don't have enough buying power to make the big moves that make a difference.

My 3 biggest mistakes this year.

1. Selling too quickly: Simular to what Upreand and others have said. I've owned stocks that have doubled and tripled, just weeks after I sold them.

2. Not hedging: I should use my TSP to hedge when I'm being proven wrong by going short.

3. Position sizing: My 1st postion in FAZ was a big hit. But the real mistake was the postion size.

I'm still a bear and will stay short below the S&P 500's 875.63

My SDS has a mental stop of 64.00

FAZ just bounced off 1 pennie higher than its 52 week low of 8.50 My stop on FAZ is just a few pennies below that.

My SLW gapped up this morning, my stop is @ 7.20 :)

JTH
04-24-2009, 04:58 PM
FRACK!!!

I just got stopped out of FAZ :mad:

Uptrend
04-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Could be my risk tolerance, but when entering FAZ I do not use a stop, because it swings wildly. It's not like the ETF is going to fail tomorrow, geez we are in a full blown recession/depression. I try to time the FAZ uptrend with the market downtrend. Looks good now with the upcoming bank stress test uncertianity. Just saw a report tonight that suggests that Citi and BOA need more capitol. I am planning to hold FAZ until about spx 875, and I will fine tune with the FAZ chart and BKX as we go along. Thinking 1-2 week trade. Very exciting! IMO, it's the best trade out there and still a screaming buy. Some say trading FAZ is un-american, but I say you fool CEO's got yourself into this mess, so I might as well have a few pennies.

Bullitt
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
JTH, are you buying SLW because you believe that commodities will continue to lead this next cyclical bull or is this just a one week fling?

JTH
04-29-2009, 05:04 AM
Could be my risk tolerance, but when entering FAZ I do not use a stop, because it swings wildly.

I hear ya there UpTrend, but heck my timing and lack of patience kill me more than my stops do. :toung: I placed a 8.35 stop on that trade because I figured that if it blew through that stop then we'd be going down to a lower trading range. Well I was wrong, although we did dip down into the 7s we did manage to get back up into the 9s. :embarrest: I'm done with FAZ (for now.)

The truth is I shouldn't be trading FAZ/FAS because it's not something I believe in. We're entering a new era of government intervention/regulation and the only way I can vote against it, is to vote with my money...

JTH
04-29-2009, 05:39 AM
JTH, are you buying SLW because you believe that commodities will continue to lead this next cyclical bull or is this just a one week fling?

I'm glad you asked me that because sometimes I forget to ask myself why I take a position. I'm getting killed with all this market volatility and now I'm resigning myself to taking longer positions and not sweating the daily grind.

For SLW I'm looking out to July. My target is 11.00 and untill than I'll try to buy during May's lows. They have a conference call 11 May.

JTH
05-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Setting aside the fact that this old man sitting next to me doesn't seem to mind he's selling his grand children's long-term future for his short-term success...

When I was flying to Utah, the guy next to me is working for a company that manages government property. I asked him what he thought about the stimulus package? He said he was excited because money was already starting to pour in and he was fixing to get backlogged with "infrastructure" work. Long story short, somewhere there is an infrastructure play to be had.

JTH
05-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Gosh darnet, there are so many great stocks I want to buy but none of them will give me a pullback! We could get a double top at 4.50

For an energy/tech play, I like IO and have liked it for a long time.

JTH
05-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Bought IO @ 3.06

JTH
05-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Bough SIRI @ .4454

JTH
05-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Current Holdings

SDS @ 69.72 (hedge)

SLW @ 7.69 (Inflation Play)

IO @ 3.06 (Energy/Tech Play)

SIRI @ .4454 (Tech Play)

SIRI @ .5656 (Regular Brokerage Account)

JTH
05-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Bought GGWPQ @ .96

JTH
05-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Current Holdings

SDS @ 69.72 (hedge)

SIRI @ .4454 (Tech Play)

GGWPQ @ .96 (Financial Properties)

JTH
05-12-2009, 03:00 PM
GGWPQ @ .96

Sold @ 1.29 :)

JTH
05-12-2009, 05:03 PM

I have a stop placed under SLV at 8.99 as It has been very good to me, but I'd like to get in at a better price.

Although It could go further up, but I'm working my way back into cash. I'd like to sit this one out and let my SDS play out, then scoop up the dip.

JTH
05-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Current Holdings

SDS @ 69.72 (hedge)

SIRI @ .4454 (Tech Play)

My SDS hedge is in a holding patteren. ;)

Bought more SLW @ 9.03

Bought more IO @ 2.56

Bought More SIRI @ .38

JTH
05-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I hope eveyone is doing well today.

I'm in a holding patteren for my positions in these markets. There just isn't anything I want to buy at these prices. :rolleyes:

JTH
05-28-2009, 04:02 PM

Bought more SLW @ 9.03

SOLD SLW @ 9.79

I wasn't checking my limits and I got hit. Now SLW is in the 10s. The timing is good, I've been saving up some money, so I'll wait for a pullback, and get back in with a bigger position.

JTH
05-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Crap crap crap, my SLW gapped up this morning, and I was wanting a pullback :mad:

JTH
06-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Bought SLW @ 10.49

I still plan on riding this horse past 11.00

JTH
06-02-2009, 06:20 PM
SDS @ 69.72 (hedge)

Sold SDS @ 53.0706

It was a big lose, but a small position. I'm freeing up more cash for more buying.

JTH
06-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Bought SLW @ 10.49

I still plan on riding this horse past 11.00

Bought more SLW @ 10.38 :rolleyes:

JTH
07-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Bought more IO @ 2.40 :rolleyes:

JTH
08-20-2009, 06:24 PM
My limit order sold SIRI @ .60

I was in SIRI at .38 & .45 so I banked a litte coin. I think I'll sit in a little more cash for right now, and see if anything else appeals to me.

JTH
09-03-2009, 04:22 PM
My SDS hedge is in a holding patteren. ;)

Bought more SLW @ 9.03

Sold SLW @ 11.37

It could go higher, but I'll sit on my hands and wait to see what happens. Besides, it's nice to be sitting in cash for a change. :)

JTH
09-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Bought more IO @ 2.56

Put in a stop @ 3.56 although I'd like to see it hi 3.96 (previous gap from what back when)

JTH
09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Changed my mind, sold IO @ 3.65

Now sitting 100% cash.

JTH
09-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Bought ZSL (ultrashort silver) @ 5.05

I'm either really stupid or brillant...

JTH
09-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Bought ZSL (ultrashort silver) @ 5.05

I'm either really stupid or brillant...

Sold @ 5.74

JTH
10-19-2009, 07:15 PM
10/19/2009Sell (https://www.usaa.com/inet/imco_accountmaint/ImActivity?action=INIT#) SIRI @ 62

10/08/2009Buy (https://www.usaa.com/inet/imco_accountmaint/ImActivity?action=INIT#) SIRI @ 56

Quick 40 dollar scalp

JTH
11-02-2009, 01:54 PM
11/02/2009 Bought SIRI @ .582

JTH
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
11/02/2009 Bought SIRI @ .582

WTF I put in a .62 limit and it sold at .6306 :mad:

It was a quick 30 dollar scalp but I could have gotten more...

JTH
11-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Bought SIRI @ .6271

JTH
01-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Bought SIRI @ .6271

Sold @ .67

JTH
01-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Sold @ .86 :wacko:

etftalk
01-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Nice!

JTH
01-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Nice!

Thanks, believe it or not I've held that position since may 2009, it seems like an eternity ago...

JTH
04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Still here, as of late I've been buying USAA mutual funds. It's a "fire & forget" sort of thing and I won't be trading ETFs anytime soon, until I've built up a sizable mutual fund position. So far I'm up 7% since March. The reason is I found myself trading too much, and with the mutual funds I have a wide varity of choice through USAA, I have zero tranaction cost (no brokerage fees) and it only requires a minumum 250.00 purchase.

Here are my holdings.

USAGX - diversified in metals, including the miners, giving my broad diversification.

USCRX - Cornerstone, about 60/40 stocks/bonds with holdings in ETFs SPY, EAFE & emerging markets EEM. Also has holdings in Blue Chips. This is my conservative position.

USEMX - Emerging Markets gives me the exposer I can't get in the TSP funds.

USNQX - NASDAQ 100, gives me the heavy exposer to the big boys of tech.

This is all I'm starting with for now.