PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

peterson82
07-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Hey etftalk folks
I decided to open a brokrage account and start investing outside of TSP. I got a laddered promotion recently, and just moved away from the city, so my rent is cheaper than it was before. This opened up a doorway to be able to throw around already-taxed money into an account that I will be trading ETFs on.

I am going to use the same strategy as my TSP, but incorperate the use of shorts instead of a G-fund. I will also take advantage of leveraged ETFs.
I realize that it comes with greater risk, but this is the time to test my strategy with very high risk, I believe. I don't have a ton invested (10k), and I have years and years to recover if it doesnt go as planned.

Also, i will only be trading high volume ETFs... 800,000+

My first trade will be on Monday.

alevin
07-31-2010, 01:46 PM
congratulations on the promotion, p82, and good move out of the city. I'm still playing in rangebound DBC and GDXJ and GXF, have been holding, may sell soon if I can at least break even on them from point I bought in. DBC is upward bound at the moment.

Be extremely careful with the levered ETFs, especially the inverses, they are only meant to be used for very short-term trades-a few days, a week, the up and down moves with any extended hold will chew away your base.

peterson82
08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
alevin,
Tell me how it chews away at your base. I will look around the forum for more information on this in particular.

alevin
08-11-2010, 01:36 AM
alevin,
Tell me how it chews away at your base. I will look around the forum for more information on this in particular.

Hi p82, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The information is out there in a lot of places. Here's a discussion that's pretty clear, should help you a lot on decisionmaking about what and when and how long to hold. :) rots a ruck out there, it's a rough time to be learning, but oth, no time like the present either.

http://www.my10000dollars.com/etf-time-decay/