PDA

View Full Version : Nate's Account

etftalk
01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Good Luck, Nate!

Nate
02-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, I personally have made 0 posts on my account, yet theres 46 views lol. This my be sortof a double post, but I've updated my account thread over at TSP talk. http://www.tsptalk.com/mb/showthread.php?p=300073#post300073
Incase you dont read it, I've decided to stop my TSP contributions for now. I've got 18 months left in the Army, may be going full-time student afterwards if no federal apps bite. Everything seems to still be uncertain with private & federal jobs, I dont see myself re-up'ing my Army contract, (slight possibility of going reserves though) and may be just relying on the GI Bill to wait out the job situation until I can get picked up by a state or federal agency.
The small 6% that was being contributed to my TSP is now going to be directed to my individual account. I strapped down for 1-2 months and took all extra money I had & put it towards stocks. This built me up to appx 7 funds, $500 invested + $100 in commission fees (I'll be working on that commission ratio too btw). That rate was not realistically sustainable, but was able to build me a fast position to take advantage of the current rate increases/profits. My old TSP contributions will now be DCA'd into funds im currently watching on a spreadsheet I've made. The strategy there consists of stocks & ETF's that had high-values (at some point) prior to 2009's crash (preferrably around 2005's highs).
This compared to todays cost per share = what I've been calling its "multiplier"....but Im sure theres a more common technical term.
IE: Evergreen Energy (EEE) I purchased for $0.69 a month ago. 2/2006, EEE hit $265 for a high. This was on the top of my list due to: the current low risk cost of $0.69 allowing me to buy many shares easily, the ability of a $0.69 stock having the possibility of multiplying X330+ times upon economy rebound. Theres more to my method like 1 yr low/high compared to 4 yr low/high, dividends, etc.
Compare that to Lockheed Martin (LMT) bought at $68 per share, with an all time high of $120....yeah, I'll make money as LMT is more of a blue-chip compared to EEE, but at $68, I can only afford so many shares. And it will only multiply X2+ upon the economy rebounding....but they yield 3.72% in dividends so I'll probably get more after I've bought up all my lower costing stocks on my watch list.
Theres no reason really to explain that :toung:, just figured I'd throw my method out there so you guys dont think im nuts for stopping my TSP contributions in order to buy more stocks. I dont understand the math, but my portfolio manager says im up on EEE some 240% or so. Too bad I didnt throw everything I had into it....I could sell & make a profit! On all my stocks Im currently up $20....unless you take into account it will cost me $10 per company to sell... then im still in the hole $50 (minus any future buys).
I've got a few EFT's on my want-list, but currently only own USO which seems to be on a rollercoaster.....and at $38, I was only able to grab a couple of them.