Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: broker setup

Default Re: broker setup

I found a site that has recently done an indepth and detailed broker review of 12 different major brokers.

http://onlinebrokerreview.blogspot.c...1/overall.html

Everything to details about registration processes to trading to charts, complete with screen shots. See if you agree with the reviewer.

One caveat: I did notice that his glowing review of e-Trade may have something to do with the fact that there is a sponsored link to e-Trade on his site.

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Great source. Does anyone here use zecco?
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    I found a site that has recently done an indepth and detailed broker review of 12 different major brokers.

http://onlinebrokerreview.blogspot.c...1/overall.html
    Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    Great source. Does anyone here use zecco?
    I know that TSPTalk's roskopfm and JB45 use Zecco. Poolman checked it out and wasn't sure about their customer service. I think CB uses Sharebuilder. And there are lots of folks using Scottrade.

I've read elsewhere in a couple of reviews that during times of great market activity, a person may have trouble getting real-time trades through at Scottrade. Anyone here having those problems?

I've just done my 2008 taxes and it appears that Uncle Sam will let me keep enough to fully fund 2 IRA's (mine and spouse's). And I'd like to spread things around a little bit, so I'm looking to open an account with another broker.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please do me a big favor and post a thumbnail review of whatever online broker you are currently using or may have used in the recent past? How hard was it to sign up, what do you think of their charting and research tools, how is their customer service, can you cancel or modify a trade quickly, have you ever had a problem with site slowdown keeping you from making a trade, etc.

My sincere appreciation,
    Lady

they sure dislike bofa....lol
    agree with um on fidelity....bofa is still FREE...& that is hard to beat

oh all those day trades at bofa zipped right into my turbo tax....none of that 20 page sweatshop spreadsheet crap

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    I know that TSPTalk's roskopfm and JB45 use Zecco. Poolman checked it out and wasn't sure about their customer service. I think CB uses Sharebuilder. And there are lots of folks using Scottrade.

I've read elsewhere in a couple of reviews that during times of great market activity, a person may have trouble getting real-time trades through at Scottrade. Anyone here having those problems?

I've just done my 2008 taxes and it appears that Uncle Sam will let me keep enough to fully fund 2 IRA's (mine and spouse's). And I'd like to spread things around a little bit, so I'm looking to open an account with another broker.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please do me a big favor and post a thumbnail review of whatever online broker you are currently using or may have used in the recent past? How hard was it to sign up, what do you think of their charting and research tools, how is their customer service, can you cancel or modify a trade quickly, have you ever had a problem with site slowdown keeping you from making a trade, etc.

My sincere appreciation,
    Lady
    I signed up with Zecco but haven't made a trade yet. 2/5/09 after hours did a transfer from my checking account to Zecco account. The transfer hasn't cleared yet, both sides show pending (2 business days). Does it normally take this long on the first one? How long does it take for other brokers? I haven't formulated an opinion yet on Zecco.

It is almost instantaneous with Scottrade.
    -- Tom | My Trades

My baby account is at eTrade, but I'm opening another account and I want to consider using another broker. So I've been spending a lot of time looking at online broker options. A LOT of time. And here is what I decided for me. Others would probably come to completely different conclusions.

I narrowed choices down to 4 different brokers: another eTrade account, Zecco, Scottrade or Schwabs.

I decided no on eTrade. More costly trades. And its biggest plus to me was its researching tools, but I already have more favorites sites to read in a day than I have time for.

I decided no on Schwabs. More costly trades and its only really huge plus to me was it had a local office.

I decided no on Zecco ... maybe. It had the best trading price. But it's biggest plus seemed to be a big 'community' tool. And Tom's two worlds fill that need for me. And I thought its online tools were just a bit too plain Jane. I need just a few more bells and whistles. Although I'm still thinking about this one. I may open a baby account with Zecco ... I have some active trading ideas and it wouldn't cost as much at Zecco to try them out. JB45, if you see this, please keep us informed about your Zecco experience, okay?

But for my new fully funded IRA I went with Scottrade. The $7 trade price seems just about right. I liked the 'smarttalk' screen. And the research and charting bells and whistles seemed adequate without being more than I wanted to pay for.

For whatever it's worth,
    Lady

Are you talking about the trade "settling"? That takes three day.

Quote Originally Posted by Show-me View Post
    Are you talking about the trade "settling"? That takes three day.
    Trade settling? Show, yet again that is a phrase that is new to me. Could you explain please?

Thanks!
    Lady