Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which ETFs look interesting today?

Default Re: Which ETFs look interesting today?

David Schultz in the 5/18/2009 SectorVue mentioned MOO as being of great interest, so that caught MY interest.

"...The market finally relieved some of the overbought pressure last week. Economic reports continue
    to show declines however they are not in ‘cliff diving’ mode anymore. Is there an Express Train to
    get back on or is the World economy going through a major de-leveraging to reset at current or
    lower levels? I suspect the latter. Whether it be Autos or Banks we have experienced the dangers
    of leverage -- essentially earnings on steroids.

Agribusiness MOO- Number one in overall rank. We have traded and taken profits in this
    Sector several times over the last few months. I expect this horse to be a front runner for
    the next several years as the world populous discovers and demands high protein meals.

Basic Materials XLB- This ‘shovel ready’ sector is up nicely in rank and price.

Housing HGX and Banking BKX- Housing fell into the lower ranks while Banks gave up
    the top slot. I expect both to be a drag on the economy for some time.

Ultra ETF’s- Bearish Financial SKF and Russell TWM are still the trading vehicles of
    choice short and long.

Technology TXX - Google GOOG and Apple AAPL rolled over last week and continue
    to be bellwethers for fast moving institutional money.

Healthcare Sectors IHF,DRG, IHI- increased in price and rank last week. These have
    been sleepers while technology stocks rallied in April and may be value plays now.

Utilities UTY- Stuck in the lower ranks and circling the drain."

http://www.decisionpoint.com/TAC/SCHULTZ.html

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Just figured out UGA is my next buy. good article in FTalphaville yesterday, just spotted this morning. Backwardations=opposite of contango. Explains why gas prices been shooting up lately-aside from summer driving season. How long it stays in backwardation? who knows?

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009...backwardation/

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Nivermind, I looked at charts, they just look too toppy, even if gas is in backwardation. Others might be braver than me tho, I'm justa chart chick.

I'm looking hard at FDN because I'm such a big fan of Amazon's Kindle that I think it could be the next big tech thing. (I'm also considering HHH, which has a much higher percentage of Amazon, but doesn't have GOOG or some others that I like as well.)

I'm trying to find an ETF that contains Amazon, APPL, GOOG and RIMM, but have not yet been successful. After reading the article below, maybe RIMM isn't as necessary to the perfect tech ETF holding. Research In Motion's Blackberry may not have a stranglehold on the market anymore. I mean I like my Blackberry Curve but I'm not a 'Crackberry Addict' so if something better comes along I don't want to be holding RIMM because I thought they were the only thing out there.

Here's a June 5 article that discusses pros and cons of tech phones:

Palm vs. Apple vs. RIM: The Mobile OS Wars Heat Up

by: BlindReason June 05, 2009 | about stocks: AAPL / PALM / RIMM / S / T

"The Palm Pre (PALM) launch is right around the corner, along with Apple's (AAPL) WWDC next week and a lot of people are wondering how this will impact the market dynamics in the handheld wars. The last time Palm innovated was around the time it acquired Handspring. This is its first innovative product in years-- will this save Palm?

I think this device puts Palm back in the race and while the Pre looks fantastic, this device launch alone is not enough to turn Palm into a contender again without a few more devices to round out the Pre family. Most importantly, it has shown that Palm can innovate again which is a fact that's been in dispute for this former market leader. People forget Palm defined this category and they have not had an interesting and innovative product since the Handspring acquisition. My bet though is it gets them enough runway to yet engineer a nice exit to Dell (DELL) or some other acquirer.

If they can have a successful launch, then launch an OLED version of this thing with a 4+ size inch screen for more of a media device they could generate some interesting market share gains. I think that's enough for Palm's private equity investors to declare victory and walk off into the sunset as happy innovators.

A lot of reviewers including Mossberg paint this as a challenger to iPhone and given the lead designer came straight out of Apple a lot of these comparisons hold true. However, I think this device has implications for Rimm (RIMM) as well. This device will be on every carrier starting Q1 2010 and folks who have wanted an iPhone and not wanted to switch to AT&T (T) will pick this device instead of another Blackberry. Most people hate AT&T's network and why switch when you can get most of the functionality of the iPhone without having to move networks?

Just a quick word about Rimm. I think this continues a longer term decline for Rimm in terms of its advantages in the marketplace and its relative value proposition. A keyboard version of the iPhone which essentially the Pre is, only accentuates this trend. "[more....]

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1414...s-wars-heat-up

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok