Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Silver

Default Re: Silver

Quote Originally Posted by burrocrat View Post
    Aahhh, I can't hardly stand it anymore, I've been wanting to short silver hard for about 2 weeks now.

What is a good vehicle for that? Say about a 1-6 week time horizon for the trade?
    If you do short it, nibble in and only add if the chart weakens. It's a runaway train right now. Shorts can get run over.
    -- Tom | My Trades

SLV is up 100% since I bought it. I am happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwtractor View Post
    Ya think?

Sweet trade!
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by wwwtractor View Post
    Congratulations. I was slower than you to get on the train. My cost basis is around $38, so I've made about 20% so far. I'll take that. <giant happy face>
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

I just can't pull the trigger on this one, it scares me. Could an investment in ZSL go to zero if you hold it long enough and if the market keeps rising? How long can one sit in the fund without locking in losses before fees and churning costs of the underlying paper in the fund start to seriously erode the original investment?

Would the things that might strengthen the US dollar tend to drag on the price of silver and cause ZSL to make money?

Say like, an FED statement indicating strengthing the dollar instead of debasing it? Or a rise in interest rates that dampen economic recovery and less demand for metals? Or if legislators get serious about tightening up the federal budget? Or the hot trend crowd starts chasing real estate instead? Those things would be good for ZSL right?

How fast does it move? Should you check on it every week? Day? Hourly? I would have to set stops because I don't trade during the day job, and I'm sure I don't know enough about the technicals to set logical smart ones. I usually place day-only orders set at prices that look good to me in the general percent range I'm comfortable selling for profit or getting in at, like 29.99, or 26.25 or stuff like that.

OK, I just couldn't resist any longer, bought a block of ZSL at $15.09. The only way I learn is by doing. But I'd be glad for any analysis or play by play you might have.

I plan on getting out in two stages so the extra trading fees will take a bite, It's going to have to move big to be worthwhile.

Good luck burro! I would think $50 will be a tough nut to crack. It may break it on the way up, but you'd suspect there will be profit takers at that level - at least temporarily. Who knows, though? These freight trains can be tough to stop.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    Good luck burro! I would think $50 will be a tough nut to crack. It may break it on the way up, but you'd suspect there will be profit takers at that level - at least temporarily. Who knows, though? These freight trains can be tough to stop.
    This will either be too good or too bad, not 5 minutes after making the trade my kid comes in and says 'hey dad, put long black train on the youtube, that's a good one'.

oh crap. I hope the wheels don't come off this one.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Good luck you silverados. I bought SLW (typically leveraged to silver) after saw a fair value analysis that said I was getting in at fair price. plus the CEO said he wasn't going to hedge til silver hit 50.

SLW has been in a slump since I bought while SLV continues screaming upward. great, just great. and once silver hits 50, CEO plans to initiate hedge position. hmm. time to do another fair value analysis-I kept the article to remind me how to do that. gotta find it now.