Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indicators and Oscillators

Default Re: Indicators and Oscillators

JTH,

The chart on the $SPX back in late October 2008 to election day November 4, 2008 looks very similar to the current spike. Might we be starting that sell-off soon? I don't want FAZ to set a 52 week low with all of us holding it.

Thanks for sharing the chart.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Me, I live by the ADX, one of my main indicators. Mostly I use it on weekly timeframe, but I look at the daily, and keep it mainly at 14-week, but sometimes I look at 10-week just for variety. Mainly now waiting to see strong uptrend coming up from below 20 bar. May take awhile yet. I look at daily too on 10 or 14-day window for smaller decisionmaking, but not for big decisions. For those I wait for the weekly crossup.

JTH, you said not useful indicator for every situation, what timeframes and charts do you think ADX less useful for?

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    JTH, you said not useful indicator for every situation, what timeframes and charts do you think ADX less useful for?
    It's good that you brought that up because that's one of the things I'm working on. There is a point where the trend can become choppy and when this happens, the ADX becomes less useful. I'm working on defining when to use it and when to ignore it. As always, it is a work in progress.

9. Trend or Not a Trend

Use ADX. The Average Directional Movement Index (ADX) line helps determine whether a market is in a trending or a trading phase. It measures the degree of trend or direction in the market. A rising ADX line suggests the presence of a strong trend. A falling ADX line suggests the presence of a trading market and the absence of a trend. A rising ADX line favors moving averages; a falling ADX favors oscillators. By plotting the direction of the ADX line, the trader is able to determine which trading style and which set of indicators are most suitable for the current market environment.

http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.p...urphy_s_ten_la
    Candlestick crack addict...

Quote Originally Posted by wv-girl View Post
    I did spend some time playing around with it, which lead to other simular ideas. It's an interesting concept and could definitly be a good broad indicator for long-term holders.

I have it set at 5, but most of the settings (5, 9, 21) would have had you out of the markets for over 6 months. Time permitting, I'll do some backtesting tonight, and post the results if warented.

1.png
    Candlestick crack addict...