Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Day to Day Market Talk

Default Re: Day to Day Market Talk

Decisionpoint is always a "go to" site for me. Their EFT Digest has no eye candy, but if you spend the time to dissect the numbers there is a huge amount of information there. I can't post an example because it is all in tables, and the formatting won't copy, so the tables are screwed up.

If you have some time this weekend, you might want to click on this and study it a bit.

http://www.decisionpoint.com/TAC/Spider.html

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Stock Returns by Sector and Market Cap

by: Alan Brochstein May 01, 2009

The table below (click to enlarge) breaks down the 3 S&P broad indices by their 10 economic sectors:

Despite the much higher returns among small stocks, the YTD differential is still negative.

• Energy has been very strong over the past month with the exception of large-caps.
    • Materials have been strong across the board.
    • Industrials had a strong month, but they still lag on the year.
    • Consumer Discretionary has rebounded across all market caps, but it is actually the very strongest sector of all for the S&P 600.
    • Consumer Staples remain under pressure
    • Healthcare remains extremely disappointing (see my in-depth explanation)
    • Financials saw very different behavior across market caps, with the big boys rocking and the smaller ones getting slammed. This is opposite what was happening from last summer through March.
    • Tech was moderately better than the market as a whole last month and remains one of the healthiest sectors.
    • Telecom Services is performing poorly.
    • Utilities are most likely reflecting the rise in rates and the exodus of "safe-haven" money.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1345...and-market-cap

The chart in that article contains some interesting information. Have a good weekend, everyone!

Lady

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

This is great, Lady, I've been trying to work a sector rotation strategy, difficult w/limited funds, if ya make a mistake, it really limits ability to shift gears in the right direction. I've been watching materials and industrials, got my eye on a couple particular small-midcap stocks, but was unsure whether the sector strengths were really there or not, made me hesitate to throw cap(ital) into the ring. Now that I'll have some new investable funds next week (from partial sale of ATN), I can move forward on a couple other possibles. AND I think I'll sell the rest of my GLD and move that cash into something with better short-term prospects too, even if I do take a hit on the sale.

I read a book regarding a kind of sector rotation strategy during my recent medical trip. It was called "The Ivy Portfolio" and I really enjoyed it. I keep thinking I need to write a book report on it for the MB but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Maybe this weekend....

Lady

ETF Rewind - Week 18 (05/01/09)

(Click Image to Enlarge/ Glossary)

After battling Swine (H1N1) Flu pandemic fears out of the gate, all of the broad indices nevertheless finished the week higher, with the S&P500 (SPY) up +1.4%. As highlighted previously, a number of the more beta-oriented equity indices ultimately finished bullishly above their long-term moving averages, including the NASDAQ100 (QQQQ), Emerging Markets (EEM), Consumer Discretionaries (XLY), and Technology (XLK). All that said, interesting how Utilities led the week (XLU +4.6%)! Among the tracked equity indices, only Financials (XLF) and Real Estate (IYR) fell back ahead of the formal "stress-test" results scheduled for next week Thursday.

Week Nineteen of 2009 features the following earnings and economic calendar, including a Friday jobs report:

http://marketrewind.blogspot.com/

Lady