Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions From Newbies Like Me

Default Questions From Newbies Like Me

OK folks, I understand what ETFs are and I have researched the basics on picking stocks. What do you look for when picking a ETF going long and short? Thanks, JB45

Default Re: Questions From Newbies Like Me

I look at the charts and indicators, myself. I am not big on the fundementals. The fundies are usually built into the chart.

For example, if I am watching the S&P, whether I use SPY, SSO, SH, or SDS, etc., depends on the chart.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by justbizness45 View Post
    OK folks, I understand what ETFs are and I have researched the basics on picking stocks. What do you look for when picking a ETF going long and short? Thanks, JB45

First thing is volume, volume, volume. The more volume the easier it is to trade in and out of. If a ETF trade 10,000 shares volume you may fight to sell at your price.

Second is KISS, start with you S&P chart and it only. Do your analysis and figure out if you think it will go up or down and for how long. Figure a price target and stop. Then use the appropriate ETF for long or short and how much leverage you what to use. I recommend a beginner stick with SPY and SH. After you get the feel move up to the SSO and SDS, then the BGU and BGZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Show-me View Post
    First thing is volume, volume, volume. The more volume the easier it is to trade in and out of. If a ETF trade 10,000 shares volume you may fight to sell at your price.

Second is KISS, start with you S&P chart and it only. Do your analysis and figure out if you think it will go up or down and for how long. Figure a price target and stop. Then use the appropriate ETF for long or short and how much leverage you what to use. I recommend a beginner stick with SPY and SH. After you get the feel move up to the SSO and SDS, then the BGU and BGZ.
    Tried to buy SLV today but my transaction was cancelled. I used a limit and no one want to sell @13.05. Tomorrow I am changing it to a GTC request instead of day and raising the price based on today's action. My understanding is that it will stay active for up to 30 days? Anyone know for sure?

How do you trade during the day and work? I am afraid the computer Nazi's will nail me for non government related internet use.

Lady, another tid bit on Zecco. No after hours trading offered. At least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by justbizness45 View Post
    How do you trade during the day and work? I am afraid the computer Nazi's will nail me for non government related internet use.
    That is just one of the blessings of being retired. I can look at the markets all day long (and usually do ) without having the tattletale eye downloading and reporting to big brother. I would never have dared do anything while I was still working. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Okay, here's a question that I'd love to have everybody's opinion on. I'm still a relative ETF newbie. And every time that someone mentions a stock symbol I have to google it to see what it is. Sometimes over and over again. It's the alzheimers.

Is it practical for us to tag a stock symbol with some type of identifier when referring to it? Instead of just FAZ, saying "FAZ, the financial 3x bear" or something like that? Or should I just suck it up and build a cheatsheet?

Lady

Good idea! I'll try to remember.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Here's another newbie question from me. I really like the long-term prospects of FXI, the China ETF. But I've never invested in a foreign ETF before and I'm clueless about the tax implications of the ETF and its dividends (and whatever else I probably should know that I don't).

Is it seriously different from other ETFs?

Teknobucks or Bullitt, can you shed some light here?

Lady