Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: XL-entLady's Account

Default Re: XL-entLady's Account

Didn't pay attention to my own information! I knew before I bought the AT&T stock that Verizon was going to roll out the iphone this week. And I still bought T stock at $29.75. All I could see was the fact that they always pay juicy dividends. Well, T hit it's stop this morning and it sold at $27.84.

Like my momma says, I need to use my head for more than a hat rack!

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

We can't get better without a few mistakes to remind that we don't know it all.

Better luck on the next one.

I am still trading RIMM (in and out) and I was surprised to see it move up after the announcement. I figured the iPhone announcement would hurt them, but that sucker seems to want to move higher.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Having been employed in the communication industry for 42 years I've been burnt plenty in the past by them, Lucent was the biggest. I'm not a fan of management in ATT, Avaya (now privately owned) and Lucent Alcatel.
    I'm staying away from them. Good luck to you however!

My old pal ROVI is having a struggle. The company is buying out Sonic Solutions (think 'Roxio') and may be having buying pains. But I'm going to hang on for a while, the stock has been so good to me.

Lady

Uh, oh! Sounds like an emotional position. As Oscar says: Stops are in. Emotions are out!
    -- Tom | My Trades

Yeah, you're probably right, emotional position. The last time I sold my position in ROVI was last September. It was going down so I sold at about $42.50, after I bought at $33. So I was more than happy with my gain. Two weeks later it was selling for $52.00 and I was kicking myself for not being more patient!

I bought back in and it eventually went to about $70. It's down to about $63 now, so I'm down about 10% on my top gain, but still up about 20% from my purchase price.

And for anyone else who wants to buy ROVI, keep in mind that it's a hard one to set automatic stops on. Every month or so it goes up or down big then reverses.

Unless it really keeps painting red candlesticks I think I'll hang on until the Roxio purchase to see what happens. Will I be sorry? Probably.

Lady

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    Uh, oh! Sounds like an emotional position. As Oscar says: Stops are in. Emotions are out!
    Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    Unless it really keeps painting red candlesticks I think I'll hang on until the Roxio purchase to see what happens. Will I be sorry? Probably.

Lady
    So ROVI lost 6% on Friday. When will I learn that if Tom speaks I should listen.

I've been deploying a rather large sum of money into a new traditional IRA in the last week.

I purchased several stocks, mostly because of good long-term dividend histories. And I also purchased several ETF's:

DBA @ $35.30
    DBC @ $30.28
    XLE @ $78.84
    XOP @ $61.25
    IWM @ $80.55 and then when there was buying into the close on Friday I purchased
    TNA @ $81.84

And no, I no longer hold a position in ROVI. <grin>

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

good for you, i've been staring at dba for some time, still holding dbc. i'm liking the chart on DBO, it hasnt run away yet. liking the chart on usl also.

I've been remiss at keeping up my account talk the last couple of weeks as I worked to get my account set the way I like it. I no longer have any of the ETFs below except TNA.

I made a new purchase today, PKB at $14.32.

My other stocks and ETFs and their purchase prices are:

AGNC @ 30.12 (got to get rid of that one)
    BGS @ 18.11
    CAT @ 105.08
    CVX @ 103.09
    FAN @ 11.43
    FSC @ 13.48
    HAIN @ 32.54
    KOL @ 48.68
    NFLX @ 227.20
    PFF @ 39.43
    PSEC @ 12.30
    SLV @ 35.24
    T @ 29.57
    TNA @ 84.35
    VZ @ 38.00

Twelve of my current sixteen positions pay dividends. My broker for my big account is TradeKing, $5 trades, so I can easily prune the positions I'm not happy with. So far I'm doing okay overall. I will try to be better about posting my moves.

Please feel free to comment, good or bad.