Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: XL-entLady's Account

Default Re: XL-entLady's Account

My RSX fell off a cliff this morning. Not sure why yet, but it triggered its trailing stop almost at market's open.

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    My RSX fell off a cliff this morning. Not sure why yet, but it triggered its trailing stop almost at market's open.

Lady

Dollar rallied? GLD, SLV and ERW all gapped down this morning.
    Candlestick crack addict...

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    Dollar rallied? GLD, SLV and ERW all gapped down this morning.
    Yeah, J, you're right. It looks like that gap up in the dollar is hitting all my overseas holdings hard.

Okay, memo to self: when holding overseas ETFs, pay attention to the daily cycle of the dollar!

BTW, J, your signature tagline cracks me up!

Lady

I won't put this in the 'news' section because I can't substantiate it yet. But there is some rumoring that we're going to be seeing monthly (not daily) leveraged ETFs soon.

FWIW,

Lady

My FAZ just sold for 22.42, purchased @ $66.60. That is enough to make you superstitious!

FAZ was a huge hit on my account. I learned several lessons from FAZ/FAS in March: never trade with unsettled funds, trade with the trend, don't double down on a losing position.

I'm really having a love/hate relationship with stops. It seems that the levered funds swing so wildly that you can't set a stop that is loose enough so it doesn't knock you out just before it changes direction and still tight enough that it gives you any protection.

I'm starting to decide that I don't have the stomach, the expertise, or the nerves to trade 3x ETFs yet. Until and unless I can feel more comfortable with my entry/exit/stop skills, I'm sticking with unlevered funds. What can I say .... you guys already know I'm a chicklett!

Lady

The 3 timers are certainly dangerous, but quite entertaining. Perhaps using an option as a hedge? But the FAZ options are quite expensive given the volitility.

Hmmm... A quick check shows they don't appear to have puts for FAZ, only calls.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/op?s=FAZ
    -- Tom | My Trades

Now that my FAZ nightmare is finally behind me , my current positions are GTU, GDX, SLV (large position), SLW (which I'm very happy with today ), PTM (are we sensing a theme? ), SDY, DBB, DBC, and EEM.

FWIW,
    Lady

Lady, you and me both

I still love the 3x action because it relaxes me. But your right, placing stops is tricky. Unless you're glued to the action, these 3xers are better off being held for the day only or not at all.

FAZ is the teacher and I am the student...
    Candlestick crack addict...

Now that my FAZ nightmare is finally behind me , my current positions are GTU, GDX, SLV (large position), SLW (which I'm very happy with today ), PTM (are we sensing a theme? ), SDY, DBB, DBC, and EEM.

FWIW,
    Lady
    And IGW. Forgot IGW. Some days I'd like to forget IGW. But I keep hanging on to it anyway.

Lady

My FAZ just sold for 22.42, purchased @ $66.60. That is enough to make you superstitious!

FAZ was a huge hit on my account. I learned several lessons from FAZ/FAS in March: never trade with unsettled funds, trade with the trend, don't double down on a losing position.

I'm really having a love/hate relationship with stops. It seems that the levered funds swing so wildly that you can't set a stop that is loose enough so it doesn't knock you out just before it changes direction and still tight enough that it gives you any protection.

I'm starting to decide that I don't have the stomach, the expertise, or the nerves to trade 3x ETFs yet. Until and unless I can feel more comfortable with my entry/exit/stop skills, I'm sticking with unlevered funds. What can I say .... you guys already know I'm a chicklett!

Lady
    Hi Lady, I agree, stops on the 3x etf's are impossible. The swings will get you everytime. I bought Faz at $19 and decided since I was going to be out of the house that I'd better put a stop on just in case. Of course it hit and sold out and by the time I got back, Faz was up over $23, so I bought in at that price. This time I'm not putting a stop unless it's way off from the share price. Probably would need to be 25 or 30 %.