Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: XL-entLady's Account

Default Re: XL-entLady's Account

Perhaps metals are waiting on a confirmation of stock market direction. From what I've noticed, It seems we are stuck at price levels that match volume by price. For me, it's all a wait and see thing.
    Candlestick crack addict...

Been looking at the QQQQ chart all day and .... just bought the Q's at $32.10. Couldn't wait until Thursday.

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

On the other MB I had asked about dividend stocks because I was having trouble finding any that really wowed me. I hold PFF (an ETF that holds S&P preferred stock with an expense ratio of 0.48) and the dividend yield is almost 12%. But I was having trouble finding others that could match that. The following article might explain why. So I thought I'd post it in case others were interested. Not sure which other thread it belonged in, so I stuck it here.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1299...dend-investors

Lady

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    On the other MB I had asked about dividend stocks because I was having trouble finding any that really wowed me. I hold PFF (an ETF that holds S&P preferred stock with an expense ratio of 0.48) and the dividend yield is almost 12%. But I was having trouble finding others that could match that. The following article might explain why. So I thought I'd post it in case others were interested. Not sure which other thread it belonged in, so I stuck it here.

Lady
    One thing I just remembered that I should probably mention about PFF is that 80%+ of it's holding are in the financial sector ...... That's why I got a stop on it even though it is preferred stock and pays a 12% divvie.

Lady

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post

Lady
    I'm also on the hunt for divvy stocks, but what I've been reading makes me very wary of any stock with straight yield over-say 6-7%, because that yield is likely to be coming down hard in the very near future. I don't really understand preferreds, so making no judgement on them.

I'm wading around in the pool of divvy stocks with yields of 1-5% right now, trying to pick 2 or 3 on value basis. I still think P/Es need to come down much further before this dance is over-so price is going to have to come down if earnings are down big already.

JTH's comment about value investors' emotional attachment to particular stocks doesn't resonate with me at all, not sure where that came from. I'm just looking for good buys on the fundamentals at this point and also trying to stratify using sector rotation theory to prioritize the buys-closing in but not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    I'm also on the hunt for divvy stocks, but what I've been reading makes me very wary of any stock with straight yield over-say 6-7%, because that yield is likely to be coming down hard in the very near future. I don't really understand preferreds, so making no judgement on them.
    Because Wells Fargo stock is going CRAZY this morning and my PFF is about 8% WFC, my PFF is doing well this morning.

Alevin, the big reason (other than the divvies) that I bought PFF is that it is preferred rather than common stock. And preferred stockholders get paid their divvies before the common stockholders get theirs. That is one big difference between preferred and common stock.

FWIW,
    Lady

I mentioned that my PFF is doing well today. My IGW is also doing well and when I was trying to find out why I stumbled on a news article that says Intel (a holding in IGW) has invented a new computer chip that is supposed to be about twice as fast as current chips. So I bought INTC this morning. (I know that's not an ETF but I thought the news might be of interest.)

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1301...a-game-changer

Lady

Before I forget, I thought I'd just mention that my folks are coming tomorrow. They'll be here for a week. They are both in their upper 70's so the trip won't be easy for them but it's been so long since I've been able to travel to see them that they're coming to me instead. I think they love me.

Anyway, after they get here tomorrow night my computer time will probably just be sporadic early morning stuff for the next week.

Lady

My parents just left. It was a great visit. They get more frail every time I see them. If your parents are still living, do me and you a favor and phone them just to say hi because you can, today.

For the last few days, my account didn't get the scrutiny I usually give it. I would like to think that I would have caught the move down and sold my IGW before the stop triggered this morning, but I probably wouldn't have.

I still have positions in GDX and SLV that have very tight stops on them, and positions in PTM, PFF and DBB with loose stops. (Although I'm going to tighten the stop on PTM as soon as I have time to study the chart more.)

I also have a position in QQQQ that I should have sold yesterday but didn't. And now I've got to study the chart to see if I should still sell or hang on to it for a bit to see if it recovers.

So I'm back on the MB, and that's my account report.

Lady

Just sold my GDX and SLV, both at a loss. Tightened my stop on PTM and it may trigger soon but I won't sell it yet to see if it turns around. It may be that the PTM uptrend while other precious metals have been falling is due to a new platinum ETN coming on market soon. Keeping a close eye on it. My DBB is down this morning but I think it's a bollinger band thing, I think there is more upside there.

Lady