Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: XL-entLady's Account

Default Re: XL-entLady's Account

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    I'm in TNA again @ $17.13. No stops yet. I'm watching ....

Lady
    I put a 4% trailing stop on my TNA. Will probably get stopped out for a third time. Then I'm done with bull index funds. It will be all bear from here anyway. Bought SDS (the S&P 3x bear) at $94.87 and it's down right now but I'm holding it without a stop. It will be up before the end of the week ... maybe ....

I bought more GTU (gold trust) and SLV (silver trust) today. Should have bought more of that nutty GOE (gold ETN) today too because it has taken off to the upside again. That thing is like a roller coaster!

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

You bought both TNA (3 x long small caps) and SDS (2 x short S&P) this morning?

Go GOE! It has been amazing. I have no position but I've been rooting for you.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    You bought both TNA (3 x long small caps) and SDS (2 x short S&P) this morning?

Go GOE! It has been amazing. I have no position but I've been rooting for you.
    Yeah, both TNA and SDS. Call it hedging, I guess. I figured that the SDS will be a longer time hold than the TNA. First time I've done this. Probably won't work!

Lady

I see. It makes sense. I "try" to do that with futures, saying I will short one or two ES contracts for the intermiediate-term looking for lower prices months down the road, while at the same time trade other contracts, long and short, in the short-term. I can't always seem to stick to that plan (like I wrote about in the TSP Comments today). I get too tempted to cover shorts when I see a short-term bullish set up. I need to work on that because believe the big money is made in the intermediate to longer term positions. I watch a lot of Oscar's videos and he's such a scalper that he talks me out of holding anything.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Okay, stopped out on TNA. Third time's done. I'm a slow learner. Bought TZA at $77.54. Will try going with the long term trend instead of against it this time!

Still thinking about the problem of holding leveraged ETFs for more than a day. Haven't come up with a brilliant solution yet.

Lady

Today I'm really feeling like a slow learner. I paper traded ETFs until I was pretty confident in my abilities before I started to trade with more than monopoly money. But today I found out that I need to go back to all my investment books and review "Entry and Exit Points 101."

I'm happy with every stock that I have right now, but some of my entry points are really the pits!

Lady

Okay, stopped out on TNA. Third time's done...
    "Entry and Exit Points 101."
    Tight stops are obviously very vulnerable in this volatile market. When trying to pick a bottom (or short-term reversal), using 5% below the prior days' low is actually a good plan.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    Tight stops are obviously very vulnerable in this volatile market. When trying to pick a bottom (or short-term reversal), using 5% below the prior days' low is actually a good plan.
    Thanks for the advice. It's written in my trading journal now!

Lady

I bought the GOE Gold Index ETN yesterday at $31.75 and it promptly fell by about 12%. I felt so dumb that I didn't even want to post the trade. Now today it's at $35.96 and rising.

This one is so volatile that I can't decide where to put my stops!

Lady
    Sold GOE today at $40.00 even. May buy again in one of it's lower priced incarnations.

Lady

Sold GOE today at $40.00 even. May buy again in one of it's lower priced incarnations.

Lady
    I am envious of that trade. Great job!

That's amazing how some trades look like a person made a mistake....Then wham...an amazing return.

Option trading has those big swings, but the potential return is phenomenol. It is always an adrenalin rush when the option go into the money$$$. If we get a run up in the S&P, I am going to buy some call options on SDS for the next market drop.