Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making / Discussing the Account Rules

Default Making / Discussing the Account Rules

We will want to have some rules in place for accountability purposes. This will help avoid most of the awkward confrontations that will likely arise when members post their trades.

This is not like the TSP where we all have a 12 noon deadline, and buy and sell one of 5 to 10 funds at a closing price.

Current rules: http://www.etftalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362

Please share your comments, ideas, and suggestions.

Thanks!
    -- Tom | My Trades

Default Re: Making the Account Rules

Tom,

Could you setup an account for each participant to post the trades they make during the day with say a cutoff time in the evening?
    Maybe even setup an account with a value of $10,000 and no margin to keep track of the gains/losses. That might be harder to do since there is so many ETF's and stocks. I suggest no limiting trades to just ETF's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Could you setup an account for each participant to post the trades they make during the day with say a cutoff time in the evening?
    Maybe even setup an account with a value of $10,000 and no margin to keep track of the gains/losses. That might be harder to do since there is so many ETF's and stocks. I suggest no limiting trades to just ETF's.
    Sure. I'll make one for you, and do it individually as requested for each member. I will start each account with $10,000, and we'll see how that goes.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Right now, this is not set up as a contest, just a tool to watch each other trade, and to talk about the trades. Maybe some day it will evolve into that, but for now, let's use it as a useful trading tool.
    -- Tom | My Trades

I added this to the rules:

- When closing a position, please use the quote feature to reference the original opening positions(s).

See example below:
    -- Tom | My Trades

Example:

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    Bought ETF here @ $45.15
    Just sold ETF @ 61.02

+35.1%

* A link (the small arrow in the quote) to the original trade is automatically inserted this way
    -- Tom | My Trades

Default Re: Making / Discussing the Account Rules

Added this rule to the Monday morning quarterbacking rule:

- Moreover, please post the trade as close to the time of the actual trade as possible.

Not that anyone currently here would do this, but this is to avoid people claiming that always buy the low and sell the high.

If you buy something at 2 PM and post between 2:00 and 2:15, it is easier for us to verify it as a valid trade. It's not the end of the world if you don't (for now) but your credibility won't come into question if you post your trades timely.

Thanks
    -- Tom | My Trades

Tom, re your posting our trades as close to time as possible, today I bought FAZ on a limit order and didn't know I bought it until about an hour after the fact. I have no audible alerts set up on my computer. (It's one of those Vista glitch work-around things.) Anyway, I'll do my best but ....

Maybe if I miss the cut-off I just won't post the trade. That's probably best, huh.

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

That's all we ask, do what you can.

I have been posting the limit orders so if they do get hit, you can say you were filled. We can then see that the ETF did dip to that level at some point after the limit order post.

I don't want to be too much of a stickler right now, but some day we may have the contest thing going with several traders and we'll need good guidelines.

When TSP Talk started, every other new member seemed to be in the the best fund since the bottom. We finally had enough and used the posting with the noon deadline as a requirement, and what do you know... the magic returns came down to earth.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    When TSP Talk started, every other new member seemed to be in the the best fund since the bottom. We finally had enough and used the posting with the noon deadline as a requirement, and what do you know... the magic returns came down to earth.
    LOL!
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok