Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Financials: FAS vs. FAZ

Default Re: The Financials: FAS vs. FAZ

And so the saga continues

I'm watching FAS for an exit out of FAZ. For those holding FAZ in the 20s, I imagine life is looking pretty good right now. As for myself, I'm just looking objectively for a good exit.

Hourly Chart 16 days. If we can close below the solid green trendline, then I'll be voting for a gap fill and possible run to 5.40
    sc.png

Looking at On Balance Volume. We have Lower Highs.
    sc1.png

Looking at the ADX trend strength. We have Lower Highs and have moved into the "choppy" area.
    sc2.png
    Candlestick crack addict...

I suppose I could hold on for another 20 years and let my kids use the money to pay off the debt the government has passed onto them?

Ugly, ugly, ugly chart...

sc.png

FAZ closed at the high of the day. Good sign (for the bears)
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    FAZ closed at the high of the day. Good sign (for the bears)
    Go Bears!

So some folks let go of their FAZ this morning. I can't say I blame them, it's been on the wrong side of the trade since the 666

Financials are actually lagging now. Probably a good time to short (now that I sold FAZ).

There is that strong positive seasonality for Thursday (pre-Good Friday) and a negative bias for Monday (post Easter). That said, I'm not a big fan of using seasonality right now. The other market forces are too great.

I'd like to see how the market opens on Monday, but if we rally today and / or Thursday, I might start getting short again for Monday. The greed in me hates to miss a gap down open - if that is what we get. I don't mind missing a gap higher because I think it would be short-lived.
    -- Tom | My Trades

I knew the math was bad. I didn't know it was this bad.

"Much has been written about the math behind leveraged ETFs and mutual funds, yet most investors fail to realize the true impact. ....For this example, I have chosen two inversely related leveraged funds: Direxion Financial Bull 3x Shares (NYSE: FAS) and Direxion Financial Bear 3x Shares (NYSE: FAZ). The chart below illustrates the returns for the five-month period from 11/6/2008 through 4/6/2009 for the following four scenarios:
    1. Green Line: Buy and hold FAS = -86.3%
    2. Red Line: Buy and hold FAZ = -76.9%
    3. Yellow Line: Buy and hold equal amounts of FAS and FAZ with no rebalancing (what some might consider a perfect hedge) = -81.6%
    4. Cyan Line: Buy equal amounts of FAS and FAZ and rebalance every day (a lot of work) = -25.0% (not counting transaction fees and slippage)

"

http://www.greenfaucet.com/technical...x-impact/46093

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Thanks Lady, I hadn't realized just how bad it was until I saw your chart and did some price performance back testing myself just to confirm.

It should be about criminal what is happening.

Today's price performance.
    1sc.png

Last 10 days
    2sc.png

3sc.png

One of my all-time favorite blogspots is "Slope of Hope" and today I felt his pain when he said, "I am not touching FAZ again...........ever.........."

http://www.slopeofhope.com/

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    One of my all-time favorite blogspots is "Slope of Hope" and today I felt his pain when he said, "I am not touching FAZ again...........ever.........."

http://www.slopeofhope.com/

Lady
    I have no problems with FAZ as a short-term trade only. But it sure does have to be watched closely and/or have stops in place.