Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: JTH's Account

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Default Re: JTH's Account

Wow, JTH, now I know why you're into preparedness for the whatever. Me, I've just been reading Denninger the last year 1/2, and commentary from his trader associates. I've been slowly stocking up too, seed, tools, am within a mile of a river, got quite a few buckets, Chlorox slowly accumulating for sterilization along with water filter for drinking, got the security system about 8 months ago after an attempted breakin Nov before last, got my list going, checking things off slowly. One of the next moves is security film for windows. It was designed for hurricane country, to help people reduce window breakage. It's good for preventing breakage from other sources as well. I got all the window measurements today finally. Will order this coming week.

I'm also boosting practical skills and info, like my vet neighbor today told me he used to build solar hot water heaters. Told him I want him to teach me how this year. Also got designs for solar oven, easy to make, just need to get an oven thermometer from kitchen store. Am prepping for getting chickens next year, infrastructure this year, chickens next. got friends with layers and roosters, so I know I can get chicks/fertile eggs from them if no other source available. Want to get roof replaced this year, plus insulation. Canning supplies. Build up on prescription meds for asthma that I only need now and then.

Not sure how long we've got til things fall apart and can't get the materials or the companies I'm looking at may go out of business if I don't get things done now. It will wipe out my cash cushion tho if I do all that now. I don't want to take on new debt TSP or new mortgage, in case the gov decides can't afford me any more in a couple years time. It's cash crunch time for me, can't save enough fast enough to spend fast enough on things I need and soon. JMO.

I don't like feeling like chicken little. Weapons and ammo are on the list. Just down a little. I have an LEO (law enforcement) coworker who has said he'd be happy to go shooting with me for practice. I need to get CCW permit tho when I get one of the weapons on my list. So much to do, so little time, so little cash flow. going to cut off the cable TV next to improve cash accumulation. already dropped the health club membership back in December. Planning on getting a burn barrel this year too, once I get enough trees taken out that I have safe overhead space for burn barrel. Serious about compost pile buildup too. Reduce, recyle, reuse. Garbage service is one of first things to go when society falls apart.
    Last edited by alevin; 03-29-2009 at 03:31 AM. Reason: readability

Alevin, if you are serously considering a firearm and ammo you might want to move it up the list a little. In my area it is getting difficult to find ammo to buy. I went into the local sportsman store the other day and they only had 13 handguns in stock (and they weren't the 9MMs or highly desireable calibers). They usually have 50-60. They also had no shotgun shells, no 9MM, .357, .38Spec, .44spec or 44mag ammo. They told me they can't keep it on the shelf. JMO.

I have been stocking up some also. My problem right now is that my wife thinks I'm nuts and there is no way things can go that far south. I on the other hand give it a 15 - 20% chance and I think I need to hedge for the possibility. Not go nuts just hedge the possibilty.

I went ahead and got a remmington 870 tactical shotgun and a few hundred shells. The gun store I went to was booming and they said gun prices were rocketing up. AK47's are about double what they were several months ago. I like my shotgun, but may need a hand gun or rifle.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Quote Originally Posted by justbizness45 View Post
    Alevin, if you are serously considering a firearm and ammo you might want to move it up the list a little. In my area it is getting difficult to find ammo to buy. I went into the local sportsman store the other day and they only had 13 handguns in stock (and they weren't the 9MMs or highly desireable calibers). They usually have 50-60. They also had no shotgun shells, no 9MM, .357, .38Spec, .44spec or 44mag ammo. They told me they can't keep it on the shelf. JMO.

I have been stocking up some also. My problem right now is that my wife thinks I'm nuts and there is no way things can go that far south. I on the other hand give it a 15 - 20% chance and I think I need to hedge for the possibility. Not go nuts just hedge the possibilty.
    I'm afraid we're on or close to the Black Swan fattail econ-socio wise. Other sources give us 10% MadMax, 20-40% just serious hard times. I'm preparing more for the 10-40% scenario right now I guess. Things I was already planning on doing-roofing, big garden, reducing grocery bills, composting, insulation, cutting utility bills, before this ever hit.

Things I wasn't planning on previously as possibility = local services crashing-water-sewer, police, fire, electrical shortages. We're already in jeopardy from fire service standpoint, rural fire district tax negotiations stalled past several years, tax base-residents only- half renters; tax increase requires 50% of residents voting (not property owners), and majority of that required for tax increase to go forward to pay increased contract costs. Stalemate Solution: fire service contractor (city fire dept), cut staff-that was a couple years ago. , and won't swear they'll keep your house from burning down, will only promise to keep it from spreading to neighbors houses.

On the firearm situation, maybe I've been hiding head in sand, knew about sales velocity in bigger population areas, have been hoping (not a strategy , I know I know), wasn't same in small-town rural areas, where percentage wise more people already armed to begin with. But I haven't checked to know if true or not. If its a supplier capacity deficit, then I'm probably SOL. Good thing is, most of surrounding neighbors are armed, and we all are acquainted and nobody on bad terms with anyone, now the crazy is gone, so think we could develop neighborhood defence plan if we had to go there.

CP, you're ahead of the curve. Better to have no regrets on that one. Good work.
    Last edited by alevin; 03-29-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling

My next purchase is clean 55 gal drums for water storage and propane tanks for cooking. I have a well and a generator to run it but gas may become scarce so I will only run to refill drinking water from the well if it comes to that.

Looking back, I'd much rather have 2 firearms and 20,000 rounds, than 10 firearms and 1,000 rounds. But at the same time I have to leave something behind for my kids.

If I could only own 1, it would be a shotgun with a wide variety of ammo.
    Attachment 79

If I could only own 2, I'd add the .22 because it's cheap and quiet to shoot. Attachment 80

For all practicality, IMHO the AK-47 is overrated for anything short of a Zombie invasion. It's too expensive, damm heavy, the demand is extremely high, and over penetration in urban areas is a concern. This is the second one I've owned and I still kick myself for having sold my first one. I just need two more so I can pass them on to my 3 kids.

I never shoot the AK, it's for one hell-of-a rainy day...
    Attachment 81
    Last edited by JTH; 05-11-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Candlestick crack addict...

Quote Originally Posted by justbizness45 View Post
    I have a well and a generator to run it but gas may become scarce so I will only run to refill drinking water from the well if it comes to that.
    Back in my 20s, I lived on property that had a well. I happen to think a well is the MOST important thing you can have. With Summer on the horizon I need to build up more water. We have 108 gallons on hand, but I won't feel good about that until I can get 4 of those water drums. I wish I had a well, if I did I'd be a happy camper

I had an old 70s RV once. It had a small propane/electric fridge. I'll have to make one someday.

Some of you backwoods folks are lucky! The next time I move I'll be sure to move out into the boonies where I can set up a self-sufficient home. I am very lucky that my wife is aware and very adaptive. We both want to have a ranch and raise some our own food.

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    On the firearm situation,
    Here's the thing. Most people spend way too much money on firearms just to protect their 1 bag of beans! At least you have your priorities in order. I tell folks just starting off, to start off by getting .22lr ammo now, it will only go up in value and later on it may become a form of currency. A 200 dollar Wall mart .22lr rifle 22 rifle will take care of 99% of your problems. The fact is people don't like gun fights and they don't stop to ask what caliber you are using.

A brick (500-550 rounds) of .22lr ammo cost less than 20 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Corepuncher View Post
    I went ahead and got a remmington 870 tactical shotgun and a few hundred shells. The gun store I went to was booming and they said gun prices were rocketing up. AK47's are about double what they were several months ago. I like my shotgun, but may need a hand gun or rifle.
    I swear by shotguns. It's the only firearm that stays loaded and is by my bedside at all times. It is the swiss army knife of firearms...

One thing that doesn't always get mentioned is COMM. I started out as an F-16 Comm guy before I moved over to computers, so my views are somewhat biased.

Scanner: We keep a hand-held analog scanner (radio shack 100 bucks) that works great for my local area since we are not trunked or encrypted. Afterwards, We bought an external antenna and we're able to pick up everything within a 20-40 mile range. I can listen to the local police, state police, the Feds, fire department, Medics, Boarder patrol, trains, weather, and some local HAMS.

Short Wave Radio:
    Another radio shack item that cost less than 50 bucks. It depends on the time of day and the atmospheric conditions, but this 2AA battery hand held radio has picked up Taiwan, England, Canada, and several others I can't figure out.

GMRS: Hand held walkie Talkies are cheap and useful for road trips.

Batteries: A boat load of disposable batteries and even more rechargeables.

Things I'd like: I'd like to get my kids their HAM license and a digital/analog HAM setup.

I'd like to have Satellite internet to decrease our chances of getting cut off from the outside world.