Thread: Never again

Default Never again

I'm remodeling the bathroom and replacing the carpet in the house. I'm doing all of this myself because I'm a cheapskate and I'm a man, so for some reason I think I can do anything

I managed to rip everything out of the bathroom in about 4 hours, including the cast iron tub.

I ripped the carpet out of the hallway and O MY GOODNESS!!! There was piles of dirt under the carpet's foam. It was just disgusting and after looking at that, I'll never have carpet again.

If you've every lived in the south-west, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Candlestick crack addict...

Default Re: Never again

I never liked carpet in a bath because of the water. Tile or wood. Check out the heated floor options. They make a electric mesh underlayment for in the floor that would be great under my very very cold marble. Wished I followed my instincts on that one.

And, why are we up so late?

Quote Originally Posted by Show-me View Post
    And, why are we up so late?
    Yeah, you guys need to get your beauty sleep!

JTH, I know exactly what you mean! I live in the southwest too and that red dirt just sifts through the carpet backing and pad, and all the vaccuuming in the world won't get it out. We have tile in half our house and carpet in the other half. The tile is freezing cold on my bare feet but it's sure easy to keep clean. (I'd never heard of that heated mesh, Show-me, wish I had!)

I want to take the carpet out and put hardwood or laminate in but spouse says he doesn't think it will blend well with the tile. And he's the one who would be doing it so he gets the last word!

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

I don't mind dirt when it's hidden. It's mold, bugs, or pet issues that would freak me out.

An old high school friend of my wife's wound up in our art gallery one day recently. He owns his own business, mostly building log cabins and subcontracting work, but he said things were slow and he was looking for some side jobs. He was so reasonable price-wise, that I couldn't pass it up. He's done our kitchen counter, some tile work, sheet rock in the basement. After remodeling 2 bathrooms myself over the last few years, I'm not sure I could have done these jobs myself for the same price.

I am a man too, but I kind of enjoy sitting on my PC and hearing the sound of others working hard.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    I am a man too, but I kind of enjoy sitting on my PC and hearing the sound of others working hard.
    I completely understand, I've found that the older I get, the more I'm willing to pay someone else to do it. For instance I use to do my own car maintenance, but now days I just refuse to do anything beyond an oil change or a light bulb.

I'm only doing the bathroom and floors because we need to upgrade the house, and it would cost twice as much if I paid someone else to do it. Luckily, there were'nt any critters and there were only a few webs. That kind of stuff gives me the heebee jeebees and totaly freaks me out!

Honestly though, I really don't care what my house looks like. I could live in a tent and be just as happy This is the wife's bathroom, and I'm doing it because I love her and she deserves it.
    Candlestick crack addict...

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    Honestly though, I really don't care what my house looks like. I could live in a tent and be just as happy This is the wife's bathroom, and I'm doing it because I love her and she deserves it.
    And you will reap suitable rewards for doing it then!

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok