Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: alevin's Account

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Default Re: alevin's Account

Garsh, I'm feeling the urge to buy, been sitting on about 40% cash in Roth and taxable for a few months now. Emotional urge? yeah, must mean its time to sell. Still got profits to harvest, but stalling on the sell based on tax considerations, longterm vs. shortterm (I have a lot to learn yet about tradeoffs-I'll probably learn via mistakes and post-mortem analyses ). Keep thinking too about waiting and using the cash to add on the BIG drop I believe is yet to come this year, so if I can just hold off on the URGE, think I'll make some better decisions, at least on the BUY side. Sell side remains to be seen. Glad I sold my remaining GLD tho a couple weeks ago at small profit. No regrets there.

Sitting with cash sounds good to me.

My silver (SLW) and oil/tech (IO) plays have fallen below my baseline price, and previous support levels. It could get ugly real quick, so maybe better buying opportunities are just around the corner?
    Candlestick crack addict...

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Still sitting, but thinking of bailing DDG tomorrow. As a side note, I got an estimate from local electrical contractor this week for upgrading wiring situation in my house. the estimate is only good for a week, the explanatory note on the bid said bid only good for a week due to fluctuations in copper prices.-makes me think he thinks copper going higher short-term. Anybody here got a different take?

Hi Alevin,
    Caught your post on sister site. Thanx for the reading info. Sounds good. Been having a really busy summer myself. I have family coming next week, I've been trying to get ready for that, plus doing double duty at work since the boss is on vacation, it seems there is never enuff time anymore to get much accomplished or even enjoy what is accomplished..Boss comes back next week and I go on vacation. Barely enuff time to catch him up on stuff. Hope I am not too exhausted to sport my family around to whatever spots they wish to see. Then I will need a vacation from my vacation. whew. Anyway, I am still around, just not as often.

Hope your getting some good trades from the rally.. See ya next time and thanks again for the reading suggestion.
    wv-girl

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Wow! we sure aren't very talky around here lately. Decided to make a little chatter just to freshen things up.

I'm thinking I'll unload my DBC in the morning, it's just been skunking around way too long. "skunking around" is a term used in the wildland fire mgt. world, lol.

If I sell, it'll still be a small profit, right now indicators are that it'll go down shortly, even tho a big part of it is oil and my oil stocks are still hanging in there at much bigger % increase than DBC, from where I bought them. I'm hoping I can hold the 2 stocks for a year to do the longterm cap gains thing w/o doing myself damage, but DBC seems to be a lot more shakey to hold onto much longer.

think I'll feel better about the other 2 if I unload the DBC now. I still have dry powder besides, so once the DBC is off my mind I may have a lot clearer head to make some new buy decisions re UUP or an inverse or something when the Smoke on the Water clears off a little more.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

sold the ATN this morning from Roth account for ~80% profit @$24.80. It's headed to zero on Rate of Change (short-term sell signal indicator). BP (trading account) has already crossed below zero and DBC (big chunk is oil) is sitting on zero line. Am holding a small bit of DDG to offset any losses in DBC (still have a small profit in DBC to offset small losses in DDG).

Holy Crap Batman! You did good!

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Yeah, did good! made up for earlier errors a bit. Picked ATN as one of my first 2 stocks ever,the being BP. I bought based on fundamentals mostly, as well as charts, as well as it was supposed to have a great dividend, but right after I bought in, they suspended the next dividend that was due. Some would say that was a good enough reason to sell right there, changing their rules that were one of my buy criteria. I was pretty unhappy at the time, but held off selling since they were going up. Wish I'd waited til the ROC sell signal completed, they decided last couple days to not close the sell signal, reversed course and hit $27! Birch would laugh and tell me should coulda, told you so, but DeMark Indicators I'm learning are saying it's close to another sell signal again about now anyway. We'll see how that plays out. Maybe I'll be able to get back in lower later again.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Bought GAS this morning for Roth acct. Canadian NG -price performance completely inverse to UNG. Finally sold DDG (1x short oil) in Roth for approx. 15% loss (small position fortunately), hung onto it WAY too long. Every short ETF I've bought this year has hurt me. I'm going to lay low now and wait for the good longs, quit playing the shorts until I really really know which way things are going. I don't need to hedge in roth acct (my thinking was screwed up there, unscrewed now). Put in a day order on new Nordic ETF GXF but hasn't filled yet.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Did manage to buy GXF on Friday for Roth, along w/3 pipeline MLPs to replace the ATN MLP I sold recently. the pipeline MLPs are BWP, MGG and WMB (1 totally NatGas, 1 mixed-oil, gas, 1 strictly oil.)

One thing should have checked before buying tho-earnings>dividends. 2 of 3 meet that criterion, one does not. eating its children/assets to keep partners happy-not a good idee, think I'll sell it quick, bad investment to have made in first place-didn't look close enough. I still have dry powder so can still buy something else in its place this week while the sale settles.

Some say shouldn't buy MLPs in tax-deferred accounts due to tax complexity with portion of distributions counting as unrelated (taxable) business income-that only makes a difference if have >$1000 in distributions from all MLPs in a given year-that won't happen for me, my accounts too small yet.