Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: alevin's Account

Default Re: alevin's Account

Your patience paid off, super! I need to learn to be more patient with my positions sometimes. Having a Roth, so not having to think of tax consequences is not a good thing for me.

Good to see your post!

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Good pick!

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

I have Roth and taxable-both relatively tiny so have to be careful don't burn up the seed corn with trading commissions-another reason I try to pick something for longer holds and/or fabulous gains-or both. If I was totally convinced of my stockpicking skills, I'd take bigger positions in the first place. I'm still sitting 1/2 cash or better in both accounts (too much, I know)-only have 2-3 ETFs/stocks in each account. that way I have something to use if I see a terrific buy out there somewhere, don't have to wait on 3-day settlement to buy. still need to finish funding Roth account for 2010 in next couple weeks and tuck some more into the taxable while I'm at it. Once I get account(s) level(s) up to 5 figures, I will start feeling braver about putting 75% into stocks/ETFs at any one time-as long as mr. market gives general trend information.

still waiting to see how much more I need to juggle home budget to try and add to these for 2011-after I take a look at pp 1 earnings statement (takehome) with all the changes-SS, TSP, FSA, taxes, increasing gas and food costs, etc. earnings statement won't be available to review until tomorrow.

You are so responsible financially. Good model for the rest of us. Thanks for explaining your position.

Lady

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

got my 2010 roth fully funded, cash sitting on sidelines. decided to put in lowball bids this morning on STO and EWD. Already have some STO in the GXF I'm still holding, but wanted to bump up the STO. The EWD increases exposure to swedish economy which is doing well right now-not a euro-nation. financial situation pretty good and strong on commodities too.

limit orders good til deleted-I usually end up paying more than low of the day, thought i'd try something new-bids at the 50 MA, gap close.

Interesting. Let us know how that works for you, okay?

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

well, got the EWD this morning, for better or worse. right on the 50 ma. end of day a small spinning top body sitting on top of the ma, close a little above, on rising volume compared to yesterday which was a solid down day.

this is in the roth account so the cap gains/loss thing doesnt figure into my strategy at all, just trading costs which are 30% lower than they were when i opened the account in 08. but the less i trade the fewer the trading costs eating up my little pile, so i'm tring to buy things i'll hold onto awhile, tho not necessarily a year.

The STO is still hanging above several daily gaps, theres a weekly gap too, i think i set that limit order at the base of that weekly gap, would have to go back and look. letting it come to me-i like it. cant do that so easy with the tsp.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

gave up on STO coming back to me anytime soon, cancelled the order. placed an order for USL, will see if can get that one filled at my price, low of the day.

Good luck with it!

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

So I got me some USL today. I put in limit order for base of the mornings candle, neglected to notice a small gap from yesterday- dang it, should have put order in at a price that would have closed the gap. instead, I bought in near the days lows, but still higher than if I'd gone for the gap-closer price.

Hey, I'm learning every day, getting better everyday at entry price. get it for the price I'm willing to pay or else don't buy, go buy something else.