Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: alevin's Account

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Default Re: alevin's Account

finally noticed where OptX hides their trailing stop action. haven't tried it, too bad I didn't have it figured out sooner. almost too late now for some of the stuff I've indulged in the last few months. Now I either hold for who knows how long, or I wait til I get REEALLLY good buy signals much lower and buy more to average down-usually a baaad idea. IAU, CEF, SLW? maybe a bad idea, maybe not, I'll be watching the Williams %R for buy signal and Keltner channels for trend change on the monthly, not necessarily in that order. The GXF, EWO and EWD-plays on euro-not sure where they're headed yet. undecided.

I didn't buy the weekly trading signal for OIL at beginning of the week-figured if oil-related stuff went up this week over my buyin price in USL, I could maybe trade up and out and be done with it, start over fresh on that theme a little differently.

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    The GXF, EWO and EWD-plays on euro-not sure where they're headed yet. undecided.
    Those are some light volume ETF's - at least compared to some of the more popular U.S. ETF's. EWO, for example traded 38,000 shares as of 10:22 AM this morning vs. 3 million share of SSO have been traded.

I'm not sure if it matters, but when liquidity is that low I always worry more about manipulation. They can be pushed around pretty easily, unless they are directly tied to an index, I guess.
    -- Tom | My Trades

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Sold 50 GXF this morning. Held since Sept 09. Profit @ approx 30% after commissions. multiple indicators suggested good time to sell. could have let it ride a bit longer, but decided to raise some cash for new buys. some better deals out there I think, or will be-got to make up for paper losses in IAU, CEF, SLW, URA, USL at this point.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

So along with selling the GXF this morning, I had a GTC sell order in for the 20 shares WMB I've been holding almost 2 years now-both were held in Roth account. sold the WMB for about 60% gain.

this was one of my first ever buys-pretty proud of it, but didn't risk much on it to begin with, didn't have much in the account to work with 2 years ago.

the more recent buys I guess I was less cautious, must have felt the wealth effect of fresh contributions to Roth-bot half and full positions. recent buys aren't doing so well at least shortterm. how longterm I'd have to hold the recent buys to recoup losses-could be awhile. a long while. debating selling the losers too-watching them go glub glub still a the moment. maybe I'll just average down now that I got some cash freed up. hmm.

In the Roth, I'm trying to start following that ETF14 weekly trading system I talked about, but the last 3 weeks they wanted me to trade in and out of EWO and OIL. the OIL didn't look good to me so I didn't buy that week, and the EWO tanked after I bought it the week it was supposed to do well, I'm still holding onto it hoping to trade at break even at some point. don't want trading costs to eat me alive.

Nice job on the 60% gain. Why is it that the small ones always work out the best? Probably because we take profits more on the larger holdings.
    -- Tom | My Trades

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

well shoot, I just realized I screwed up worse than I thought I did buying IAU AND CEF when I did. I forgot my plan to only buy them for the Roth account, not in the taxable account. bought at a high, watched them drop, now they are rising again...I need to sell them both and get them out of the taxable account where any profits get nailed for 28% tax as collectibles. arg. hits head. Plan the work and work the PLAN!!! at least I realized before had any screaming gains. I can use any loss to offset the longterm gains on the dbc at least.

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    I need to sell them both and get them out of the taxable account where any profits get nailed for 28% tax as collectibles. arg.
    Too bad we have to be SO concerned with taxes. For me, I would take the profits, keep the taxable part in a money market account, and then use the remainder to make more money... unless I am missing something...

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

I got tired of losing $ in CEF (thanks to the silver component). down about 9%. taxable account. I'll use the loss to offset gain from sales of dbc earlier this year. decided to keep the IAU in the taxable account a bit longer, try to at least break even.

In the roth account, I unloaded EWD for gain of about 6%. then unloaded SLW. bad buy, should have unloaded much much sooner when I saw the trade go against me almost immediately. that one hurt. but now I'm about 45% cash and able to hunt for something much more likely to pay off. not sure what that will be yet, but something will show up. I'm getting better at seeing technical buy signals all the time, just need to put it into practice. and learn how to pull the trigger to get out much more quickly when I've got a good gain in the Roth or see the trade go against me in a noticeable way. don't need to hang in for longterm capgains, not in this account, and not in this market.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

so today I put bids in on a couple ETFs-day trades-didn't get a bit on either one (XOIL and TSXV). put in day-trade bid on one stock-it bit. should have bid a little lower than I did on it, got a red outside candle on the day, it was up this morning before I went to work. but newletter I subscribe to said decent price right now, and the chart looked like a bull flag, so I went in small-all I wanted to afford of a $60+ stock-20 shares of RIG.

still holding IAU-finally showing a paper profit-barely. still holding others previously mentioned-not much to talk about there.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

sold EWO for a loss this morning. originally bought as a 1-week trade in an ETF strategy I wanted to start following. but it dropped the week I bought it so thought I could hang in and on, let it sneak higher then sell, meanwhile move on with next signals with other $. mistake. holding ewo on the side has inhibited my following strategy with rest of $. euro situation not going toget better longterm, time to give up, use the saved funds for something better.