Thread: alevin's Account

Default Re: alevin's Account

Hi Alevin

Somehow you slipped under my radar. WELCOME to the Board
    Candlestick crack addict...

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Talking Re: alevin's Account

JTH-thanks! Gotta make up some lost ground somehow for the crashing and burning in the antique mutual fund Roth and regular IRAs I'm still stuck in and the miniscule growth in the TSP. I've written them off long ago. Retirement is still a number of years away yet tho, so this is my risk proportion of the stash right now, small, very small, but more fun, if I don't gamble it away in trade fees.

Never bought a single stock or ETF til now. I like learning index market behavior-TA and fundamentals and starting to feel somewhat competant there, but brain starting to hit saturation point for new stuff after the past 2 years concentrated crash course fiscal edification.

Many things still mysterious re single stock/ETF trading-see most recent post before this one.

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    I like learning index market behavior-TA and fundamentals
    I'm not a big fundlementals guy, but when I do look at them, I like AOL's format and the amount of information they provide. It's my one-stop-fundlementals-shop

http://finance.aol.com/quotes/advanc...es-inc/amd/nys
    Candlestick crack addict...

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Hi all, thought I'd check in. Still figuring out my OptX account mechanics. My virtual trade setup says at trade permission level 0, I can short stocks. I tried to do that with AXO couple days ago in real account, it wouldn't let me. So last night I requested upgrade in real account to trade level 1-which definitely should let me short stocks, but they haven't upgraded me yet. I'm still at level 0-which corresponds to strictly cash account-I think. that's what I wanted initially and still, but I should be able to sell short, according to virtual trade account, so I'll be making phone calls next week to get this sorted out. I have enough in the real account to go on margin if I so choose, I'm just not ready to go out on that limb yet.

I'm also finalizing setting up Roth account, sending in paperwork today. Should be ready by next week. Once I get all these "minor" details figured out and resolved, I may become a little more active here. Still holding the GLD I bought recently. Prices back up to close where I bought in.

Oh yeah, when I make my phone call next week, I'm going to ask why the trailing stop setup only allowed me to set stop above the existing price, which pushed me into buying higher than the bid/ask was that morning (which I only figured out had happened after the fact). Lots still to get straight.

My virtual account, when I set it to trade level 0 still allows me to short, and also grants me margin-so inconsistent permissions relative to trade level 0 in real account, doesn't let me practice with conditions similar to what I have in real account-which is also aggravating-maybe they don't realize their system doesn't match between virtual and real accounts at that trade level. Will see. Next week. Later all, good trading!

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk! that's my chicken imitation for those wondering. I just don't have the nerve to go after 3x'ers. Too much adrenaline rush, you FAS/FAZers should go read the FAS Addict stream of conciousness thread over on ticker-forum-it's a genuine in-the-moment classic true tale of 1 day's worth of gambling addiction. Well worth the read for you 3xers. I felt the addiction process jetting through his body even as I read it.

So for me, the sedate? DDG (that's 1x short oil and gas). bought limit order today at 74.00. Stop set at 71.5. May move it up in the morning. I hear there are bots that roam at night hunting stops so they know where to drive the price to the next day. will see what happens. I just didn't want to get caught too short by not having any stop at all while I'm at work and can't do anything. Peace of mind sort of thing, ya know?

My other "sedate" buy this morning was IBB, limit ordered at 64.5. It went down pretty big today tho-was "supposed" to go up -I bought about halfway through the current spread. Maybe I'll set a stop in the am, depending on the early action.

So far, between my 3 adventurous buys, I'm only down about 1% (not counting commissions) as of today. Huh! Guess I don't call that awful, don't call it good tho either.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Well shucks. I guess I learn better by making real mistakes instead of virtual mistakes. I decided to bail DDG this morning after doing extensive analysis on other long/short oil related ETFs, decided USO is moving better than just about anything else at this point in contango cycle, which I'm still studying and starting to grasp, all too slowly, unfortunately.

Anyway, bought DDG @74 couple days ago, sold with stop order today @ 73.72 after watching streaming quotes this morning. Seemed like that was the best I'd be able to do today or week. Order filled quickly. I checked back a few minutes later and streaming quotes bid AND ask were both 74.4+!!! OK, don't have to hit me in the head twice.

Next time I do a stop-limit order or a stop with limit (may have to get help from OptX staff with that one, since the software doesn't give me sufficient direction how to do 1 vs.the other, looks like the same buttons get pushed, same price boxes used, not sure how to tell program to do 1 vs. the other.

Note to self: don't rely on sell-confirm signal on oil index or any other buy or sell (confirmed index signal) at Amer. Bulls alone, need to do charting due diligence with long and short ETFs both before jumping next time.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Wheeooo! Sure glad I didn't dump my GLD this morning when I dumped the DDG. I'd have been one sorry puppy tonight if I had. Fed/Treasury shenanigans may turn our world upside down in short order unintentionally, but upside down just the same and not a good scenario if it comes. My IBB shows a very firm doji/spinning top at the moment, will have to watch AH action and early am to make up my mind what to do about that. I'm considering my trading costs to be tuition fees at the moment. I hadn't planned on doing this much trading this soon, given the size of the pot I have to work with at present.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Lady found this wonderful site the other day, I've been taking full advantage. http://etfscreen.com

Based on what I'm seeing here, and also what I'm seeing in USO and USL and UGA charts and my shared belief with others here about general commodity direction going forward, I do believe I'll be putting $ into USO, DBC and/or DBE in the coming week and keeping there awhile.

Here's a cool correlation chart for these funds, from the same ETF site.
    DBADBCDBEDBSGDXGLDGSGUNGUSLUSODBA1.00 DBC0.801.00 DBE0.650.911.00 DBS0.500.480.371.00 GDX0.430.520.410.711.00 GLD0.240.320.220.730.761.00 GSG0.690.910.920.390.480.231.00 UNG0.360.420.460.170.23-0.000.471.00 USL0.500.740.760.340.370.170.740.351.00 USO0.590.870.920.340.430.220.930.380.751.00These 126 day (6 month) correlations can be considered short term, focusing on recent price movements.
    Correlations are only calculated for actively traded funds. As of: 2009-03-20.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Well, my IBB went up nicely today, almost back to even in my account, including trade costs. I don't like where the economy is gonna go, but hey trade the tape you're given, right? so I'm going long into DBC in the morning, put my limit order in tonight, below where the price range was today, ready for a pullback. If it doesn't come cuz I set the limit tooooo low, well, I'm still learning.

Tried to put a limit order in on DBE as well, but for some reason OptX thinks that's so special I need a PIN (in addition to my normal login password-what? I don't have a "PIN" in addition to my password-yet. don't even know what this is all about, the site says contact a rep, so maybe I'll do that in the am.

don't know why 1 ETF would require a PIN to place a buy order, another one doesn't, both are long commodity ETFs, guess I'll find out what the story is, but not tonight so I'm irked. I didn't want to have to muck around in the morning. high intensity work obligations are currently fully occupying my attention in the ams at the moment. easier to focus on this stuff in evening right now. oh well, least I got the DBC order in and the IBB went up today.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Bought IBB a few weeks ago at 64.5, sold today at 65.89. It was a gain, but not enough to cover the commissions so I'm down a little. thought about selling a piece of GLD today, decided against. Still got a good chunk of cash on the sidelines, even w/o the sale proceeds, so I'm prepared for tankage.

Learned something else about account management this am, wasn't able to do what I thought I'd be able to do...which was link my taxable to my Roth so I could transfer funds into my Roth a little more quickly, like we do with TSP between funds. Doesn't work that way, unfortunately. what the brokerage means by linkage isn't what I wanted it to mean. Bummer. They only mean that I can manage within each account from the other account, but I can't move funds back and forth between accounts. Rats! That means my 08 Roth account will be funded far less than I'd intended (I'd intended to move funds into Roth account from taxable account, which got started first), so I'll just have to save up harder to fully fund the 2009 Roth during the coming year.

I'm looking at turning off the TV and contributing those funds, since I rarely watch TV these days anyway. I'm also serious about making that change due to fact I haven't changed my cable service in 10 years, yet price has gone up 100% during that time-10%/year. Bad as the housing bubble. and yet the company is going bankrupt-(Charter). How does that work? Anyway, I figure I'll pull the plug-literally, within the next couple months if not sooner.
    Last edited by alevin; 04-14-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: readability