Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charting websites

Default Charting websites

I've been using the paid version of Stockcharts.com for about a year now and I love all the information on the site. I like being able to save favorite chart formats, I like being able to switch timeframes at the click of a button, and I love their 'market carpet' option which allows me to study the comparative strengths of a list of markets or ETFs.

I've noticed Tom and a few others who really know their stuff use a lot of Decisionpoint.com charts.

Has anyone used both of these two sites? If so, what do you think the strengths and weaknesses are, comparatively speaking?

TIA,
    Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Default Re: Charting websites

decisionpoint isn't as interactive as some programs. I just like all the pre-made charts and indicators they provide and update daily.
    -- Tom | My Trades

This site isn't a charting website, but it IS a great site to go looking for possibilities. It's interactive so you can click on a column and have it sort the EFTs by, for example, those that are above their 50 day exponential moving averages. You can change the sort pattern from greatest to least by just clicking on the column again.

I really enjoy playing with it. I hope you like it too.

http://www.etftrends.com/etf-tools/etf-analyzer/

Lady

Here is another EFT screener website that I found today. Haven't looked at who sponsors it or why yet (so that's a caveat for you possible emptors ) because I've been having too much fun using the screening tools and looking at the investment strategy suggestions.

For example, it suggests a swing strategy for international ETFs of buying the top 3 ETFs based on 6 month return and holding each one as long as it can stay in the top seven on the list. It has a similar suggestion for sector ETFs.

It's a pretty cool screener.

http://etfscreen.com/index.php

Lady

I like stockcharts.com, free.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    Here is another EFT screener website that I found today. Haven't looked at who sponsors it or why yet (so that's a caveat for you possible emptors ) because I've been having too much fun using the screening tools and looking at the investment strategy suggestions.

For example, it suggests a swing strategy for international ETFs of buying the top 3 ETFs based on 6 month return and holding each one as long as it can stay in the top seven on the list. It has a similar suggestion for sector ETFs.

It's a pretty cool screener.

http://etfscreen.com/index.php

Lady
    Checked it out briefly this am, I LIKE it! thanks!

I’m through with my assessment of the stockcharts.com subscription service.

It’s good, but it’s not great. But I have nothing to compare it to, so maybe it is great and I just don’t know it?

It’s not interactive. It’s missing a date slider. I have to manually punch in the dates or use a preset drop-down box. You can’t just slide a silder back like you can on Yahoo’s interactive charts.

I also don’t like the fact that I can’t put down multiple time frames on one chart. I can see a 5 min chart, but I can’t put down a 15 minute chart right next to it. I can see a 5 day chart, but I can’t put a 10 day chart right next to it.

The service has been very reliable, and there is a lot you can do, just not as much as I want to do. My newbie imagination has exceeded it’s capabilities.

But one thing this service has allowed me to do is examine all those indicators and time frames. After numerous hours tweaking and tweaking and more tweaking I’ve found what works for me, and it’s pretty simple.

Multiple time frames with Volume, Price, Simple Moving Averages, and Stochastics, that’s it.
    Candlestick crack addict...

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    I also don’t like the fact that I can’t put down multiple time frames on one chart. I can see a 5 min chart, but I can’t put down a 15 minute chart right next to it. I can see a 5 day chart, but I can’t put a 10 day chart right next to it.

The service has been very reliable, and there is a lot you can do, just not as much as I want to do. My newbie imagination has exceeded it’s capabilities.

But one thing this service has allowed me to do is examine all those indicators and time frames. After numerous hours tweaking and tweaking and more tweaking I’ve found what works for me, and it’s pretty simple.

Multiple time frames with Volume, Price, Simple Moving Averages, and Stochastics, that’s it.
    So, J, have you tried bestfreecharts.com? It's real time, you can do multiple timeframes, volume weighted price averages, volume buzz, and other cool things, and it's free. I would be interested to see what you can do with it since you ended up being such a wizard with stockcharts.com! Let me know what you think, okay?

Lady

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    So, J, have you tried bestfreecharts.com? It's real time, you can do multiple timeframes, volume weighted price averages, volume buzz, and other cool things, and it's free. I would be interested to see what you can do with it since you ended up being such a wizard with stockcharts.com! Let me know what you think, okay?

Lady
    I have looked at it from my home computer, and I must say I like the Gui and think it's pretty darn close to awesome! But I believe it uses Microsoft Silverlight, the same application software my Netflix uses.

The problem is I need something that is web based only and doesn't require additional software. That way I can access it from my phone, or any other internet connection.

I'm going to keep Stockcharts for now, but will continue looking for other alternatives. And I'll give the bestfreecharts another try again.
    Candlestick crack addict...

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    I have looked at it from my home computer, and I must say I like the Gui and think it's pretty darn close to awesome! But I believe it uses Microsoft Silverlight, the same application software my Netflix uses.

The problem is I need something that is web based only and doesn't require additional software. That way I can access it from my phone, or any other internet connection.

I'm going to keep Stockcharts for now, but will continue looking for other alternatives. And I'll give the bestfreecharts another try again.
    Yes, it does use Silverlight, so I can see that would be a problem for you. Oh well.

Lady