Thread: Hi All

Default Hi All

I told xl-entlady,over on tsptalk, quite some time ago that I was going to follow her over to this site. I finally got my rear in gear and signed up. I'm already very impressed by what's available here! I'm an almost 3 yrs retired small town Postmaster. I had to retire a little early and have had to take a monthly draw on my TSP to make ends meet. With the new limitations, my tsp accnt. is no longer covering my withdrawls so need to develop a new methodology, hence my interest in eft's. I'm getting close to a dicision and am leaning heavily toward Scottrade. Any advice from those of you more experienced traders would be much appreciated.--Ron

Default Re: Hi All

Hi Ron

Glad to see you made it over here The best advice I can give, is to not give any advise But you may want to try out some virtual trading, just to kick the tires. I've used Google Finance to log in my trades and it tracked the prices for me.
    Candlestick crack addict...

Hey Ron, again welcome!

May I offer a bit of humble advice? One thing I wish I could do over again is to start out with one or two small positions instead of triggering all my $ at once. Actual trading is just enough different than paper trading that, for me at least, it should have been a 'dip the toe in' thing instead of a 'dive in and find out the water is freezing and the bottom is shallow'.

But as I trade a little more and understand a little more, I can make a bigger % here than I ever could in my TSP. Another year and I may be ready to move my TSP to Scottrade.

Best of luck to you in your trading!

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Thanks Lady & JTH for the welcome and the tips. I don't plan to pull out of tsp until I file for soc. sec. in Aug. and I probably won't pull it all at once. I plan to dip my toe in with my tax overpayment $ just received, couldn't believe they actually paid me back. I also plan to use a practise accnt. as if I had a much larger amt. invested.

Welcome Ron! I'm a satisfied Scottrader.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Arrow Re: Hi All

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    Welcome Ron! I'm a satisfied Scottrader.
    Me too!

Welcome.

I'm a beginner too. Besides TSP, I've only been trading about a month.

I will offer the same advice... start off small, concentrating on only a couple positions. The first two I concentrated on was EFA/EFU. I practiced hedging them against each other.

-Rod
    "You rise. You fall. You're down then you rise again. What don't kill ya make ya more strong." - Metallica

Welcome!

Marty

Hi Ron,

I'm with Scottrade and do not have a single complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by USPSretired View Post
    I told xl-entlady,over on tsptalk, quite some time ago that I was going to follow her over to this site. I finally got my rear in gear and signed up. I'm already very impressed by what's available here! I'm an almost 3 yrs retired small town Postmaster. I had to retire a little early and have had to take a monthly draw on my TSP to make ends meet. With the new limitations, my tsp accnt. is no longer covering my withdrawls so need to develop a new methodology, hence my interest in eft's. I'm getting close to a dicision and am leaning heavily toward Scottrade. Any advice from those of you more experienced traders would be much appreciated.--Ron
    Welcome Ron,

You will like Scottrade