Thread: Comparing Candlesticks Side by side.

Default Comparing Candlesticks Side by side.

For those Stockchart.com members, here is a method you can use to compare Ticker symbol candlesticks side by side. Although this feature is limiting me to six symbols, I still find this method is a simple and quick way to get a feel for the leaders.

If anyone has a suggestion for a better ticker symbol to track technology, and another one to track the dollar on an hourly basis, I'm all ears.

Notes: I have them shuffled in order, based on Price performance and YTD Silver is the clear winner.

$SPX is actually 2 charts laid over each other. One based on price, and one indicator based on Price Performance. I had to do this because the main chart won't give you candlesticks based on price performance.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$SP...40&a=163701987
    Last edited by JTH; 03-21-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Smaller Chart
    Candlestick crack addict...

Default Re: Comparing Candlesticks Side by side.

Sorry, here is a smaller Chart

Attachment 58
    Last edited by JTH; 05-11-2009 at 09:49 PM.

JTH, your charting talents are awesome! I'm learning lots by looking at your cool charts and then going back and picking them apart to figure out how they are set up. Many thanks!

Lday
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Thank you Lady, I am enjoying the Stockcharts.com test drive. You know I hadn't realized people probably can't see all the settings, so here's another picture.

Attachment 60
    Last edited by JTH; 05-11-2009 at 09:49 PM.

JTH, this post wasn't worth starting a new thread. So I thank you in advance for borrowing this one.

I have used candlesticks ever since I started looking at charts. A couple of weeks ago I started looking at Kagi chart types and that made me wonder what other possibilities were out there.

Today I was experimenting with the possibilities at stockcharts.com and looked at the "Line (solid)" choice. At first I had the chart so cluttered that I couldn't see what it was telling me. So I cleared a bunch of the indicators and the lightbulb came on. It charts out the higher highs and lower lows. It's like Ira Epstein's swing-line studies. And it make it easy enough that even I can see it!

I've also been looking at bar charts to see which is the easiest for me to pull the information from. Candlesticks were the most informative to me for TSP when all that mattered was the closing price. But any time trading and ETFs mean a whole new world and I'm still figuring out which is the most informative way to pull the information.

What chart type do you like best?
    Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Lets look at $SPX (for C), $EMW (for S) and EFA (for I). We will also look at the $USD.

spxtoday1.jpg

SPX has fallen below the trading channel, and is resting on 50 MA support. SPX 768 is near the 20 MA (dotted line center of bollinger band). After a rally, markets like to return to the 20 MA, before continuing upward. SPX 734 is the line in the sand. This breaks and look-out. I will be looking for a TSP entry point for TSP C at 768. There could be a down-side fake-out first for one trading day.

emwtoday1.jpg

EMW is a strong chart. It is still within the trading channel and resting on the 50 MA, with the 20 MA just below. I will be looking for a TSP entry for S in this region.

efatoday1.jpg

EFA looks weak to me. It has fallen clear out of the trading channel. I will not trade I for reasons below on US currency below.

usdtoday1.jpg

USD looks strong to me. Contrary to what most are saying, USD did not even retrace to the trading channel, before taking off to the upside. It tested a 61.8% Fib recently and now is moving upward. Europes recession is following US and should be worse, making our currency a safe-haven. The trading channel is steep, and has much upside potential.

I've tried, but I just haven't been able to grasp the concept of the dollar, bonds/yields, and how they all tie together with the world's economy. I guess I'm just not wired that way... (yet)

Thanks for posting the charts there Uptrend, I've been post whoring charts left & right, so I need someone else to help balance things out and keep me grounded when I step out of line

I'm wondering about those two top triangle shaped trendlines on SPX. Are you expecting those to form some type of falling wedge channel? I really don't know that's why I asking

I bouhgt FAZ near the open on Friday April 3. I have been creamed so far, but hanging on. Here is a technical reason I bought.

April3.jpg

Notice the pattern I have drawn off the lows. Now look at this chart.

http://www.amateur-investor.net/Week..._Mar_28_09.htm

I know this is the INDU, but the point is the same. I was amazed the other day when I saw Tom's post showing overlapping bear market rallies off the lows. The 1937 -38 rally caught my eye right away, because so far this rally is closely tracking. Since early March the market has climbed about 25% off the low with the wave 1(A). Also it appears we have completed little wave a (with a little less pullback) and now are completing little wave b (which clobbered me today). But look at what is next - a little wave c which is a 61.8% retracement. This pullback can be 12% or a little more. The assumption is that we are following 37-38 trend (which may be incorrect), but other bear market patterns off the bottoms have similar trends. A 61.8% retracement could take us back down to the Nov 08 lows support area (around spx 735-740) - it works out very close to there based on the recent high. You will also notice the recent high completes an M pattern which is bearish. Perhaps Monday the market gaps up at the open making the right side of the M a little higher which is usual, then FAZ drops to $14, but by 10 AM FAZ is at $18 and the market is is deep in the red. Possible?

Nice work. I think you and Atilla are seeing the same thing... www.xtrends.com
    -- Tom | My Trades

Here is another view. What if we have not seen the markets lowest lows yet? Then all the bottoming count up in yesterdays post is null and void. What if the Elliot wave count 5 wave down finished wave 3 at 666, is finishing wave 4 around spx 845, and with wave 5 the market goes to new lows at around spx 500. Scary and very possible. Watch this video.

http://broadcast.ino.com/education/what_now_sp500/