Thread: Ferri Books

Default Re: Questions From Newbies Like Me

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    I see that Vanguard's VIPERS have a seriously smaller expense ratio than, for example, iShares. So that's good, but there's got to be a down side. What is it?

TIA to anyone who can give me some insight!

Lady
    Okay, further research leads me to believe that Vanguard's ETFs are a shareclass of their open-end funds rather than stand-alones, and so may not be as tax efficient (according to The ETF Book, by Richard Ferri). So apparently Vanguard ETFs are a good thing in a Roth IRA but may not be a good thing in a traditional taxed account.

Maybe ..... ?

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Default Ferri Books

tell us more about the Ferri book?

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    tell us more about the Ferri book?
    I bought the book to read when I started investing in ETFs. It was published in 2008 and you can get it at Amazon for about $20. The book has some good basic information in it and helped to fill some elementary black holes in my knowledge base, so that's a good thing.

I wasn't hugely impressed with the book, however, because it spends what (to me) was an inordinate amount of time explaining how to put ETFs into the little Morningstar tic-tac-toe squares of passive vs. screened vs. I-don't-remember what else.

I'm still looking for "THE ETF Book".

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    I'm still looking for "THE ETF Book".
    I bought "The ETF Book" by Ferri. Informative but quite dull actually. I never did finish it. It was very heavy into how ETFs evolved. Maybe I should give it another shot.
    -- Tom | My Trades