Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Prepared??

Default Are You Prepared??

I decided to start a thread on preparing for a bad econmic outcome. I'm not talking about building bunkers full of guns, ammo and 20 years of food though. More are you stocking anything, buying metal or planting gardens more than normal.

What if anything are you doing to prep for bond market dislocation and the subsequent civil unrest and shortages? Personally I give it a 10-20% chance that I will need some of my preparations, but I am not stocking up on anything I can't use in the future if things get better. I call it hedging both ends. JTH, Alevin and I have been talking on JTH's thread but I decided to start a new one to see if there is any interest.

Default Re: Are You Prepared??

Here what I have accumulated/thought of so far:

Enough ammo to hunt food for several months.
    Stocked up on seeds/gardening supplies.
    Canning and beer making supplies topped off.
    I've started storing some food but could only get by for a week or two right now. Would like to have at least a month of staple products.
    Stash of silver boullion/coin silver and cash in a lock box. I would have to get it out when things start south. I don't want to keep it in the house until I have to.
    Radio's with all county emergency channels programmed in. FRS radios for family comms.
    Extra batteries for radios
    Water purifier hand pump - 1 qt/min. Remove giradia and all other microbes.

Still to do:

3- 55 gal drums to make rain catchers/fill from well.
    50 gal gas for generator.
    Complete food build up.
    Extra bleach for batch water purification/storage.
    More propane.

For those not indoctrinated yet

Bug Out - to scram, split, leave, get the hell outta here. Mostly reserved for younger folks who romance about living in the "great outdoors." The smarter ones only Bug Out if they have a solid destination such as a cabin in the woods (lucky bastards).

Bug In - For those who can't evacuate or choose to shelter in. Mostly people like me who have a wife with 3 kids and can't fit the kids and the ammo in the minivan at the same time.

BOB - Bug Out Bag. Just in case you need to evacuate quickly and never come back. An assortment of important items you have with you at all times or have nearby. Usually comprised of 1 can of beans 2 bottles of water, 2 pounds of silver, 20,000 rounds of ammo and 10 guns.

BOV - Bug Out Vehicle. Your planned transportation for the Bug out. This can be a bicycle, motorcycle, quad, car, or truck. ideally it would be something you'd see in a Mad Max movie.

Sheeple - people who mindlessly live their lives and are never prepared. During times of crises they are the ones buying up all the perishable goods such as milk and bread. When the world ends many Sheeple turn into Zombies.

Zombie
    - Mostly seen in movies. They are essentially irrational mobs of people or anyone who wants to eat your brains. Zombies play an important role in the preparedness mindset because they help justify the amount of money we spend on guns & ammo.

That's just for starters...
    Candlestick crack addict...

I saw this website on Don Harold's site... http://beprepared.com/Default.asp?

Here's Don's video that mentioned it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh6JBKExJOI
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    For those not indoctrinated yet

Bug Out - to scram, split, leave, get the hell outta here. Mostly reserved for younger folks who romance about living in the "great outdoors." The smarter ones only Bug Out if they have a solid destination such as a cabin in the woods (lucky bastards).

Bug In - For those who can't evacuate or choose to shelter in. Mostly people like me who have a wife with 3 kids and can't fit the kids and the ammo in the minivan at the same time.

BOB - Bug Out Bag. Just in case you need to evacuate quickly and never come back. An assortment of important items you have with you at all times or have nearby. Usually comprised of 1 can of beans 2 bottles of water, 2 pounds of silver, 20,000 rounds of ammo and 10 guns.

BOV - Bug Out Vehicle. Your planned transportation for the Bug out. This can be a bicycle, motorcycle, quad, car, or truck. ideally it would be something you'd see in a Mad Max movie.

Sheeple - people who mindlessly live their lives and are never prepared. During times of crises they are the ones buying up all the perishable goods such as milk and bread. When the world ends many Sheeple turn into Zombies.

Zombie - Mostly seen in movies. They are essentially irrational mobs of people or anyone who wants to eat your brains. Zombies play an important role in the preparedness mindset because they help justify the amount of money we spend on guns & ammo.

That's just for starters...
    ROFLMAO!! Thanks, JTH.

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    I saw this website on Don Harold's site... http://beprepared.com/Default.asp?

Here's Don's video that mentioned it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh6JBKExJOI

I've gotten a few things from them. Hermetically sealed 10# cans of seeds are a really good buy on the site.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

I've checked out the Be Prepared site and thought about the #10 can myself. I decided to be more selective about the seeds I buy-all heirloom, suited to my climate and different seasons thereof. I'm trying to go for 4-season garden-cold frames, and eventually a greenhouse-maybe. coldframes first. But first the trees need to come out so I have more unshaded garden space. That should be happening this week. I ordered seeds about 3 weeks ago-still waiting on 2 orders-got one so far. I didn't realize I was ordering at peak season, they're behind on getting orders shipped. Heirloom-non-hybrid, if collect seed from plants, you should get reliable repeat type of plants and produce. With hybrids, no guarantee. I'm buying cool-season varieties, hot-season varieties both, to help extend garden at least 3 season and shorten the 4th non-season. Trying to reduce need for refridgeration by drying as much as I can, takes less space than canning. Other ideas-pickling, salting-old old ideas. Me I think I'm in a better bug-in location than my other family members if it comes to that-climate and property useability wise, think I'd have to hunker down and stay put, hope they pull through where they are.

I saw last night on news about a 30-something man and 16-year old son extradited from Mexico to face charges of attempting to murder and rob a cross-country skier-they told him they couldn't leave him alive as witness. Being that I'm a cross-country skier and so are friends-not where they were at least, but still....the country is becoming less and less safe even for people out enjoying the great outdoors. I'm taking note, may have to start carrying pistol just to go play in the snow for a day.
    Last edited by alevin; 03-31-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: incomplete sentence

We always try to have at least 3 months supply of canned and dried foods, ever since a tough financial spell the first decade I was married. Not having to buy groceries saved us then, so even though money hasn't been tight since, we still have the groceries and rotate stocks carefully so that what we store is really what we use on a regular basis.

We have a good hand pump water purifier, because while I still was able to go, we did whitewater rafting.

We just took out half our back lawn so that we have a garden spot. Before this year all we had was a little exterior grow box. But the more I read about nutrition, the more I'm finding out that now they breed produce to travel well and that has the unintential result of breeding nutrition out. Most new varieties of produce have measurably less vitamin content than heirloom varieties, for example. So since my body needs all the help it can get, we're going to grow our own, hopefully more nutritious, foods.

Regarding guns and ammo, my spouse is ex-law enforcement and he worked undercover for a lot of that time, so the gun safe is always stocked and has been for decades. That's also why we've always had a bug-out bag packed and ready. And don't forget to rotate the medications in your BOB!

Regarding communications, we have a ham license and some high powered walkie-talkies. And a close relative (living close by and closely-related, both) is a big cog in the federal emergency response machine, so I'm hoping that covers that one. We won't think about Katrina.

So that's my preparedness report. FWIW.

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Angry Re: Are You Prepared??

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    I've checked out the Be Prepared site and thought about the #10 can myself. I decided to be more selective about the seeds I buy-all heirloom, suited to my climate and different seasons thereof. I'm trying to go for 4-season garden-cold frames, and eventually a greenhouse-maybe. coldframes first. But first the trees need to come out so I have more unshaded garden space. That should be happening this week. I ordered seeds about 3 weeks ago-still waiting on 2 orders-got one so far. I didn't realize I was ordering at peak season, they're behind on getting orders shipped. Heirloom-non-hybrid, if collect seed from plants, you should get reliable repeat type of plants and produce. With hybrids, no guarantee. I'm buying cool-season varieties, hot-season varieties both, to help extend garden at least 3 season and shorten the 4th non-season. Trying to reduce need for refridgeration by drying as much as I can, takes less space than canning. Other ideas-pickling, salting-old old ideas. Me I think I'm in a better bug-in location than my other family members if it comes to that-climate and property useability wise, think I'd have to hunker down and stay put, hope they pull through where they are.

I saw last night on news about a 30-something man and 16-year old son extradited from Mexico to face charges of attempting to murder and rob a cross-country skier-they told him they couldn't leave him alive as witness. Being that I'm a cross-country skier and so are friends-not where they were at least, but still....the country is becoming less and less safe even for people out enjoying the great outdoors. I'm taking note, may have to start carrying pistol just to go play in the snow for a day.
    I haven't ordered seeds for this year yet, guess I'm behind. Picked the 10# cans as a hedge/investment. They will keep for several +10 years if stored correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    We always try to have at least 3 months supply of canned and dried foods, ever since a tough financial spell the first decade I was married. Not having to buy groceries saved us then, so even though money hasn't been tight since, we still have the groceries and rotate stocks carefully so that what we store is really what we use on a regular basis.

We have a good hand pump water purifier, because while I still was able to go, we did whitewater rafting.

We just took out half our back lawn so that we have a garden spot. Before this year all we had was a little exterior grow box. But the more I read about nutrition, the more I'm finding out that now they breed produce to travel well and that has the unintential result of breeding nutrition out. Most new varieties of produce have measurably less vitamin content than heirloom varieties, for example. So since my body needs all the help it can get, we're going to grow our own, hopefully more nutritious, foods.

Regarding guns and ammo, my spouse is ex-law enforcement and he worked undercover for a lot of that time, so the gun safe is always stocked and has been for decades. That's also why we've always had a bug-out bag packed and ready. And don't forget to rotate the medications in your BOB!

Regarding communications, we have a ham license and some high powered walkie-talkies. And a close relative (living close by and closely-related, both) is a big cog in the federal emergency response machine, so I'm hoping that covers that one. We won't think about Katrina.

So that's my preparedness report. FWIW.

Lady
    Since we are SAR volunteers, the Trailblazer is always full with 48 hr packs for my daughter, my wife and myself. Bugout is grab the guns, ammo and anything else we can carry and we are set for several days in under 5 min.