Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Prepared??

Default Re: Are You Prepared??

Ammo is still scarce across the country. In some cases it's not for lack of production, just high demand.

My dad runs a gun Forum, so he keeps me briefed on current events. .380 has been almost non-existent. The latest claim was that was that .380 is made in smaller batches and it's not made year round like other more popular calibers. In additon there have been some newer .380 pistols introduced recently, so the ammo demand has gone up.

I'm telling you now, if you could trade ammo like gold & silver, you'd be rich.
    Candlestick crack addict...

I heard the same thing from a friend of mine. We were having lunch and he said he was going to the range afterward. He is getting ready for a long motorcycle trip and he brings two concealed weapons with him. I asked him about the ammo situation, and he said the shelves are very thinly stocked at the gun shop these days. I have a couple of boxes of .38's and .357's, myself. I can't image I'll need more than that unless I end up in a shoot out with some bandits.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Tom, I'm going to assume you have a nice revolver, have you given any thought to matching it up with a .357 lever action rifle? That's a pretty darn good combination to have and a prepper favorite.

I can't think about a lever action, without thinking of...

rifleman-header.jpg

I'm going to the "Big City" Las Cruces this afternoon.

I'll be going by Sportsman's Warehouse to view the ammo shortage upclose. I don't normally pick up ammo there because they are pricy and I like to shop locally, but I may have to pick some up if they have it.

I also have to go by Hobbie Lobby with the wife. Lord give my strength...

-- Tom | My Trades

It's very hard for me to watch those videos and not get agitated. From Joe Public's perspective it might have seemed it was a fair and balanced story.

Why did they mention several of those crazy gunmen and not point out all the crimes stopped by guns everyday?

Why did they not point out the cities with the highest crime rates have the harshest gun control laws?

I better stop now before I come off sounding like an NRA pamphlet...

OBTW Sportsman's Warehouse is closing down 23 stores. They told me they will be opening their store back up in the fall. 99% of their ammo was gone, but i don't think they are restocking.

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    Tom, I'm going to assume you have a nice revolver, have you given any thought to matching it up with a .357 lever action rifle? That's a pretty darn good combination to have and a prepper favorite.

I can't think about a lever action, without thinking of...

rifleman-header.jpg
    JHT,
    You aren't old enough to remember the rifleman. Boy does that bring back memories. But I date myself.(oops)

I finally broke down and bought a Taurus 357 back in Feb for myself. My ex left all of his guns and rifles here when he left but (thought) I wanted something smaller. The gun shop owner recommended this one. I had told him I wasn't really wanting to leave such a big hole in someone(thinking of the mess). He said "Dead people don't testify". He then told me that he was an ex police officer and had seen too many of the wounded purps sue anyone that only winged them. He also said that anyone entering my home univited that their intent is to rob or harm, so don't give them any opportunity to do so. He definitely made his point and the sale. The Taurus shoots both 38 and 357 ammo. So my thought is to practice with the 38s. Hope I will never have to use it.

Other preparations include growing a veg garden and canning what I can and looking for a generator so I can at least run it long enough to pump water from the well daily. If that fails, I live right along the river, so I can boil it. I certainly have enuff wood around me for cooking and keeping warm. And there are plenty of deer, wild turkeys, squirrels, and groundhogs.
    So, for being a city-fied, gun-toting WV hillbilly I think I could do ok, but praying I won't ever have to.
    Debbie

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Still haven't taken the step into weaponry, but its still on the list. Today tho finally got most of the trees taken out of the back yard that have been limiting utility of my space for planned survival needs-garden, future greenhouse, future chicken-keeping, compost pile, burn barrel.

Work remains to be done however, unfortunately the highest priority work from my perspective-the contractor did not leave adequate instructions for his guys this morning, I came home at end of day while they were still working and asked if they were coming back tomorrow-they told me that they thought they were done, I told them no, the bid item I most needed them to get done this month remains undone.

the faller said he could come back tomorrow, I told him if his boss the contractor needs to talk to me about it first, he should call me in the am. we do have the bid in writing and it was thoroughly discussed in person and standing looking at the tree in question. Kinda like the rest of my day today, setback after setback, just when I thought things were finally good to go. Arg.

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    Funny you should mention the .357 lever, I have been thinking of getting one to compliment my Rossi 6". I like one ammo for 2 weapons concept. Great minds......

Got off top dead center and went looking for a .357 lever today. Decided I should quit thinking about it. Not a one in town anywhere. I did find a couple 30-30s but no .357. I did find a couple on line but it is a pain without a FFL and I would have to pay a local dealer to process the paper. There is a gun show coming up May 1 locally. I may try and check that out.