Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Market Talk April 2009

Default Re: Market Talk April 2009

Here are a few minor observations I've noticed. We tested the 60 minute 50 SMA and the 15 minute 200 SMA all day today. We've also created a small 4 day channel.

Considering the 20 point drop today, I was surprised the a scan didn't turn up more bearish results.

sc.png
    sc1.png
    Candlestick crack addict...

We got another bounce on the channel, any thoughts on where the breakout will happen?

sc.png

It looks like a bull flag, actually. That would mean a move higher?? But it's not a buy signal until the declining trend breaks to the upside.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Saturday, April 11, 2009

ETF Rewind - Week 15 (04/09/09)

(Click Image to Enlarge/ Glossary)The holiday shortened week brought us a fifth period of gains, first cooling off overbought conditions only to then close higher on the unexpected positive pre-announcement from Wells Fargo (Reuters - Fargo Boosts). In fact, the S&P500 (SPY) posted a large gap higher Thursday to end the week up +1.8%.

Week Sixteen of 2009 features both the opening of the earnings floodgates, and key retail sales, manufacturing and housing reports, as follows:

Over the longer-term horizon, the NASDAQ 100 (QQQQ), Emerging Markets (EEM), and several major Sector ETFs are now within striking distance of their 10-month moving averages, potentially confirming the apparent change in investment tone. Additionally, the VIX (implied options volatility) has now downshifted below 40. Note, however, in as much as we appear to be breaking out of the down-trend channel, how stretched the VIX has become. It will be interesting to see how the broader markets react as these leading indices respond to their first key level tests. Meanwhile -- Enjoy Your Holiday Weekend!

http://marketrewind.blogspot.com/

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Wow, the financials are up strong in this down market. Dow down 70. FAS up, FAZ down.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    Wow, the financials are up strong in this down market. Dow down 70. FAS up, FAZ down.
    Yes I thought that was strange. I need to stop trying to make sense of this market, especially the financials. Like Jeff Macky said last week. "The game is fixed"

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    Like Jeff Macky said last week. "The game is fixed"
    LOL, love Macky. I am torn over something he said the other day. He said, "deal with it folks, the bottom's in", or something along those lines.

I'm not sure I agree, but I dont think we can make money fighting Macky. At least give us a test of the lows so we can buy low.
    -- Tom | My Trades

This may not be the right thread for the post because this link has data for far more than just April. But I found this "ETF Lab" link on Traders Talk and it has a huge amount of ETF data that we should probably all absorb. And I've still got company so my time is short. I encourage everyone to check this one out.

http://www.traders-talk.com/mb2/inde...=post&id=10592

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

As always Lady, thank you for the excellent link.

OBTW did you read the slope for hope? Excellent analisys on what type of market grops we have.

FAZ is making some small gains today. That would make perfect sense now that I'm not holding it.

So if a dog bites your hand do you continue to pet the dog? I do

Anyways, Once again our defender of common sense, CNBC's Jeff Macky was swatting down those other pesky traders Monday. Once again those other traders were trying to prop & pawn off their holdings on Joe Public, while Jeff tells us the truth about Oil, Copper, Gold, & the financials.

FAZ Y U B like that?
    Attachment 119
    Last edited by JTH; 05-11-2009 at 09:50 PM.