Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Market Talk May 2009

Default Market Talk May 2009

It's interesting that bonds, gold, silver, AND stocks are up.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Default Re: Market Talk May 2009

Yes, very schizophrenic market. Hope it's not psychotic too!

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Being a realist has not made me any money since March 666. Watching this market, sometimes I believe I'm the only one who thinks we are trading short-term success for long term disaster.

We are living in three different Americas. On the left is the "yes we can" crowd supported by the ever-buying Feds who are pumping this market with false hope.

In the middle is Joe Public who doesn't realize he'll lose his job when his employer gets taxed into oblivion.

On the right is the "Ron Paul" crowd. That would be me and I happen to believe Metals are telling the real story here.
    Candlestick crack addict...

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    On the right is the "Ron Paul" crowd. That would be me and I happen to believe Metals are telling the real story here.
    Which action in the metals do you mean: The strong rally off the 2005 lows, the inability to break 1000 and pullback to 700, etc.?

I am assuming you mean buy metals to protect yourself against the inevitable inflation and possibly worse, but why the heck has gold stalled at 1000 for the last year? I guess it could be basing and getting ready for the next leg up. That seems likely.
    -- Tom | My Trades

And has anyone been paying attention to the move that CUT (trees) has started to make?!

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    I am assuming you mean buy metals to protect yourself against the inevitable inflation and possibly worse, but why the heck has gold stalled at 1000 for the last year? I guess it could be basing and getting ready for the next leg up. That seems likely.
    Tom, when it comes to these markets you've probably forgotten more than I'll ever learn. I can't speak to Gold @ 1,000 except to say that owning a dime sized piece of gold for over 100 bucks does not seem like much of a value to me.

Looking at March 666, I think precious metals have held up rather well when you look at how far the S&P 500 has climbed. For all I know, this may be the last time we see prices this low.

As for industrial metals I have to ask myself who is ramping up production? What will happen when/if China decides they have enough inventory of copper?

Like that guy on CNBC says. You want to own things that hurt when you drop them on your foot...

Here are some Price performance charts with the S&P 500, Gold, Silver, Copper, Aluminum, & Platinum. I'm trying to build a base in metals for the long haul.

March 666 chart
    1.png

Year-To-Date chart
    2.png

10-Year Chart (from this time frame, collecting aluminum cans yielded better results than buying stocks .
    3.png

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    Here are some Price performance charts with the S&P 500, Gold, Silver, Copper, Aluminum, & Platinum.
    Just to be fair, because different time frames yield different results, here is a 20 year chart that puts the S&P 500 in the number 2 spot.

4.png

March 23rd 2009 http://www.etftalk.com/forum/showpos...3&postcount=49

I yield to the greatness of the "Guy" who called 900... and here is the video http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1063907914&play=1
    Last edited by JTH; 05-05-2009 at 01:39 AM.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Quote Originally Posted by XL-entLady View Post
    And has anyone been paying attention to the move that CUT (trees) has started to make?!

Lady
    Wow! Another commod opp I've been overlooking! And I'm in the biZness of paying attention to that one too! From the sidelines anyway. Hmm. cellulosic biofuels anyone? Maybe it's to do with remodeling. Hmm. will have to do some research.

As for PM's, other sites I'm reading have been amazed that PMs have held their ground as well as they have in the face of the equity advance, indicating what JTH is inclined to believe, me too-I think oil/PM market is forecasting not 6 months from now but next 12-months to boot. GLD is holding up above Ichimoku cloud so far also, since I bought, how much longer that will go on, I don't know, just trying to get back to where I started before I sell and wait for a better buy-in later in the year.

Commod strength-why I am hanging onto my DBC even tho it's just been meandering in a narrow trading range since I bought-I think its basing-for a move down or a move up again, guess will find out. Since its' at the low end of last year's ramp and drop already, I'm guessing next major direction is up again, just not yet. Noticed that POT and MOS went up today on strength. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    It's interesting that bonds, gold, silver, AND stocks are up.
    Little something for everyone.
    "Don't let your highs get too high and don't let your lows get too low." Bullitt’s Market Blog