Thread: Managed Futures

Default Managed Futures

I am interested in opening a managed futures account with a CTA but have no idea where to start. The funds I've found either need a very high amount of $$$ to open or won't even give a small fry like me the time of day.

Does anybody have any ideas? Perhaps somebody on the MB has a managed futures account or a managed FOREX account and would like to shed some light on how to get my foot in the door. (Or if it's even worth trying!) I'm not necessarily looking for own my personal trading platform, but instead some kind of futures fund that I could diversify with instead of a long only mutual fund.

I have found a few managed FOREX accounts with low initial deposits, but I don't know how credible those companies are.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    "Don't let your highs get too high and don't let your lows get too low." Bullitt’s Market Blog

Default Re: Managed Futures

I haven't a clue myself. The only person I know of who appears to know his way around Forex is Frixxxx on Tom's other MB. Maybe you could PM him with questions?

Good luck!

Lady
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

I don't know any either, but I see some of the Google ads that popped up in this thread are pointing to CTA's.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    I am interested in opening a managed futures account with a CTA but have no idea where to start. The funds I've found either need a very high amount of $$$ to open or won't even give a small fry like me the time of day.

Does anybody have any ideas? Perhaps somebody on the MB has a managed futures account or a managed FOREX account and would like to shed some light on how to get my foot in the door. (Or if it's even worth trying!) I'm not necessarily looking for own my personal trading platform, but instead some kind of futures fund that I could diversify with instead of a long only mutual fund.

I have found a few managed FOREX accounts with low initial deposits, but I don't know how credible those companies are.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I am actually an equity raiser for a managed futures fund. We have a minimum of $15,000. We are not able to go too far below that because then there is not too much room to execute all of the trades our CTA wants to act on.

Let me know if you want anymore information.

I'd be interested in hearing more. Please, post whatever you think we may need to know. I think futures are foreign to many traders so anything you provide would be helpful.

I have my own futures account but it might as well be a roulette wheel. They usually chew me up and spit me out. Hit my stops and run it the other way, etc., blah, blah, blah - fill in all of the amateur excuses.
    -- Tom | My Trades

Quote Originally Posted by etftalk View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing more. Please, post whatever you think we may need to know. I think futures are foreign to many traders so anything you provide would be helpful.

I have my own futures account but it might as well be a roulette wheel. They usually chew me up and spit me out. Hit my stops and run it the other way, etc., blah, blah, blah - fill in all of the amateur excuses.
    Haha I always here trading futures being compared to gambling, but I think that is because most people only look to trade in the short-term where markets tend to be more volatile.

For people who may not know exactly what managed futures is, I will give you a fairly basic explanation.

Managed futures act similar to a mutual fund. You would fund your managed futures account, and a CTA(Commodity Trading Advisor) then trades your account on your behalf. You do not have knowledge of trades made until you receive a monthly statement on your profit/loss and whatever trades had been made on your account.

Now, in a lot of cases I find managed futures as a perfect match for people who are looking to diversify their portfolio and are not interested in trading...they are just looking for supplemental income.

I am finding that a lot of people entering the commodities markets and not having success, but still interested in trading and learning how to trade successfully. I always recommend to these people to set aside funds in one of our managed futures funds, and then trade with another funded account yourself. This way they have made both an investment and an attempt to learn how to trade.

I currently raise equity for two funds, one is called the Epoch 3 fund and the other is called the Medallion fund.

The Epoch 3 fund requires an initial investment of at least $15,000 and takes more of a conservative approach to the markets than the Medallion fund. The return on this fund for 2009 was 37.2%.

The Medallion fund requires an initial investment of at least $50,000 and will partake in more aggressive trades than the Epoch 3 fund. The return on this fund for the year 2009 was 32.13%.

As always with trading futures, past results are not indicative of future results.

I hope this helps you guys/girls who are curious about managed futures.

Let me know if there are any other questions
    My Educational Commodities Blog
    There is a substantial risk of loss in trading futures.

Looking forward to your wisdom and words JEL. Welcome aboard.
    "Don't let your highs get too high and don't let your lows get too low." Bullitt’s Market Blog