Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Burrocrat's Account

Default Re: Burrocrat's Account

I put in a GTC limit buy for BRK/B at 79.99, they own BNSF and Gieco, trains and insurance commercials are some of my favorite things.

Plus, it costs exactly as much as my new watch. Long term hold for ROTH account.

Here's a customer service experience:

I wanted to do a trailing stop last week just to see how it works and couldn't figure it out on ZSL, (I'm not complaining, I made out just fine on the trade, but) it would be useful to know how to do that in the future.

So I called the 1-800 number at the top of the screen when I log on to my Schwab internet accouts and say into the anwering machine "I want to learn how to place a trailing stop."

In less than a minute a rep gets my vitals information and transfers me to a broker in Denver who is licensed to do business in my state. I explain how and what I trade with limit orders etc. and that they aren't going to be making a killing off me in comissions for a while at the levels I'm at. It turns out you need to have their 'active trader' software platform to place trailing stops and other advanced features, but it only takes a trading frequency of 36 per year among all accounts, and I'm on that pace, just haven't hit the totals.

It is all free and they don't care if your trades are mostly comission-free in-house ETF's. In fact, they will set me up with the upgrade at no cost for a trial period, and tutor me on how to use it. If I maintain that trading level I continue to have access, if not then back to where I was. No cost whatsoever.

They even scheduled me a session with a person with authority to uprade my account during a convenient time period next week to install software and place a trailing stop on UNG already in my account just to learn how it works, but not on Tuesday because there is a little league game that night. He also remarked 'good trade on ZSL, taking profits is not a bad thing, perfect spot for this type of order', and looks forward to working with me. He also wished the boy's team luck in the game next week. Now I have a direct number with extension and typical work schedule for questions or assist when needed from a live body. No cost unless I ask him to execute a trade for me, apparently the salary contract with Schwab covers all the questions and information for free.

15 minutes total in and out, pleasant, accurate, and quick, how's that for service?

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Well now, maybe that esplains why I haven't learned how to use trailing stops myself. I only have choices of stop orders and stop-limit orders currently, with OptionsXpress. I don't do options-yet, just ETFs and stocks, but...Schwab is buying OptX this fall. and I hadn't gone for the 36 trades/ year deal at OptX due to cost of commissions and my account value aggregates being quite low yet. I can talk to real person pretty quick on phone tho, and get great customer service-they swear that won't change when Schwab takes over-prognosis is good from your recent experience.

So, what I'm hearing you say is that it'd be worth my while to go to the 36 trades/year deal-trailing stops and everything-at least once I have access to Schwab ETFs commission-free. they have access to ADRs too-which is something I don't have access to currently. excellent. starting to look forward to the merger/buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by burrocrat View Post
    Here's a customer service experience:
    Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know that service is still a priority with some firms.

Scottrade people seem very nice but I never tested them to see how far they'd go.
    -- Tom | My Trades

I put in a GTC limit buy for BRK/B at 79.99, they own BNSF and Gieco, trains and insurance commercials are some of my favorite things.

Plus, it costs exactly as much as my new watch. Long term hold for ROTH account.
    Bought BRK/B @ $79.99 and SCHX @ $31.99 today for the ROTH acct.

Limit buy order in for SCHA @ 36.99, day only brokerage acct.

Never did get the SCHA for the brokerage account, prices still a little high for my taste, also looking at COW, but not buying yet for the same reason.

I bought MSFT @ 24.635 today for the ROTH, shareholders of record on May 19 get the dividend in June, I'm excited it'll be my first ever, and I checked the dividend reinvestment box so we'll see how it goes, longterm hold for this account.

Never did get the SCHA for the brokerage account, prices still a little high for my taste, also looking at COW, but not buying yet for the same reason.

I bought MSFT @ 24.635 today for the ROTH, shareholders of record on May 19 get the dividend in June, I'm excited it'll be my first ever, and I checked the dividend reinvestment box so we'll see how it goes, longterm hold for this account.
    I had also thought of moving into MSFT, but all my spending money is locked up in stocks that, well, have gone down quite a bit recently...

Besides, I think my plan is to hit my sell points, and then just move everything into ETFs.

Good Luck Brother !

I picked up COW @ 28.99 in the taxable account there somewhere during the downtime.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Check the dividend-reinvestment box? cool. That will definitely be a Schwab value-add for my OptX accounts once the acquisition goes through. OptX currently makes it not easy to do div-reinvestment. Have to call them and find out if DRIP is possible for a particular stock, have them set it up from their end. Check the box availability will eliminate that barrier for me.

there will be more account fees coming when Schwab takes over (OPTX has free services that Schwab charges for @ 25/pop), talking to broker for free is one of those currently free services, but with check-the-box, I won't have to call broker to do div reinvestment. An acceptable tradeoff.

Schwab rep that set me up with upgrade trading status/software said OPTX buyout is still on for Q3, probably will exist side by side for a while, so you might have increased capabilities, but two interfaces at first, then will merge software at some point.

Streetsmart.com is what they call it, liveweb platform no download, see all your positions at once with current bid/ask rolling realtime, conditional orders like writing a query only with drop down choices and it translates into english for review before pushing the button, learning from the webinar tutorials right now, get a free hour one-on-one when I want it, I went for the set me up with the access and let me figure it out for a bit plan, I'll call you when I have a list of questions or tasks I want detailed help with, totally satisfied with customer service.

I have never paid any fees except on non-Schwab stock and ETF trades at 8.95 each way.