Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Burrocrat's Account

Default Re: Burrocrat's Account

I own UNG - but is killing me because it is not moving with the price of Nat Gas as it is supposed to.
    -- Tom | My Trades

liquidating positions across the board:

Quote Originally Posted by burrocrat View Post
    11/27/09 bought SCHF at $25.43 put half of stake back in.
    and: 11/30/09 Buy SCHF at 25.45, -0.59 discount, roth ira.

12/01/09 Sell all SCHF at 26.00, average in is 25.44, +0.56 per share, +2.20%.

11/09/09 Bought SCHX at $25.52, filled 9:30 am, roth ira acount.
    and: 11/30/09 Buy SCHX at 25.72, -0.39 discount, roth ira;

12/01/09 Sell all SCHX at 26.01, average in 25.62, +1.52%.

man this free trading thing is fun.

11/30/09 Buy SCHA at 24.91, -0.54 discount, brokerage;
    12/01/09 Sell 1/2 position SCHA at 25.40, +0.49 per share, +1.97%.

Left the original purchase still in, 1/2 of position, gonna do the buy and hold thing on this part: 11/09/09 Bought SCHA at $25.65, filled 9:30 am, brokerage account.

brokerage website shows:

roth ira account +2.27%.

brokerage account +0.55%.

I don't know if these are exactly right, something seems missing here.

I've just been doing some simple math: current account value - contributions in / contributions in = %.

Santa is bringing me some new software so i will input trade history and see how it shakes out.

Pretty sure the numbers will come out positive though.

Now if my latest payroll contributions would clear i might have enough to justify commissions on a real investment.

Looking at natural gas on a multiyear time horizon, but it would chop 1.5% of my current balance on both ends of the trade, gonna take a pretty big jump to the upside to make that economical.

researching possibilities anyway.

2) i notice on the trade confirmations that one of the funds had a -0.01 discount and one had a 0.08 premium. i guess this means i paid that much more (or less) per share than the market price? i did not notice this info when i placed the trades, will have to pay more attention next time.

3) we are talking only a few hundred dollars per trade so i put all my available cash in up to an even number of shares, account summary shows i now own the shares but trades don't settle until 11/13, most of my balance is tied up in unsettled funds. what happens if i want to sell before then? do i have to wait until it settles to sell the shares? if i can sell before settlement, and then have two unsettled transactions, do they just keep a running tally of what happened when and eventually i realize a net gain or loss? if so, can i continue to do this multiple times? i read a thread by xlentlady about never trading with unsettled funds but don't understand why, i wonder if i'm about to learn another lesson the hard way here?
    Well it looks like trading unsettled funds is a go, so far so good.

And thanks, Alevin, for the premium/discount heads up, that has proved profitable.

well they've all moved higher since i pulled the trigger, dammed if you and dammed if you don't.

i don't like the little hit you take on the bid/ask with market orders, but the market seems to know when i placing limit orders and runs right past me.

profits is profits i guess, just goes to show i'm not as good at miming the tarket as i think i am.

not much fancy charting skills here, although it all goes into the mix, mostly a sentiment trader, the market after all is just a social construct.

Pretty sure the numbers will come out positive though.
    Just had to go and tempt fate there didn't I?

12/01/09 Buy UNG at 9.04

profits from the recent free trades cover the transaction fee in, it will be up to the fund to carry the fee out and any gains.

checked out general energy plays as well as GAZ and UNG. UNG has lower expenses and more upside potential in my opinion.

target is $9.25 to cover commissions and grab minimum 2%.

buy and hold for the roth account here, slowing down a bit, new contributions should clear in a couple of days, will start again with free trades then.

Commission free? Where do you trade?
    -- Tom | My Trades