Thread: S&P time to pause?

Default S&P time to pause?

I keep getting this feeling we're about to head down, as soon as the Santa rally is over. Could be ANY day now.

Getting ready to short.

Default Re: S&P time to pause?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I keep getting this feeling we're about to head down, as soon as the Santa rally is over. Could be ANY day now.

Getting ready to short.
    yeah, i have this feeling of impending (short-term) doom too. i went the most conservative i've been in a long time on the work retirement account, liquadated brokerage into all cash, and am only holding two ETF's in roth ira, both of which i am comfortable with a long-term buy and hold.

considering playing the foreign ETF for small gains though, if something big happens it may start there, plenty of chances to get back in later.

I am a little torn on this. I have been assuming that the market will drop after the new year also, but it seems to be becoming the obvious move that I am thinking the market could fool us all and continue higher. I'll be interested to see the sentiment surveys this week.

Still, I made a lot on money in December and I'd love to book those gains before they have a chance to disappear.
    -- Tom | My Trades

I wouldn't look for a serious shorting opportunity until central banks from around the world begin withdrawing liquidity and removing the backstops that brought confidence back in to market. Of course, if we're talking shorting for 10 points on the S&P, your guess is as good as mine. But if we're talking about falling off a cliff, then I'd have to say we're trying to pick a top.

I think the best LT bearish idea is to short treasuries on any strength.
    "Don't let your highs get too high and don't let your lows get too low." Bullitt’s Market Blog