Thread: Getting Started

Default Getting Started

Hey etftalk folks
    I decided to open a brokrage account and start investing outside of TSP. I got a laddered promotion recently, and just moved away from the city, so my rent is cheaper than it was before. This opened up a doorway to be able to throw around already-taxed money into an account that I will be trading ETFs on.

I am going to use the same strategy as my TSP, but incorperate the use of shorts instead of a G-fund. I will also take advantage of leveraged ETFs.
    I realize that it comes with greater risk, but this is the time to test my strategy with very high risk, I believe. I don't have a ton invested (10k), and I have years and years to recover if it doesnt go as planned.

Also, i will only be trading high volume ETFs... 800,000+

My first trade will be on Monday.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Default Re: Getting Started

congratulations on the promotion, p82, and good move out of the city. I'm still playing in rangebound DBC and GDXJ and GXF, have been holding, may sell soon if I can at least break even on them from point I bought in. DBC is upward bound at the moment.

Be extremely careful with the levered ETFs, especially the inverses, they are only meant to be used for very short-term trades-a few days, a week, the up and down moves with any extended hold will chew away your base.

alevin,
    Tell me how it chews away at your base. I will look around the forum for more information on this in particular.

alevin Guest
    AutoTracker

Quote Originally Posted by peterson82 View Post
    alevin,
    Tell me how it chews away at your base. I will look around the forum for more information on this in particular.
    Hi p82, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. The information is out there in a lot of places. Here's a discussion that's pretty clear, should help you a lot on decisionmaking about what and when and how long to hold. rots a ruck out there, it's a rough time to be learning, but oth, no time like the present either.

http://www.my10000dollars.com/etf-time-decay/