Thread: New to ETFs

Lightbulb New to ETFs

Just joined from the TSP board.

I'm trying to soak in all the info here about ETFs and whether they are for me or not.

currently I just paid off 90% of my debt and am working to build my families emergency fund which has been non existent due to large debt payments(which are gone and have freed up tons of monthly income! Yay for me!)

I want to take as much advantage of the market to try and build this emergency fund which will be receiving a $2k jump start using a portion of my tax return. I will also be contributing at least $200 monthly into it and am "hoping" to hit my $10k goal within 1.5 years. After which the money will be placed into a nice security type area for those rainy days.

I was originally looking into mutual funds for this but have grown a new interest in ETFs.

We shall see if perhaps these are for me.

Default Re: New to ETFs

Hey, new here myself. Seems to me not too far off from stocks....missed the 2009 low bandwagon. Theres still a few purchases out there though, just have to sift through all the overpriced stuff....like diving though the big DVD closeout bin at walmart.

Welcome to both of you! I would suggest investing on paper only for a bit until you get the hang of it.

There are a lot of good articles on this site. Read up. And we're all here to help each other ....
    If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok

Welcome ozzyman! Yeah, ETF's are much more versatile and liquid. There are some cost concerns and some things you may need to know that you don't in stocks, but for technical analsis, I like them.
    -- Tom | My Trades